FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slowing Down speeds

FlopFlop
Participant
Message 33 of 33

So here's the thing. Many, many posts on here about wifi speeds dropping after a certain amount of time. So probably an infrastructure problem.

Mine drops from 50 mbps to 1 inside a day. 

I work from home so not ideal and very frustrating.

Solution? Call the friendly TT customer service in the Philippines, they can surely help.

4 months later we have had two, (outsourced to TT) engineers inside the house. The first could not be bothered and just switches the router. The second engineer, mind you this is after hours on the phone to the terrific call centre in the Phillipines to get another engineer arranged,  identifies the problem and renews the master socket. He states that there are 'earth faults' on the line and if it happens again the fault can only be originating from outside the house. He is not allowed to touch that stuff.

It happens again, albeit after the new Master Socket takes a little longer to drop speed, so a call to the Philippines to arrange an Openreach engineer.

After another 50 minutes of my life wasted on the call whereby yet again  needless testing is done,  I am told they can't arrange the OR engineer as their system does not register the problem.

I am tired of talking to someone who does not care, sticks to the script in front of them, does not acknowledge people have serious problems trying to work from home except with the numerous obligatory " I aplogise you are experencing problems". 

Don't even get me started on trying to watch Netflix. Restarting the router a couple of times a day is the ONLY solution. 

Now (as per 27-01-2022) I have to wait 30 days for TT to improve my speeds. If not I can leave without termination fee's ( whoop whoop).

Guess what TT , its not going to happen until something is done to fix the lines entering the house.

I can't wait to leave this awful company, all I ask for is a stable connection, 20 mbps is ok for me, don't need anymore. 

Receiving emails and texts now to upgrade as they have worked hard on the network in our area.

Don't do it, they can't deliver!!

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32

Message 1 of 33

Hi FlopFlop

Would you like me to send the replacement router for testing so we can rule this out?

0 Likes

FlopFlop
Participant
Message 2 of 33

Still resetting router at least twice a day. Still having trouble working from home. Now 4 months in. And of course TT is now going to charge an extra £ 2,42 a month. So inside 12 months the second price raise, totaling more than 20%. Nice job guys.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 33

Hi FlopFlop

We dont use scripts on the community, but there is a process that we will follow to help this is based on the many, many years of experience that the community team have,  your router was last replaced 27/01/21, so the offer of a replacement is justified, as all line tests are not showing any issues

Just to confirm TalkTalk have no control over DLM this is automated by Openreach's systems and only Openreach engineers can manually alter it. 

I can PM you the engineer visit notes, cant give you his personal details that's not allowed. 

Regards

0 Likes

Message 4 of 33

Hi Arne,

I am really not sure why you at TalkTalk do not understand the problem. It is fair to say that you are not helping, you go through a basic script without really wanting to look into a real fault. I have again just lost work because the line dropped. There is a problem on the line!!! It is not stable. Your own (outsourced) engineer witnessed the drop when he was here.

The router has already been replaced, not quite sure why you have not been able to see that on my account and the same problems occurred, so please inform me how replacing it again would help? Stating I refused is a bit strong, as I only said there was no point!

I will follow your complaints process, of course you will have already taken £65 from me which is not valid. The engineer did find faults, the SNR was not performing and he reset to 6 db on the download and your own engineer who visited previously found 'earth' faults on the line.  So again, I ask you if that is not a 'fault' on the line what is.??

Also please PM me the engineers details so I can follow this up because his log differs from what he informed me. He also told me that TT would bear the cost as they were at fault with the SNR setting.  I have no reason to make this up, but all the more to doubt TT's version.

I still have an ongoing problem, so please advise how you are going to fix this? I will restart posting my speeds on this forum until you finally realise that you are dealing with actual people with actual problems.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 33

Hi @FlopFlop

Sorry that you are unhappy with the assistance from the community 

I have reviewed the thread, its not fair to say the community team did not try to help, with the problem you reported, the first thing we do is run line tests on each occasion they showed no faults at all, so we on the community try to rule out a problem with the router by offering a replacement but you refused it, and requested an engineer, which we arranged for you,  for the booking to go ahead you also had to accept potential charges. 

The engineer report states that he performed the tests at the master/test socket and there was no fault found on the line and , therefore based on the notes from the trained engineer, we have to advise the charge is valid 

The community does not have a facility to download your thread , you could always screen shot the interactions. If you want call recordings, then you would need to submit an Subject Access Request information can be found here :https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Access-information-we-hold-on-you/ta-p/2204726

In relation to raising a complaint to CISAS they will always ask your to follow our full complaints process in the first instance,  the complaints process is found at the bottom of this page but the link is here https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Raising-a-complaint/ta-p/2204670  if after 8 weeks no resolution is found then a deadlock letter can be issued. 

Once again we can only apologize for the problems you have reported, if there is anything further you would like us to help with please don't hesitate to ask. 

Regards

Message 6 of 33

So Michelle, you are wanting to arrange another engineers visit? Another £65 on my bill?

The last engineers visit  has not helped which you are billing me for and I heavily dispute, please inform me where I log my official complaint for that. 

Also inform me on how best to download this whole post for my records  (including PM's) and all the telephone logs of my calls to your SD so I can raise a complaint with CISAS. This problem with my broadband has been going on for months.

Basically you are not helping at all, but just going through your script. I have a genuine problem for months, which I hoped would have been resolved. It is starting to effect my mental health dealing with this on a daily basis. Will TT refund me my Netflix subscription as we have had a number of films that have been unwatchable due to buffering?

@ Chris, Karl did respond but again not much help.

Looking forward to your earliest response

0 Likes

Message 7 of 33

Morning,

If the connection is still unstable then we can arrange an engineer visit, would you like us to arrange this for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 33

Hi FlopFlop,

I can see that Karl has replied or your PM. If the connection is still unstable all we can really do is arrange another engineer visit I'm afraid.

Chris

0 Likes

FlopFlop
Participant
Message 9 of 33

Hi Chris,

As mentioned the connection remains unstable with speeds dropping in and out.

To add insult to injury TT are now charging me for the Engineers visit although I have repeatedly said that there is a fault on the line. I have now stopped my direct debit and will pay only what I owe, if I paid for what I receive then TT would be getting 50% of the contract value.  I have had three different IP's over many years and I'm afraid to say that TT is ranked 3rd by a long shot. Not only disappointed but very very frustrated that I need to be busy with my broadband signal EVERY day instead of getting on with life(it's not fibre, thats over half a mile away where the exchange is but that's how all the IP's sell it) . 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 33

Hi FlopFlop,

Unfortunately we can't manually alter the SNR, it's automatically managed by BT Openreach's DLM system. If the connection is stable DLM will change to a faster profile and if it's not then it will change to slower profile. How has the connection been over the last 24 hours?

Chris

0 Likes

FlopFlop
Participant
Message 11 of 33

Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):

I am not sure if the engineer from Openreach reported it to you but he thought that the problem was the SNR download speed which was set at 3db. He reset this to 6db and although incoming speed dropped from 70mbps to 65mbps (coming into the router) the wifi did seem a lot more stable for several days.

However it has now resorted again to being unstable and slow speeds. I have checked the router and the SNR has dropped from 6db to 4.8db (as seen above) and incoming speed back to 71 mbps. 

Can you do something your side to ensure it stays at 6db as reset by the engineer please or if not is it known why it drops again?.

Furthermore, it seems we have a REIN issue on our line, but I did not get the feeling that Openreach would/could do anything about it. Around 6 P.M it  seems the line drops very quickly. Not sure if you can measure this from your side over  a week or so?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 33

Hello,

Thank you. I've re-run the line test now which is clear and I can see 1 re-connection on the line. Unfortunately we can't manually set the profile as this is managed by DLM. How unstable has the connection been since then? Did the engineer specifically mention a possible REIN issue?

Thanks

0 Likes

FlopFlop
Participant
Message 13 of 33

Hi guys,

Michelle asked me to post on original topic, I have sent PM on results of engineers visit.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 33

Hi FlopFlop,

I've booked the earliest appointment available - February 03 2022, PM (13:00-18:00) - please let us know how you get on

Chris

0 Likes

Message 15 of 33

Hi FlopFlop,

I've sent you a PM

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 33

Hi FlopFlop

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 33

Hi Debbie, its not a router issue.

Please arrange openreach engineer asap. Thanks

0 Likes

Message 18 of 33

Hi FlopFlop

Thank you, this can be a router issue so it may be worth testing the different make and model of router.

If you would like me to arrange an Openreach engineer visit then I can arrange this for you.

0 Likes

Message 19 of 33

Yes it does for an amount of time and then drops away to nearly nothing. 

0 Likes

Message 20 of 33

Hi FlopFlop

Ok, If you reboot the router does the speed increase straight away?

0 Likes