FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower speed than the WIfi Hub suggests I should have

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Message 52 of 52

Hey,

Our Wifi Hub is showing a down speed of 39.9Mbps and upload speed of 10Mbps, yet connecting to it with ethernet and doing a speed test returns a speed of between 29~31Mbps down (it hit 28.5Mbps once too), and ~9 upload on both speedtest.net and speed.io. Downloading from the net things seem to hit 3.6/3.7MBps (steam, origin, uplay, through a browser). So not sure what's going on.

I can't see the noise margin on the Wifi Hub either, yet I could when I connected the HG635. 

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers.

0 Likes
51 REPLIES 51

Message 21 of 52

Heya,

Internet has been dropping connection still.  It's strange how it's perfectly fine most of the time (looking at stats to a teamspeak server) and then will randomly drop out.

Cheers,

Rob

0 Likes

Message 22 of 52

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update and please let us know how both the stability and speed compares 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 23 of 52

Hey @Chris-TalkTalk,

Super hub is now connected as of this morning - not sure if I've done it correctly or not.

Super hub LAN1 to WiFi hub WAN port.
Firewall on Super Hub disabled.
WiFI on Super Hub disabled.
DHCP is still enabled on Super Hub -  i assume since everything is connecting to the WiFi Hub it wouldn't matter, plus not sure how the Super Hub would handle the WiFi hub if I turned it off
Super Hub is using 192.168.0.3
WiFi Hub is using 192.168.1.1
I can access the Super Hub through the WiFi hub fine.

Super Hub Reports -
Max downstream rate 44400
Downstream rate 39999 (we're on the 40Mbps fibre)
Noise 4.9dB
Max upstream rate 11250
Upstream rate 9999
Noise 7.5

Have I done the equivelent of covering a leaky pipe in duct tape and praying? emoticon.smileyface.title

Cheers,
Rob

Edit: I also found a spare new and unused filter+cable combo in a box, so threw that on

0 Likes

Message 24 of 52

Hi Rob,

Yes it should be fine to do that, please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 25 of 52
Heya,

I suspect the static will probably come back to be honest.

I've definitely changed filter, I'm not sure about the cable or router. I do have a HG635 to test with - is it alright to run the HG635 in modem mode and then use the WiFi hub to be the router? The WiFi hub has better wireless and the older cable leaves the HG635 under a bookcase. Assuming modem mode on the HG635 + WiFi hub as router is possible.

Cheers,
Rob
0 Likes

Message 26 of 52

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply.

If the noise is no longer present then we can focus on the dropping connection.

Have you tested with a different router, cable and filter? I can then raise this dropping connection fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 27 of 52
Heya,

Just did a test calling from my mobile, I couldn't hear any static or noise at the very beginning of the call like we normally get. The phone is still connected to the test socket.

Thanks,
Rob
0 Likes

Message 28 of 52

Hi Rob,

I've re-checked the connection stats and I can see re-connections on the line since your last post. Is the static/noise still present? Is the router also still connected at the test socket at the moment?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 29 of 52
Hey Michelle,

Yep I can rebump on Monday. I assume that you can see the disconnections at your end then?

Cheers,
Rob
0 Likes

Message 30 of 52

Hi Rob_B,

I'm sorry to hear this and I'll take a look now. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looked very stable up until the last 48hrs. Could you bump your thread on Monday and we can re-check the connection stats again to see if we can see any further re-connections on the line?

Thanks

0 Likes

Rob_B
Conversation Starter
Message 31 of 52

Hey,

So since the last time I posted, as far as I know, we've had no issues until yesterday bar some latency spikes, though that could be WiFi being WiFi.  Yesterday the WiFi Hub decided to not do anything, even failing to allow a login even though it loaded the login page.  This resulted in me resetting the router using the on/off switch at the back since I couldn't do it any other way. 

Started up fine, it then resynced back to 40Mbps for the 37/38 it had been on since we last tested.  The internet has disconnected at least twice, once around/after midnight, once today about 12:30.  The phone was in use today, but I don't think it disconnected upon receiving the call, so not sure if it was related, caller display worked fine.

After the call ended, I phoned the house on my mobile several times, caller display worked each time, and static appeared as it does right at the point of pick up before going.

I then unplugged the filter from the test socket and ran the phones on their own.  Static still occured upon pickup.

I then switched off our powerline adapters, and unplugged the router from the mains too. The static was gone, possibly a coincidence.  I turned on the powerline adapters, still no static, I then turned on the router, and still no static.  I then reconnected the filter with the phone and router back into the test socket returning everything back to how it was, and still no static. 

So, I'm kinda at a loss.  I did the whole unplugging the router/powerline adapter because I've seen some other powerline adapters cause havoc with the noise margin on our phoneline and cause noise on the phone itself even though they're no way connected to the phone line - no ethernet in them.  After googling when it happened, I realised that certain powerline adapters can do it, and I returned to our original bog standard ones that had been running for years and caused no issues - what we're currently using now. 

Can you guys track the disconnections? Because I can't with the WiFi hub, even now it's showing it's been connected since last night - presumably when I turned it off/on.  It's not showing the connection uptime since it disconnected. 

Cheers,

Rob.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 52

Hi

These type of issues can be difficult to identify if they are intermittent.  

