FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Drop Following Virgin Media Damaging Cable

pontychris
Conversation Starter
Message 19 of 19

Hi All

Last week Virgin Media were laying fibre cable when they damaged the main armoured phone cable supplying the street, two pairs of cables were severed within the armoured cable, my own and my neighbours (using PlusNet).

Since the BT Openreach repair both my own and my neighbours broadband speed has dropped - my own from consistently over 35 Mbps to consistently under 30 Mbps (TalkTalk speed test now showing under 24 Mbps).

If a TalkTalk representative would be kind enough to help me through this community forum I'd be most grateful.

Thank you.

Chris

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

That's great news Chris, thanks for letting me know 🙂

Message 2 of 19

Hi Chris

Just to let you know that BT Openreach repaired the line fault this Saturday morning (visited the street but not my home).

Link rate at the router has since jumped from 24999 kbps to 39999 kbps.  Happy days!

Kind regards

Chris

Message 3 of 19

Hi Chris,

I've raised a complaint on your behalf as requested. One of our complaint managers will contact you within 5 working days to discuss your complaint 

Just to be clear, it's not a question of believing you. When a customer reports a fault there is a process that we have to follow. The line test was passing so the process was to confirm engineer charges and arrange the Openreach engineer visit to your home. The live chat colleague involved Openreach without confirming engineer charges because the line test that they ran failed with a fail reason that required it to be raised as a non-appointed task (not to the home), this doesn't require the customer to accept potential engineer charges.

Please note that although this has been raised as a non-appointed task Openreach may contact you directly if they need to access your home

Thanks 

Chris

Message 4 of 19

Hi Chris

Yes, please do continue with the formal complaint.  The stress alone merits that.

As grateful as I genuinely am to Live Chat for believing me and involving BT Openreach, my broadband speed remains slow and will be until BT Openreach make the repair.  And what would TalkTalk do differently if BT Openreach fail again?

I expect TalkTalk to fight my corner.  A simple check of BT Openreach repair records would confirm my story and TalkTalk's own data confirms the drop in broadband speed.

I'll never understand what bit of Virgin Media dug up and damaged the street cable and BT Openreach messed up the repair leaving me with slow broadband speed was unworthy of TalkTalk's action.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Chirs

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry about this, as I said in my earlier post, I ran the same test yesterday morning at 9:12 and it passed and it passed the day before, but I can see that it failed yesterday afternoon. Please let me know if you'd like me to continue and raise a formal complaint, apologies again for any inconvenience

Chris

Message 6 of 19

OK, do keep us posted.

pontychris
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 19

Hi Ferguson

After switching my attention to making a complaint by email, I was re-directed to Live Chat who carried our tests, confirmed the outside line fault and are arranging a BT Openreach investigation with the promise of an update - see transcript below.

My neighbour is convinced that BT Openreach rushed the repair to dodge the heavy rain (bodge it and scarper).  And it's hard to disagree with him.

This has been really hard work, just imaging what they'd have been like if I was blaming TalkTalk rather than Virgin Media and BT Openreach. Oh for those happy far off days of 35 Mbps.

Kind regards

Chris

17:16, Sep 3

Let me proceed with the details that you mention for the fault, The line test has now completed and found  out that the fault outside is not fully fixed.

I have escalated this to BT Open-reach so that they can send out an engineer for investigation.

The good news is that they don't need to access your property and we will send you an update within 24 to 72 hours. I will also make a note on the account that you want update as soon as possible.

Message 8 of 19

Can I start by saying I completely understand your frustration here. The fact is that the matter cannot be referred to Openreach without accepting potential charges. The key word here is "potential:" as you have an audible phone line issue when connected directly at the test socket then charges should not arise. I just think that by escalating this as a complaint it will just take longer to move towards getting Openreach out to fix this, which at the end of the day seems clearly what is needed.

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Hi Chris

Please do raise a complaint on my behalf - I would prefer to be contacted by email.

I will never understand why you didn't ever consider dealing directly with Virgin Media who dug up the street cable or BT Openreach who claimed to have fixed it.  Instead you chose to focus on the victim of the damage (your TalkTalk customer).

I look forward to being contacted by the complaint manager.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 19

I'm sorry but as I've explained, I can only arrange the engineer visit if you confirm that you accept potential charges. The engineer charges help article explains exactly when would and wouldn't receive a potential charge.

