FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Not Tuned After Switch To Fibre

AndyUK
Whizz Kid
Message 35 of 35

Just over 3 weeks ago I switched to faster fibre with speed boost and looking at the various help pages was led to expect that for 2 weeks the connection might be up and down as the connection was tuned for best speed.  After 3 weeks my router stats showed the DSL Up Time to be 21 days and a few hours, exactly as long as it had been since the engineer swapped my connection to fibre.  This makes me think that no attempt had been made to get the best speed.  At the time the stats showed 15938 upstream rate and 58834 downstream.  The estimated connection speed is shown as between 67 and 80.

I then switched off the router for 30 mins and turned it back on and got 16464 up and 59186 down, a slight improvement but still below the lowest estimate.  Since then again I've seen no apparent automatic attempt to improve the speed.

Two questions:

1.  Why has the system apparently not tried to improve the speed?

2.  Is there anything I or anyone else can do to try to get closer to the estimated figures?

Andy L

0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34

Message 1 of 35

Hi AndyUK,

Yes of course 🙂 Please post back on your thread when you're ready 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 35

Chris,

I'm still keen to pursue an improvement in download speed but won't be able to fit in an engineer's visit until after Christmas.  Is it OK to leave this thread open until then and use it to contact you to get the visit booked in when I'm ready?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 3 of 35

Hi Andy,

Yes the router is capable sync at 80Mbps and higher, if you decide to go ahead with the engineer visit please let us know 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 35

I'm running out of ideas to try before getting the Openreach engineer out.  I changed the cable between the master socket and router this morning and see no difference in upload and download speeds.  Can someone confirm that the router and its firmware is actually capable of operating at the estimated 67 - 80 Mbps download speed? Details are on the attached screenshot.  Any suggestions as to any other trouble shooting I can do gratefully received.

Andy LRouter Stats 26 Nov.jpg

0 Likes

Message 5 of 35
0 Likes

Message 6 of 35

Thanks Chris, could be an expensive gamble - I'll mull it over and get back to you next week.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 7 of 35

Sorry, it's the Openreach engineer

Message 8 of 35

Thanks for the link Chris but it shows several different types of visit, which would it be in this case?

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 9 of 35

There would be a potential charge - please see Engineers charges, for an explination of when charges would apply

Chris

Message 10 of 35

Provided that there's no charge to me for the engineer's visit then yes, please arrange one.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 11 of 35

Hi Andy,

OK thanks for trying that, we can log this out for an engineer visit to see if your speed can be improved, would you like us to arrange this. If you would then we'll just need to confirm some details 

Thanks

Chris

Message 12 of 35

Speed test repeated as requested, no real change.  Upload and download speeds are within 0.1 Mbps of those obtained the other day.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 13 of 35

Thanks, yes DLM didn't change your profile. DLM does have you on a profile that will allow a sync speed up to 80Mbps but it's possible that it could move you to a profile that will result in a faster sync speed

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 35

Will do, I'll report back tomorrow.

The DSL up-time I'm seeing on the router stats this morning corresponds with the time since I last re-started it which to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, indicates the DLM did nothing over night to adjust the connection speed.

Andy L

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 35

Hi Andy,

Thanks for running the tests. Your speeds are within the acceptable range albeit at the bottom. Could you leave your router connected to the test socket for for another 24 hours and if there's no speed improvement we can arrange an engineer visit

Thanks

Chris

Message 16 of 35

Ran 3 tests at least 10 mins apart with the laptop connected by ethernet:

Test 1 Average Download Speed 55.2 Mbps, Average Upload Speed 15.3 Mbps

Test 2 Average Download Speed 55.5 Mbps, Average Upload Speed 15.6 Mbps

Test 3 Average Download Speed 55.6 Mbps, Average Upload Speed 15.5 Mbps

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 17 of 35

Thanks for trying that, can you run a couple of speed tests at least 10 minutes apart on the My Account speed checker, on a device connected to your router by Ethernet cable if possible 

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 35

All done Chris but again no significant change, router stats show 16603 Upstream and 59238 Downstream.

Andy L

0 Likes

Message 19 of 35

Thanks. Could you try disconnecting the powerline adapters and then switch the router off again for 30 minutes, then switch back on and check again to see if there's any speed improvement

Chris

Message 20 of 35

The only electrical device within 2 metres of the router is a powerline adapter.  The router isn't connected to an extension lead but to one of the sockets on a double wall socket.  The powerline adapter is plugged into the other one.

FWIW the connection speed I was getting with my non fibre TalkTalk service before switching was well within the estimated range, around 16500 Down IIRC.  Nothing has changed this end since then.

Andy L

0 Likes