Corrosion at some point on a line can cause intermittent resistance issues or earth faults in wet weather.

Let us know when you have retested and we can take this further.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 33 of 52

Heya,

Yep I can do, but I've just swapped out the cordless for the corded phone and noticed there was no static upon picking up the phone. Swapped back to cordless and there's still no static. This is without removing the filter/router. The internet also didn't disconnect and caller display worked fine.
I could swap it out currently, but it's not going to show anything at the moment because it's currently, bizarely, static free. This seems like it's going to be a massive pain to pin down!

I suppose the only thing I can do is try and wait for a disconnection and then try and test around that time?

Could it be possible that the Open Reach engineer missed something that was "ballsed up" by the original engineer that swapped us to Fibre? Since the original issue was no internet but phoneline was fine after switching over, could they have failed to check the phone connection?  

Cheers,

Rob   

0 Likes

Message 34 of 52

Hi Rob

Would it be possible to remove the router and test with just the phone and filter at the test socket? This will help us rule out if the router is causing the noise on the line.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 35 of 52
Heya,

The corded handset was connected via the filter with the router still attached. I wanted to do more testing to try and hear the static while using the corded handset, however the phone line has been in use. I can add my mobile, but the signal in our house is mediocre at best.

Cheers,
Rob
0 Likes

Message 36 of 52

Hi Rob

Thanks for your reply.

Was the corded handset connected at the test socket with the router removed from the line?

Please can you also add an alternative contact number to your Community Profile, I can then raise this fault over to our Network Team for investigation.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 37 of 52
Heya,

Since the last wall of text, I've had another phone call from and the internet didn't disconnect. I then tried calling on my mobile and also no disconnections. Static on the line upon pick up both times (possibly reduced).

I plugged in our old corded phone, tested a couple of calls, and static still seems to be there. Also no disconnections. I also let the phone ring and had no disconnections.

Cheers,
Rob
0 Likes

Message 38 of 52

Hi Rob_B

Have you also tested with a different phone?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 39 of 52

Heya,

So my testing so far this morning, because it booted us off again after receiving a call where caller display failed us at 8.15am, has consisted of

1) Test call will my mobile as is, using filter #1, longish ring probably around 20 seconds
2) Test using test socket, using filter #1, longish ring probably around 20 seconds
3) Test using test socket and previous filter, filter #2, longish ring probably around 20 seconds
4) Test using test socket, using filter #2 not letting the phone ring for as long, phone ringing for ~3/4 seconds
5) Test using test socket, using filter #2, just letting the phone ring, phone ringing for ~30/40 seconds

Results
1) Initially I had no caller ID this is the same as the last few calls we've received though it's a bit hard to track as our phone doesn't log calls if there is no caller display (rather bloody unhelpful!). Broadband also disconnected.
(N.B. I should note that caller display has worked as recently as yesterday afternoon and I've not been fiddling with anything to make it not work. See also thread here https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Home-Phone/Intermittent-crackling-and-no-caller-display/m-p/2284... )

2) & 3) Plugging into the test socket, I now have caller display (possibly coincidental). Broadband disconnects still. Tested several times, results the same. Upon picking up the phone there seems to be a large amount of inbound static noise that disappears quickly. This is only heard on the house phone. Swapping filter made no difference.

4) Not letting the phone ring for as long, so literally the 2-4 seconds for caller ID to come up and instantly picking up, broadband stays connected. Initial static noise is still there.

5) Letting the phone ring, broadband disconnects (possibly less static noise?)

Other things

Static noise may, and I stress may, be reduced after the router disconnects. Hard to tell to be honest.

There appeared to be no noise on the mobile end, but hard to tell due to not having great signal and what seems like the way mobile calls seem to only transmit after a voice activation threshold has been met. Definitely not the same level of static that the house phone has, unless it's not being transmitted by Three.

When we were disconnected yesterday after receiving a phone call, before Teamspeak stopped receiving info from the server it had an increase in downstream packet loss to 0.4%, upstream packet loss was 0%. This could be something or nothing, we were having downstream packet loss later that night of roughly the same amount but in my opinion that was probably another issue. I'm pretty good at detecting very small amounts of packet loss or latency issues on Teamspeak, which is how I picked up on it later that night, but didn't pick up on anything just prior to the internet disconnecting. Mentioned because it was downstream packet loss only.

Final thoughts

Problems seem to occur when the phone rings. Due to the nature of caller display occuring when the phone rings, I assume this could also be the reason that it has randomly not worked.

Internet doesn't disconnect on quickly picked up inbound phone calls, I assume the router manages to recover the Broadband connection fast enough to no drop it.  

Sorry for the wall of text!

Cheers, 

Rob

Edit: WiFi hub still showing connection uptime as 9 days 23 hours, even though it's reconnected multiple times and dropped the sync speed slightly too.  I assume the firmware for the WiFi hub is a work in progress? emoticon.tongue.title

0 Likes

Message 40 of 52

Hi Rob_B

Thanks for your reply.

A voice fault can affect the broadband connection.

Would it be possible to connect the phone, router and filter at the test socket and make a couple of test calls to see if this affects the BB connection?

Is there also any noise on the line? (crackling)

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes