FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some devices unable to connect to the internet.

les10064
Team Player
Message 14 of 14

I’ve been using a TalkTalk WiFi hub for the last 18 months without any problems and during that time I’ve not made any changes to my setup apart from adding a few WiFi devices. Recently I tried to add a Logitech Harmony Hub (used to enable a smart phone to control a TV and linked items) but was unable to connect it despite trying numerous attempts. I swapped the TT WiFi hub for a TP Link Archer VR600 modem router, which was the one I used before I received the TT hub and has the same SSID and password. I was still unable to connect the Harmony Hub, so I swapped back to the TT WiFi hub. I did a factory reset and changed the SSID and password back to the one I’d been using. I then found that several devices did not connect automatically to the internet and despite trying numerous times have been unable to connect them manually. However, most of my devices did automatically connect as I expected they would.

My set up is as follows –

Hard wired to the WiFi hub ethernet sockets – 1 Philips Hue hub, 1 Yale hub, 1 windows 10 desktop PC and 1 TP Link powerline AV600 adaptor plug. Linked to the Powerline plug there are two TV.s connected to local TP Link Powerline receivers and 2 TP Link Powerline WiFi plugs.

Wirelessly connected to the WiFi hub – 2 Nest cameras, 2 Android smart phones, 1 Android tablet, 1 Chromebook, 2 Nest mini smart speakers, 1 TV and 4 TP Link Tapo smart plugs.

The devices that I cannot now connect are – 2 TVs either wired or wireless, 1 TV wireless, 1 Nest camera and 2 TP Link Tapo smart plugs which won’t stay connected. When trying to connect TVs wired the TV displays “You can connect to the internet, but internet connection is not possible” and wireless “No network functions can be used. There’s a problem with network connection or setup. Access point of wireless LAN not found”.

I usually manage to sort out most problems with the help of Google, but this has flummoxed me. I’m reaching out to the community, in the hope of receiving some advice to enable this to be resolved. Thanks.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 14

That's great, the main reason I think is that the mesh (they all use the same channel which I don't like) is at least giving the pod closest to you when you took these screenshots, a decent enough signal strength compared to the other two. Perhaps they have logic in them that reduces the output levels from the pods, so as no one interferes with the other (you do need a clear 20dB head room). Out of interest, are they backhauled over Ethernet to your router or via WiFi?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

les10064
Team Player
Message 2 of 14

Screenshot_20210815-095928_Wifi Analyzer.jpgScreenshot_20210815-095934_Wifi Analyzer.jpg

Hi Keith, just an update on my current situation. I installed a Netgear Orbi RBK 353 mesh system and I’m now getting a strong reliable WiFi signal throughout the house. I tried repeatedly to install it with the TalkTalk WiFi hub but each time the Orbi app would not connect to the internet. I gave up and tried with my 3rd party router modem and was easily able to set everything up at my first attempt. I disabled the routers WiFi. It’s now been running for over 3 weeks without any problems so I’m going to leave it as it is for the time being. The only downside is the download speed with the 3rd party modem router is averaging about 23Mbps, whereas the TalkTalk WiFi hub always averaged around 30Mbps. However, 23Mbps is adequate for my needs so I’m not going to attempt to fix something that isn’t broken. I think the TalkTalk Wifi hub is not working but I might give another try later in the year. I have attached a couple of WiFi analyzer channel graphs taken today for your information. Once again thanks for all your help.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 14

Some WiFi extenders allow browser access into them for their configuration. The current TalkTalk ones as an example, allow you to configure them like this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

les10064
Team Player
Message 4 of 14

Hi Keith, thanks for your advice. I changed the channel on the 3rd party router OK but was unable to change the channels for the 2 powerline WiFi extenders. I downloaded the appropriate powerline utility and was able to get into the management interface, where I could see my devices, but the settings menu for each device didn’t offer any ability to change the channels. I spent hours on this but have now given up. The WiFi analyzer app has been extremely useful.  I used it to conduct a survey of WiFi strength throughout my house. Some of the results were as expected but others showed strong signals in areas I would have thought would be weak and also the opposite. It also seems that the WiFi extenders are not of much help and maybe creating more problems than they solved, so I’ve disconnected them. So far everything is still connected after 24 hours, with the router on channel 11. There are several areas where the signal is marginal, so I’ve ordered a mesh system, which I hope to get up and running by the end of the week. I’ll also swap back to the TalkTalk WiFi hub, as that seems to be faster than the 3rd party router. I’ll let you know how this works out. I greatly appreciate your help and especially the information on the WiFi analyzer app. It’s been a good learning experience. Thanks.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 14

Thanks @les10064 for the screenshots and your patience in getting me the information I required. I am not surprised you are having WiFi issues. Please make these changes to your TP-Link router & Extenders:-

Router: Change the channel to 1.

Extender 1: Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz only & set the channel to 6.

Extender 2: Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz only & set the channel to 11.

Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 6 of 14

Hi @les10064 

As the camera only supports the 2.4GHz band, then there is every chance that WiFi interference may be the cause of this & any other device that is misbehaving using this WiFi band. 

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

0 Likes

les10064
Team Player
Message 7 of 14

Hi Keith, I hope the following answers your questions.

Nestcam IQ outdoor Camera WiFi spec - 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) Wi-Fi; WEP, WPA, WPA2. Encryption supported802.15.4 (2.4 GHz). Bluetooth low energy

The camera does not have any external physical controls, nor does it have an SD card slot. The camera constantly records and uploads footage to the Nest cloud. To connect to WiFi I use the app on my phone, which connects to the camera via Bluetooth. I don’t believe there is any other way.

