FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop from 25 Mps to 15 Mps since renewal – coincidence or not?

jonwort
Whizz Kid
Message 18 of 18

Hello

I renewed our TT broadband contract (faster fibre) at the end of June 2020. Since 2016 until then we have had pretty consistent performance around 25Mb download/3-4Mb upload measured using Ookla. We are a fair distance from the local fibre cabinet.

At renewal we were supplied with TT’s SagemCom FAST-5364 Wi-Fi Hub. This router was easy to substitute for the Netgear D7000 we have used for several years. For a few days, performance with the Wi-Fi Hub was similar to the Netgear with good performance at 25Mb/4Mb levels.

A week into July, download performance had dropped to around 15Mb download speed. I swapped the Wi-Fi Hub for the Netgear again (waiting 30 mins before rebooting) with the same reduced performance. After 2 more weeks, I substituted the Wi-Fi Hub back again with similar lower speed results.

Performance has if anything dropped further. Today the Wi-Fi Hub dashboard shows 15.0 Mps download and 4.7 Mps upload at the router (around 13.5/3.0 measured on a user device via wi-fi or Ethernet cable using TT Speed Test). The on-line Service Centre check shows measured line speed at 15 Mb today. Except for swapping out routers, nothing in our home set-up has changed for several years.

Our TT email order confirmation indicated a minimum guaranteed speed of 22.2 Mb, representative of our broadband until around 9th July. So we should be able to get back at least to our pre-9th July download speed.

It might be pure coincidence, but could the contract renewal have changed anything to impact our broadband speeds? Is an OCE able to check why our Wi-Fi Hub cannot sync at closer to the 25Mb level which was the case until contract renewal?

Thanks, Jon

0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi Jon

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know if you do experience any further issues.

Thanks

Debbie

Message 2 of 18

Hi Debbie

Thanks for the offer, but our connection has been stable since Friday with the router dashboard showing 30922 down/4677 up with Internet access around 27Mbps down/3Mbps up for user devices at the router.

After the variations in recent weeks we seem to be back to the performance we had before our contract renewal in early July - though I am still monitoring.

Behaviour over the last 4 weeks seems hard to explain but I do not believe it is router related. We are using the Netgear D7000 used since 2016 and also have the TT HG635 used before, aside from the TT Sagemcom which seemed OK for several days in July before we ran into variability issues. I am reluctant to change anything at the moment!

Many thanks for your support on this.

Jon

Message 3 of 18

Hi Jon

If the speed increased following the reboot then we can send a replacement router to rule out any possible issues with the router. Would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 4 of 18

Debbie

I think we will have to run with what we have for now. It is a bit disruptive arranging things from the test socket to get coverage throughout the house.

We had an interesting situation this morning, where the router still had a DSL connection but the Internet connection had been lost. The Netgear dashboard indicated link speed 30922 down/4511 up but with no Internet access.

Reboot from the router dashboard restored to link speed 30922 down/4677 up with Internet access.

Is this indicative of anything?

Jon

0 Likes

Message 5 of 18

Hi Jon

Would it be possible to leave the router connected at the test socket for an extended period of time to rule out any possible issues with the face plate or internal wiring?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 18

Hi Debbie

Results have been mixed, we seem to have gone round full circle to where we started, making diagnosis of the underlying factor(s) difficult.

With the Netgear router connected at the front plate (rather than the test socket) from Monday to Wednesday, the VDSL link speed was notable lower but remained stable at 25387 down/2697 up (31386 down/4596 up at the test socket).

For user devices connected near the router (Ethernet or wi-fi 5Mhz), TT Ookla speeds were initially around 21 Mbps down/2.1 Mbps up on Monday but had dropped to around 18 Mbps/download 0.7 Mbps upload by Wednesday (link still at 25387 down/2697 up).

Late Wednesday, I took the Netgear down for 30 mins and reconnected at the broadband extension point we normally use (BT OR checked it in 2016). The link speed increased to 30922 down/4511 up. User device Ookla speeds back to around 27 Mbps down/2.5 Mbps up, which is similar to speed we had until early July and typically what we expect.

Today, Thursday 6th,  performance level has been maintained. I will keep monitoring to see if the pattern repeats with Ookla speed at user devices slowing down over a period of days, even though the link speed remains stable.

Not sure if this could be a master socket wiring issue affecting variability of sync speed, contention in our home network (which is extended by Netgear homeplug adaptors to provide two additional wi-fi access points) degrading speed on the home network, or some combination of both.

Any thoughts?

Jon

Message 7 of 18

Hi Jon

Thanks for the additional information. How are you getting on since your last post?

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 18

Michelle, Karl

Connecting our Netgear D7000 at the test socket on Friday gave interesting results through the weekend. Here is the update.

