FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drop

ukoldgit
Insightful One
Message 29 of 29

Could a OCE let me know whats going on.

For almost over 2 years now I've had a download speed of nearly 74+Mbps but the last week or so it's dropped to 62Mbs.

In the past when this has happend it usually pulls it self up in a couple of days.

The router is syncing at 66998 Kbps where as usually it's up at about 78000.

I've rebooted the router several times just in case I'm being put through some crap server, tried a different router and connected to the master socket but I cannot get it to go back on to the speed I've had for over two years.

My PC is connected by a ethernet cable and  use to show a download speed of 74.5 Mbps

I've tried the automatic line test and that always come back ok, there isn't any noise/interference on the telephone.

So has my speed been dumbed down for some reason or is it being caused by congestion which I doubt because no matter what time of day I test the download speed is always around 62Mbps.

If any OCE could comment it would be much appreciated.

UK Old Git
0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28

Message 1 of 29

Hi ukoldgit

I know, I wish I could change the profile but this is managed by Openreach DLM.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 29

Thanks for looking again Debbie.

Not much to be done then if it's above the guaranteed minimum, pity you can't just flip the switch at your end without involving openreach

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 3 of 29

Hi ukoldgit

The connection looks stable. I don't know why DLM is not increasing the speed any further because I can't see any issues on the line.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 29

Thanks for checking it Debbie.

Does the line look stable now?

If it does I suppose maybe the DLM will eventually try a faster profile.

But as you pointed out it's still faster then the minimum guaranteed speed so will just have to put up with it, just seems strange that it hasn't picked up again after the disconnections you saw.

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 5 of 29

Hi ukoldgit

Unfortunately the speed hasn't increased any further. It's still in sync at just under 67mb.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 29

Thanks Debbie.

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 7 of 29

Morning ukoldgit

I've checked the connection stats again and the sync speed hasn't increased any further.

I will check on this again tomorrow.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 29
0 Likes

Message 9 of 29

Thank you 🤞

UK Old Git

Message 10 of 29

Hi ukoldgit

I completely understand.  Please can you keep the router powered up without rebooting and I will check the connection stats again on Thursday.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 29

I hope so, a drop of 12Mbps may not seem much but when you have to download COD at over a 80gb it certainly makes a difference.

Thanks again for your help Debbie

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 12 of 29

Hi ukoldgit

Yes it's within range and I can see that the speed has increased. When I last checked the speed it was 64mb and it's now increased to just under 67mb so it's moving in the right direction.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 13 of 29

Thanks Debbie,

So it's within the minimum predicted speed.

Is it likely it might suddenly pick up speed like it did over a year a go?

Thank you for your help  Debbie and Chris

UK Old Git

Message 14 of 29

Hi ukoldgit

It's ok I can see that you completed the alternative information on the form.

Please see my previous post about your speed range.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 15 of 29

Hi Debbie,

I've filled in the info on the first link you sent but cannot see a way of sending two characters of my telephone password, I can type in to the box but there is nothing to click on to send/reply in your message?

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 16 of 29

Hi ukoldgit

Thanks for confirming your details.

The predicted speed range for your line is showing between 73.6 and 58.3mb, and with a guaranteed minimum speed of 53.4mb.

Your line is currently in sync at 66.9mb.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 17 of 29

Hi ukoldgit

I'm just dropping you a Private Message so I can check/confirm the predicted speed range.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 18 of 29

Hi Chris,

I think the guaranteed minimum is 65Mbps.

But if you think the DLM will kick in automatically I'll give it a couple of weeks before escalating and see if it does correct it.

Is the line still free of errors and any idea how long it might take for the DLM to kick in?

UK Old Git
0 Likes

Message 19 of 29

Hi ukoldgit,

If the speed is below the guaranteed minimum we can arrange an engineer visit to reset DLM and check for any issues but if the connection remains stable then DLM should automatically move you to a faster profile

Chris

Message 20 of 29

Hi Debbie,

Just to let you know the speed is still around 62Mbps so it looks like the DLM didn't kick in.

Is it possible to make it kick in or is it likely that it will eventually start it self if it detects the line is stable?

I have speed test results showing that back in Jan 2020 my speed increased to 74Mbps where as before this it was appx 66Mbps.

You mention connection disconnects around 19/09 - 23/09 I wasn't at home on 20-22  but didn't have any problems on the 19th or 23rd.

So I'll leave this in your capable hands.

UK Old Git