FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speed than the WIfi Hub suggests I should have

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Message 52 of 52

Hey,

Our Wifi Hub is showing a down speed of 39.9Mbps and upload speed of 10Mbps, yet connecting to it with ethernet and doing a speed test returns a speed of between 29~31Mbps down (it hit 28.5Mbps once too), and ~9 upload on both speedtest.net and speed.io. Downloading from the net things seem to hit 3.6/3.7MBps (steam, origin, uplay, through a browser). So not sure what's going on.

I can't see the noise margin on the Wifi Hub either, yet I could when I connected the HG635. 

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers.

0 Likes
51 REPLIES 51

Message 41 of 52

Hey Debbie,

AFAIK, it's been mostly fine since changing the filter. However it has just dropped with an inbound call which didn't show up on caller display. Is it possible that our two issues are related?

Cheers,
Rob

Edit: In all honests, i don't think the filter is the issue and I think I've just been lucky/not noticed since changing it over with the exception of this evening.

0 Likes

Message 42 of 52

Hi Rob_B

Apologies for the delay.

How have you found the connection since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Message 43 of 52
Update: I've also noticed that twice on incoming phone calls the internet has dropped, as such I've changed filter. I can't remember which one I got with the WiFi hub and which one I had on originally, annoyingly they look identical! Amusingly, the WiFi hub says it's been connected for 5 days, so it's obviously on the christmas spirits XD
0 Likes

Message 44 of 52

Heya, 

speed has definitely increased, I'm downloading from steam/origin at around 4.6/4.7 MBps, whereas before it was around 3.4/3.6MBps.  

The connection seems to randomly drop though, I can be downloading for ages with no issue (78GB of Battlefront 2) while on teamspeak and have no issue, then suddenly the internet will disconnect.  

Think it's done it a few times, maybe 5/6, but it's difficult to tell because, unless i missed it, the WiFi Hub doesn't allow too much filtering of it's logs and it starts with the oldest entry first (there's 300 pages!).  Ping/packetloss is fine, heck even when I am downloading at the above speed, my ping to our teamspeak server is only at 90 ± 10 and packetloss<1%.

Any suggestions or info that you can think of?

Merry Christmas,

Rob

0 Likes

Message 45 of 52

Hi Rob_B,

Ok thanks for the update and please let us know how the connection compares 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 46 of 52
Hi Michelle,

Done the above, TTs speed checker is giving me 404 errors, speed.io returns 37.6 down 9.5 up, Fast.com returns 35 down 7.7 up. So speed has gone up, will have to see what stability is like on Teamspeak.

Cheers for the help!
0 Likes

Message 47 of 52

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update. As the sync speed has now increased. Could you try switching the router off for a full 30 minutes and then run another wired speed test to see if there is any further increase in throughput speed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 48 of 52

Hi Chris, 

Managed to do some speed tests, ethernet speeds show about ~30.5Mbps/31Mbps down 9.3Mbps up.  This actually mirrors some additional testing I did over WiFi on speed.io. Sync speed is now up to 40Mbps, shame the down speed is so much further away from the sync speed than the up speed is. Never mind. 

Cheers,

Rob

0 Likes

Message 49 of 52
0 Likes

Message 50 of 52
Hey Chris,

Yea I wasn't sure if that was the case or not, it just seemed like a bigger margin than when we were on TTs ADSL and it's getting near to the minimum guaranteed speed, dropping below it that one time. I shouldn't complain really, it's much better than the 3Mbps we were getting! XD

Originally thought it might be my 10+year old belkin draft n usb adapter, but it's holding up surprisingly well with the Wifi hub! Will do some tests later on this evening and post back.
Cheers,
Rob
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 51 of 52

Hi Rob_B,

Throughput speeds are always lower than sync speed, generally around 80% but can be higher or lower. Current sync speed is 38Mbps. Can you run a couple of speed tests at least 10 minutes apart on the My Account speed checker on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router (can you try to make sure that no other devices/applications accessing the internet at the time). Can you post the results

Chris

0 Likes