FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Cap

EdHodson
Team Player
Message 12 of 12

Hi TT!

I was getting a very reliable 80+mbps/9mbps for years, but now my VDSL2 rate looks like it is capped at 40mbps.  Could someone take a quick look for me?

"Current speeds - Download: 39.9 Mbps, Upload: 8.9 Mbps"

Many thanks,

Ed

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi Ed

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm so glad to hear that this fault has been resolved 🙂

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

Thanks Debbie,

The OpenReach engineer visited today and found the fault on the line (a very accurate "83 metres from my socket", according to his diagnostic device!).  He went away and fixed the fault on a local telephone pole and all is now good again.

Many thanks for all your help.  The TalkTalk Community approach to support is excellent!

Thanks,

Ed

Message 3 of 12

Hi Ed

Thanks for confirming your details.

I have arranged the engineer visit for 02/12 AM (8am - 1pm) This was the first available appointment.

Will this date and time be ok?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 12

Hi Ed

Apologies for this.

We will need to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi Debbie,

There was no dial tone when I picked up to make a call, but it was fairly silent except for the the normal background hiss.  I made an inbound call to see if it rang and it did.  I answered and it was constant loud crackles and the call itself was unusable.  After that there is now a dialtone, but it's extremely crackly and unusable for a voice call.  The broadband has been dropping and renegotiating every few minutes for the last three days.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

Hi Ed

Thanks for your reply.

The line test is now clear, is the no dial tone fault still present?

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi Debbie,

There is no dial tone.

Best Regards,

Ed

Message 8 of 12

Hi Ed

I've run a test on the line which has detected a potential fault with the landline service and this can affect the BB connection.

Is your landline working ok when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Thanks Skynet_TX,

I have tested via master socket and have run the line checker.  The line checker said everything is fine, yet it's just pure crackles when you try it with a phone!  I have tried a couple of different handsets to make sure.

Hopefully the admins will be able to sort it in the morning.

Cheers,

Ed

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 10 of 12

Hi @EdHodson,

Yep, a fault on the 'voice' side can certainly affect your broadband speeds as Dynamic Line Management (DLM) will reduce your speeds in an attempt to keep your connection stable on a noisy line.

If your master phone socket has a test socket then you could also try the router and a phone in there, that would then eliminate any of the phone wiring in your home as being a possible cause of the problem.

If you just connect the phone without the router (to the test socket if you have one) do you still hear the noise and / or do you get a dial tone ?

The staff here will be back in the morning and will be able to help more then.

It would be worth going to the Service Centre to run a connection test on your line, this will indicate if there is currently a fault affecting your service. You can also access this from the ‘My Account’ site. If this can detect a clear fault it can sometimes arrange an engineer callout automatically.

0 Likes

EdHodson
Team Player
Message 11 of 12

Update: I don't use the phone very much, so I didn't notice until now.  There is no dialtone and a massive amount of crackle.  This probably explains the reduced speed and frequent disconnects.

Could someone investigate the line issue please?

Many thanks,

Ed

0 Likes