Friday, 31st July. Connected router about 11h00 following 30 min power down.

Initial sync. Router link speed: 15000 down/4439 up

Rest of day. Router link speed: 15000 down/4439 up

Saturday, 1st August.

Morning until early evening. Router link speed: 32400 down/4794 up

User device Ookla speed tests at router highly variable, upload speed being particularly wild (or test timeout).

Set QoS setting on router to limit upload bandwidth to 4.5Mbps, user device speeds now more stable.

Lost VDSL sync, router ‘hung’. Power recycled, router link speed now 31386 down/4596 up

Rest of evening. Router link speed now 31386 down/4596 up

Generally stable user device Ookla speed tests at router, around 28Mbps down/3.8 Mbps up

Sunday, 2nd August.

All day. Router link speed: 31386 down/4596 up

Generally stable User device Ookla speed tests at router, around 28Mbps down/3.8 Mbps up

Monday, 3rd August

Morning. Router link speed: still 31386 down/4596 up

Conclusions

DLM adjusted the link speed on Saturday back to the position end of June/early June. My next step is to connected the router back to the faceplate of the master socket. If the link speed is maintained, it would seem to indicate the TT Sagemcom router has difficulty managing our line to the higher link rate.

A significant contributor to our issues in 2016 was download performance being ‘choked’ by upload traffic. In that case, we set upload bandwidth limits for OneDrive and DropBox. For this test, setting an upload bandwidth limit at the router seemed to give improved download performance at User devices. I do not believe this setting is available on the TT router.

We had had several years of broadband stability before we moved into our new contract period early July. If no VDSL infrastructure parameters were changed, then swapping in the TT Sagemcom router was the only local change in early July. In fact, the link speed drop to 15000 only actually occurred after around 3 days. 

I will post an update in the next few days with the Netgear D7000 connected at the faceplate.

Jon

Message 9 of 18

Hi

OK, do let us know if the speed changes over the weekend.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 10 of 18

Thanks.

Actually, the TT Sagemcom router ran at the 25 Mbps download speed for around 3 days (i.e. not at swap over) then was rather variable until settling at around 15 Mbps.

But I will try with the Netgear router over the weekend to see what we have got by Monday.

If need be, I still have our last 'good' TT router HG635 Super Router which I could swap in next week. (We changed to the Netgear largely because of its additional facilities - line speed was much the same.) 

Jon

0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the update. If the speed only dropped after the routers were swapped over then it sounds like it may be related to the router. If it is possible to re-connect the previous router then we can re-check on Monday to see if DLM has started to make changes to the sync speed again.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 18

Michelle

It was only connected at the test socket for about an hour yesterday because we need the voice service.

At each router swap out in July, we have left disconnected for around 25 mins and have then left reconnected for 7+ days to monitor. Line download speed has been pretty consistent at around 15 Mbps (router dashboard).

When you say alternative router, I assume you mean our Netgear D7000 which had been running since 2016, generally at around 25 Mbps download?

I'll see if we can set up with phone diverted to mobile and the Netgear connected to the test socket over the weekend.

Thanks, Jonathan

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 18

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the update. Was the router previously connected at the test socket for 24hrs as it can take DLM a little bit of time to make changes to the speed? Would it be possible to re-connect your alternative router (the router you were previously using) and keep this connected over the weekend? If there is no increase in speed then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 18

Michelle

Sagemcom connected at test socket and powered up after 25min wait, connection via Ethernet to Windows laptop.

Router dash board shows 15 down/14.7 up (around 14/3.5 at laptop using TT speed test site). This is the level we have seen over the last few weeks.

I will replace the OpenReach faceplate now as it plays havoc with our alarm system when the phone line is disconnected.

Jon

PS. No equipment added/removed prior to speed drop. We substituted the new Sagemcom router for our Netgear D7000 and initially performance was at similar 25/4 level as for the last few years during the first few days. When download speed dropped we substituted the D7000 back but there was no change after a week, so reinstated the Sagemcom again. This has been running a further week before connection at the test socket. 25-30min power down wait before each router connection.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the update. The 5c master socket should have a test socket. If it does then would it be possible to connect the router at the test socket so we can see if DLM makes any changes to the sync speed?

Did you add/remove any equipment prior to the speed drop?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 18

Michelle

Thanks for taking a look.

No apparent issues on the voice service.

I don't think there is a test socket. Since our 2016 issues, we have a Master Socket 5C with Open Reach Mk 4 faceplate, which has separate voice and broadband sockets.

Our download speed is pretty steady so perfectly usable (not wild fluctuations, which was the issue in 2016), just some 10 Mbps lower than it was 3 weeks ago.

Jon 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 18

Hi jon,

I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault. Is the voice service ok with no noise on the line and does your master socket have a test socket?

Thanks

0 Likes