We can raise a complaint on your behalf. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and could you also let us know how you would like to be contacted by a complaint manager (mobile, landline, email).

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

Hi Chris

Hi Chris

As I have already clearly stated, I will not accept charges for an investigation into damage to the street cable, many meters from my property caused by Virgin Media.

However, I continue to demand that my broadband service is put back to it's pre-damage condition (35 Mbps to 37 Mbps).  And as TalkTalk are my contracted provider I expect them to talk to Virgin Media and BT Openreach, who claim to have made a repair on behalf of Virgin Media, and find out why my broadband service has slowed so much following the damage.

If you are unable to fulfil my request please offer me the contact details for the TalkTalk CEO.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19

Hi Chris,

The noise on the line could potentially be affecting your broadband connection/speed so we'll need to look into this first. I'm sorry but we can only arrange the engineer visit if you confirm that you accept potential engineer charges so if you'd like us to book the engineer can you confirm:

• That you accept potential Engineers charges
  • Provide availability, either AM (8am to 1pm) or PM (1pm to 6pm) between Monday to Friday.

I've also PM'd you to confirm some other details 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Hi Chris

DLM has had 7 days to re-set to the contracted speed of between 35 Mbps and 37 Mbps, but because of a fault beyond my control I'm receiving only 24999Kbps at the router (see attached).  What are you expecting to be different about the next few days?

An engineer is an excellent idea, but please no threats of "if BT Openreach don't find a fault" that I, the customer will have to pay.  Virgin Media and BT Openreach caused the fault and TalkTalk will no doubt send BT Openreach to "investigate" the fault - do you honestly believe that BT Openreach will blame themselves or more likely say that there is no fault?  If my superstition is correct and the fault is due to a sub-standard BT Openreach repair then that's half way up the street - a little outside of my control.

I expect to be refunded for any period that I am not receiving between 35 Mbps and 37 Mbps to the router as described in the attached order confirmation of 20 May 2020 - so that's one week and counting.

I fully understand that TalkTalk were neither responsible for damaging the street cable or for carrying out a sub-standard repair, but TalkTalk are responsible for providing the agreed service to their customer, and at the moment that just isn't happening.

Please point your blame at Virgin Media and BT Openreach rather than imagining that I've just this week lost the ability to connect a router via a TalkTalk filter to the master socket.

DM me and I'll send the attachments.

Thanks for your help, I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 19

DLM should automatically move you to a faster profile, over the next few days, if the connection is now stable.

Regarding the noise on the line, we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate. If you'd like us to do this please let us know and we'll confirm some details with your 

Thanks

Chris

Message 15 of 19

Hi Chris

Just the one 5C master socket. I've plugged the phone (without router) directly into the test socket and there's no difference.  I would say that maybe it's more of a background hiss with occasional crackle rather than continuous crackle.

The street cable was damaged by Virgin Media last Wednesday and "repaired" by BT Openreach last Thursday, which should show in my speed records, if you have them available.

You say that my speed setting have been reduced, well is it possible for you to reset it at it's original speed setting?  I know that this can affect the reliability of a bad line, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Also, it would be good if TalkTalk liaised with BT Openreach to discover just what repair they did to the main street cable.  Virgin Media were very apologetic on the day of the damage, but I've never seen them since and they don't respond to my emails (another bodge it and scarper).

Thanks

Kind regards

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 19

OK thanks. How many telephone sockets do you have? Does your master socket have a test socket?

Can you still hear that crackle with just the telephone connected to your test socket (if you have one) and everything else disconnected including your router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 19

Hi Chris

Thanks for getting back to me, it's much appreciated.

Yes, there is crackling on the line.  Also, my reply to you was delayed because my internet briefly dropped out altogether (red light on the router).  It's back now, but still unacceptably slow.

This is a situation brought about by Virgin Media missing a massive street cable and BT Openreach doing a quick "bodge it and scarper" fix rather than a professional repair.

I need TalkTalk to get my service back to it's original condition, as per my contract.

Don't let Virgin Media and BT Openreach sour my relationship with TalkTalk.

Please try and help me.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Chris

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 18 of 19

Hi Chris,

Line test is passing but I can see that you've been moved to a slower line profile. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, is there any noise on the line?

Chris