FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower fibre than should be, given packet loss etc. throttling at cabinet modem.

farmeroz
Team Player
Message 26 of 26

OK, I have upgraded from fibre 35 to fibre 65.

Absolutely no change in throughput and I suspect that there is throttling at the cabinet modem.

Router and one telephone (master base unit) connected directly to BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4. Enclosed result is one of the fastest I have seen, mostly they are 35-38Mbps.
Master socket and wiring installed from post new 12 months ago.
Occasional noise on line but note zero errors downloading, suggesting line speed from box modem is sub maximum, if it were close to maximum there should be some errors, not a minuscule amount (given multi gigabit transfers).
Occasional noise on line but note zero errors downloading, suggesting line speed from box modem is sub maximum, if it were close to maximum there should be some errors, not a minuscule amount (given multi gigabit transfers).
Here speedtest by modem software direct and extracts from my modem log showing essentially zero transmission errors on download which strongly suggests downloads could and should be faster.

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25

farmeroz
Team Player
Message 21 of 26

Not sure I have any individual microfilters left, in any case they are unlikely to be up to the standard of the Mk4 faceplate.

In any case this is not relevant, that would be relevant if I were seeing a high error rate, whereas the error rate is currently zero. Ideally at full speed it should be circa 0.1 to 1%.

0 Likes

farmeroz
Team Player
Message 22 of 26

07/04/21

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 23 of 26

Hi farmeroz,

Just to confirm, when did the upgrade complete as it can take DLM up to 10 days to fully optimise the connection? Is there any increase in speed if you connect the microfilter, router and phone at the test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes

farmeroz
Team Player
Message 24 of 26

Slightly faster right now, but still no packet drops, suggesting faster is well attainable.

When I had this problem with BT they pulled the cabinet modem learning algorithm and set it at agreed rate much higher than the algorithm ever achieved and everything went fine after that.

I would suggest another +10% would be good.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 25 of 26

Hi farmeroz,

I've run a test on the line now which is clear. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then retest again as this will reset the current session.

Thanks

0 Likes