Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Speed boost seems to have been removed despite it being on my account still

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line test now which is clear, however I can see that the sync speed has dropped slightly and the connection looks unstable. Just to confirm, how often have you rebooted/switched off the router?

Thanks

markcoley
Conversation Starter

2/12/20 (evening) router plugged into test socket as requested. No phones connected. 53000ish sync. Working fine for 3+ days.

6/12/20 (around 0140) router resyncs to 40047 all by itself. Later that day I put faceplate back on and plugged phone and router in to that as fault has been seen demonstrated whilst using test socket.

7/12/20 (around 0032) router resyncs by itself to faster speed of 53444, however speed tests are stuck at 39Mbit/s. Five mins with power off, and on restarting, sync is 53243, with downloads still stuck at 39Mbit/s. Router turned off for several hours till the morning.

(around 7.30am) I turned router on again and sync was 52718 with downloads up to 49Mbit/s (so full bandwidth now being used).

8/12/20 (around 0140) router resyncs at 52985 and speed test is still at 49Mbit/s.

The guarantee is listed at 55Mbit/s. I was getting syncs of 63000 a few weeks back.

OCE_Michelle

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the additional information. Just to confirm, have you ever tested with a different router?

Thanks

markcoley
Conversation Starter

I haven't. My parents have TalkTalk (they have a newer TalkTalk model). I could borrow theirs.

markcoley
Conversation Starter

I've swapped routers and the sync speed is now listed as:

Actual Rate [Kbps] 58489 17545
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 57323 17545

Speed tests hits 53Mbit/s.

After a reboot I got:

Actual Rate [Kbps] 58010 17575
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 56894 17575

With same speed test result.

At 0032 the internet stopped working and phone and laptop lost connection. I could log into the router, it said the line was up still. 5 mins later still didn't work (no pings no DNS) so I did a reboot and it's come back faster. Line was quiet during this time.

Actual Rate [Kbps] 58375 17721
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 57231 17721

I'm getting 54Mbit/s downloads.

I can't plug my old TalkTalk router in to check what speed it would get as it is now 15 miles away at my parents' home. When I plugged it in there it connected at the same speed their newer TalkTalk modem connected at.

Something seems to make the system go down between 0030 and 0130ish - I presume the network is triggering this. The new router I've borrowed seems to connect at the speeds I used to connect at for weeks.

markcoley
Conversation Starter
I've spoken too soon. Router has just dropped speed:

Line 1
Downstream Upstream
Actual Rate [Kbps] 40000 9997
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 57292 9997

Speed test shows 36Mbit/s.

Is this a cabinet fault?
markcoley
Conversation Starter

I've tried turning router off and on again as downloads still stuck at 35-36MBit/s.

Line 1
Downstream Upstream
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 57346 9997
Noise Margin [dB] 12.60 9.20
Attenuation [dB] 15.50 0.00
Power [dBm] 13.70 5.30

Why is the maximum rate showing at the speed I used to connect at for weeks yet the actual rate is the very round number of 40000? Where is the fault?

markcoley
Conversation Starter

Around 6am there was a reconnect and and the speed has shot up again (for the sync) but the throughput on speed tests seems to remain stuck. 38Mbit/s downloads and 14Mbit/s uploads.

Actual Rate [Kbps] 59199 15685
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 57598 15685

This pattern existed with my own modem too. Surely this points to a fault at the cabinet? Why would download rate not be proportional to the sync rate?

OCE_Chris

Hi Mark,

Line test is clear but I can see your speeds are fluctuating and your connection appears to be dropping. Are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, any noise on the line?

Chris

markcoley
Conversation Starter

Telephone line is fine, noise free. I've come home from work and downloads still won't go faster than 39Mbit/s despite the sync rate being as listed here: 

Actual Rate [Kbps] 59199 15685
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 57598 15685

This was the case on my own modem too (the D-Link one) - the router would connect suddenly at a higher speed but the data rate was throttled.

OCE_Debbie

Hi Mark

I'm sorry for the delay.

Would you like me to send the new Huawei WIFI Hub for testing to see how the connection compares?

markcoley
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

Over the weekend everything was behaving, I had syncs listed as about 58 or 59Mbit/s and the speed tests were hitting 54Mbit/s. This was without me doing anything.

Then today, in the early hours, it's flipped back to the problem I had when I started this thread - sync is capped at 40,000.

I'm using my parent's TalkTalk router temporarily (version SG4K10002816t) and get this:

Maximum Rate [Kbps] 57521 9997

Why does it keep dropping to exactly 40000? (This would show as 400047 on my own router)? This newer model I've borrowed shows more info as it has a max rate line that is more or less where I used to get my syncs for week and weeks.

This behaviour has been seen on two different models of router. It' been seen my my own router was plugged into the master socket. The line is quiet. Sometimes I've had a high sync speed but the download rate on speed test websites appears to have been capped. It looks to me like something's faulty at the cabinet!

OCE_Debbie

Hi markcoley

Apologies for this.

If you run a wired speed test is the result the same? Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

markcoley
Conversation Starter

Wired or wireless the numbers end up about the same (wired tiny bit faster).

I can turn the modem off for half an hour tonight. I've done this many times in recent weeks and a pattern has developed:

1) If sync speed was around 40000kbit/s before power off and it comes back at around 40000kbit/s after turning router on again nothing changes.

2) If sync speed was around 40000kbit/s before power off and it comes back at around 57000kbit/s after turning router on again the throughput may remain capped at 35Mbit/s on download tests or it might revert to low 50s in Mbit/s

3) If sync speed was around 57000kbit/s before power off (but with some sort of throttling in place) and it comes back still at around 57000kbit/s after turning router on again the throughput may remain capped at 35Mbit/s on download tests or it might revert to low 50s in Mbit/s.

4) If sync speeds are high and throughput is high I won't turn off the router.

This behaviour has been seen with two models of router.

I'm still at a loss to understand why in the middle the night the router flips from working well (high sync, high throughput) to dropping down to exactly 40000kbit/s (parents' modem) or 40047kbit/s (my modem).

markcoley
Conversation Starter

Router was off for several hours yesterday. When I turned it on I got:

Actual Rate [Kbps] 59086 15543

Maximum Rate [Kbps] 57476 15543

with a wired speed test of 38.7Mbit/s download and 14.5Mbit/s upload.

Similar speeds this morning.

I then turned it off for 5 mins then on again and got this:

Actual Rate [Kbps] 58995 15787
Maximum Rate [Kbps] 57384 15787

Wired speed test of 55.4Mbit/s download and 14.8Mbit/s upload.

The 5 minute off and on didn't change the sync speed by much but the throughput shot up - it's as if some sort of throttling (at your end) was removed. This was the pattern with my own router when that was plugged in (I'm using my parents' still at the moment).

OCE_Michelle

Hi mark,

Thanks for the update. If the sync speed is higher than the throughput speeds then switching the router off for a full 30 minutes can sometimes help as this will reset the current session and increase the throughput speeds.

Thanks