My modem-router is a TalkTalk WiFi hub / Sagemcom Fast 5364. I installed it in November 2019. The camera has been connected to the WiFi hub continually since then without any problems. When I received the router, I immediately changed the SSID and password to the same as my previous 3rd party router, so that all my devices would automatically connect. To the best of my recollection, they all did.

The camera, when working OK, connects to a TP Link Powerline WiFi extender, which is plugged into an indoor wall socket within a couple of metres of the camera. The camera is on the outside of the wall. The WiFi extender then connects to the router via a Powerline plug in a wall socket next to the router. This then connects to the router with a LAN cable. This has been the setup since I acquired the router.

I don’t know how to check for interference, so if you could let me have any information on this, I would appreciate it. When I tried the 3rd party router, I only tested it with the Logitech Harmony hub and didn’t check if all my other devices had connected. I think I need to swap the routers again and check all my devises.

Thanks.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 14

OK, what is the WiFi specification of this camera? Does the camera support a manual connection method to the WiFi? I had problems a while back with the Sagemcom WiFi Hub & another camera (different manufacturer) and the "app" connection method always failed. I had to put the WiFi SSID & password in a specially formatted file on an SD card into the camera & it connected the first time after that.

As you are having problems with some WiFi devices (I know you also have some wired ones with problems), it might be worthwhile checking for WiFi interference, in case some of these devices can only connect to the 2.4GHz band and that is congested. The fact that another router is also the same, maybe another pointer towards such interference. Sorry if I have missed it, but which WiFi Hub do you have? I can send you some stuff on how to do this if you want?

Keith

0 Likes

les10064
Team Player
Message 9 of 14

The device I would like to sort out first is the Nestcam IQ outdoor. I have tested the camera by using my phone as a mobile hotspot to create a separate wireless network and when I did the camera was easily connected and worked perfectly. So I'm confident the camera itself is not faulty.  Sorry, I didn't mean to overload you with too much information I just wanted to let see the big picture. Thanks.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 14

Please can we deal with just one device for the time being? Which one do you want to try first?

Keith

0 Likes

les10064
Team Player
Message 11 of 14

Hi Keith, first thank you very much for offering your help it’s much appreciated. I have an update on my posting. I have now managed to connect 3 smart TV’s to the internet wirelessly. To do this I opened the UI of the TalkTalk WiFi hub and changed the SSID for 5Ghz to a different one to the 2.4Ghz and then connected the TV’s to 5Ghz, without problem.

When devices won’t connect, I’m not sure if this is to the router or the internet, but I think it’s to the internet. Here are a couple of examples that might clarify matters.

Panasonic smart TV – if I try the wired connection, which has been the set up used for several years, I get the following message “You can connect directly with network devices but connection to the internet is not possible”. If I try to connect wirelessly to 2.4Ghz I get the message “A home network is available but connection to the internet is not possible. IP address is not acquired” and connecting to 5Ghz the message is “Connection to the internet is successful”.

Nestcam IQ outdoor WiFi security camera – this camera has been working reliably for several years but now when I try to connect it to the internet using the app on my android phone I get the following message – “Something went wrong. Your camera couldn’t connect to WiFi. Make sure that your WIFi network is connected to the internet and that you’ve entered the correct password”. I have a 2nd Nest camera, which is working OK but has disconnected a couple of times recently, but I’ve always been able to re-connect it using the Nescam app.

Logitech Harmony hub – I don’t know what network specifications are or where I might find them but here’s what I do know. The hub is located in the midst of a Samsung TV and connected AV equipment. It connects to the TV and AV equipment using IR signals. It’s controlled by an app installed on my phone, which controls the hub wirelessly via the internet. For initial set up I believe the smart phone app communicates with the hub with Bluetooth. When I try to connect it, I get the following message from the app “We are unable to connect to the “SSID” network. Please check your password”. I did once manage to connect OK, but it only stayed connected for a couple of hours. After trying the hub with the 3rd party router and finding the same problem I also thought it must be a problem with the Harmony hub, but as other devices are having similar problems, I’m now unsure. I tested it by setting my phone as a WiFi hotspot and connecting the hub to the hotspot, which I did without problem using the app on a Samsung tablet. The hub then operated exactly as it should, so it appears not to be the problem.   

My WiFi password, which is the same for both routers and for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, is a row of numbers that I have a personal connection to and can easily remember, so I know that I always enter it correctly. I’ve tried numerous times to solve this conundrum and have seen messages about IP address problems several times.

Sorry about this long winded reply but I wanted you to be fully informed.

Thanks.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 12 of 14

HI @les10064 

@Michelle-TalkTalk has asked me to help you and it does not look easy at all. Let's deal with just one device at a time, because it is very difficult for me remotely to say why certain devices won't connect when I do not have most of these myself.

First off, when you say that they won't connect, do you mean to the router or the internet?

Dealing first with this Logitech hub, as it won't connect to the TT or 3rd party router, it does not sound like it is a problem with the TT router, but possibly an incompatibility issue, that may or may not require a configuration change to this device or router. How does it connect, via a wireless or wired (Ethernet) connection and what are its network specifications?

Keith

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 14

Hi,

@KeithFrench - Is this something that you would be able to offer any advice on?

Thanks

0 Likes