FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slower than expected

Zoe2021
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 14

I'm more than a little confused.
I have Fibre 150 package yet the d/l speed is usually around the 100mb/s mark so I'm curious why I'm paying for the 150 service yet the service being delivered is closer to the 80MB service?

The cabinet is quite literally on my neighbours driveway, it is fibre enabled (FTTC) according to Open Source data as well as a BT OpenReach engineer and is more than capable of delivering 330mb/s to each of the two residential properties this cabinet serves. If the cabinet was connected to our home via fibre (FTTH) we would be able to get over 1Gb.

I am aware of the 'guaranteed' and 'average' speeds etc but really curious to find out WHY I get much lower speeds than I'm paying for when the infrastructure is capable of delivering well over double the speed I'm getting and for both residential properties served by the cabinet.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Zoe2021

This will just show us if it's a wireless issue, if the wired speed tests are ok.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

I can if I can find a 3 metre LAN cable. So if you need LAN connections speed tests, why does the website specifically state speed tests must be done through wi-fi?

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hi Zoe2021

The line tests aren't detecting any faults and the sync speed looks good.

Please can you run 3 wired speed tests at different times of the day?

0 Likes

Message 4 of 14

I don't think that would serve any useful purpose to be honest. The TalkTalk router and GFast router are less than a year old and the speed tests have been consistent during that period.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 14

Hi Zoe2021

Would you like me to send a router for testing so we can rule this out?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

I see this speed on my laptop, my wifes laptop is turned off and I don't have the password but general we see similar speed results on multiple devices whenever we run speed tests at the same time. Speed test was done wirelessly because that is what they ask you to do on your webpage but there is only very small differences in latency between wireless and LAN in any event.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 14

Hi,

Can I just confirm, do you see the same speeds on more than one device? Was this last speed test wired or wireless?

Thanks

0 Likes

Zoe2021
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 14

We've finished measuring your speed, and here are your results.120.6 Mbps average download speed, 23.4 Mbps average upload speed.

As I said in my opening post, the speed we are getting is more than enough for our needs but I'm curious WHY it is currently only 80% of the speed for the package we are paying for and quite frequently less than 70% of the speed we are paying for (even give the small % loss because of wi-fi as against a direct LAN connection. 
When the OpenReach engineer installed the socket and GFast modem (because TalkTalk don't actually have a modem that is capable of delivering GFast speeds) he said our 'line' would easily deliver close to 1Gb (and well over that if FTTH).
Would upping the sync rate help in delivery the speed we are paying for?

I'm just confused that the hardware seems significantly more capable of delivering that the speed we actually get. 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi Zoe2021

Thank you. The line test hasn't detected any faults and your line is in sync at 151mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test once the router has been switched back on?

Debbie

0 Likes

Zoe2021
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 14

Done! Sorry for the delay, I just assumed your be able to find everything using the account number 😞

Message 11 of 14

Hi Zoe2021

Please can you also add your landline number so we can locate your line details. This should show in My Account.

Thanks

0 Likes

Zoe2021
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 14

Oops, added my account number instead of landline number but I think that should work for you anyway?
I haven't used or had a landline phone in over 15 years 🙂

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 14

Hi Zoe2021

Please can you add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes