FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed keeps dropping, then recovering

scottieb
Popular Poster
Message 16 of 16

Hi, 

Since last night the speed of my connection keeps dropping, then recovering. This happens almost every 30 seconds, if that, and is quite frustrating. The drop is instant, not gradual. I've attached a couple of screenshots of my speedtests and if you look at the progress bars, you can easily see the massive drops.

I have tried the troubleshooting to no avail.

Can anyone help? Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks 

IMG_2478.psd
IMG_2479.psd
IMG_2480.psd
IMG_2481.psd
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 16

Hi scottieb

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi, 

it seems to have stabilised since yesterday evening, and don’t seem to be having and drops in speed, very strange.  

I will continue to monitor and if it returns will reply again to this thread. 

thanks 

Message 3 of 16

Morning,

If the connection is unstable with 2 different routers, cables and microfilters directly at the test socket and connected wired with no other equipment connected to the line, and the connection is also unstable on more than one device, then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you would like to go ahead with this then please let us know and we can confirm some details with you.

Thanks

Message 4 of 16

No, the test was done with only one device connected, wired. 

thanks 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi scottieb

Are any other devices in use and connected at the same time? Is anyone uploading at the same time?

0 Likes

scottieb
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 16

Hi, yes the stats look good when the speed is normal, but there is an intermittent problem with the speed plummeting, causing problems, mainly when playing games. You can see all the drops on the screenshots. 

Both routers are talktalk, but different models, one Fast5364 and one DG8041W. I have a pre filtered master socket, so no filters needed but did change the cable. I also tested using the test socket inside the master socket and makes no difference to the results.

Nothing internally has changed in my setup, no new devices, nothing that can cause interference.

thanks 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hi scottieb

I have checked the connection stats again and the sync speed is just over 40mb.

There are 2 re connections showing on the line over the last 24hrs. The line test is clear, no faults detected.

Was the 2nd router you tested with a TalkTalk router? Did you also change the cables and filter?

Is the router located near to any devices that could cause any interference? (cordless handset etc)

0 Likes

scottieb
Popular Poster
Message 8 of 16

Hi, I have already reconnected the original router. 

The issue was exactly the same, with both. There was only one device connected when testing the speed. If you run a speedtest you will see the drop. Sometimes you will have to run one after the other as it doesn't show in every text, but almost guaranteed for the speed to drop within 60 seconds.

The connection doesnt drop, I always have an internet connection. But the speed does drop, it plummets instantly, not gradually. 

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi,

Can I just confirm, with the alternative router currently connected, is the connection dropping, the speed slow or both?

Thanks

0 Likes

scottieb
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 16

Hi, yes I've just plugged it in, and only one wired device connected. The problem still occurs. 

Thanks 

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming. Do you have a different router that you can test with just to rule this out please?

Thanks

0 Likes

scottieb
Popular Poster
Message 12 of 16

Hi, 

No lights change on the router. The original screenshots were performed on a WIFI device. Ive just done some more speedchecks, on a seperate device, these are all wired and will attach here. The issue is still here, on both WIFI and wireless. 

There is definitely an issue. It may be intermittent, but something is not right. Online games are unplayable at the moment. 

Thanks 

3.psd
1.psd
2.psd
0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Hi,

I've re-checked the connection stats and the connection looks stable so far today. Can I just confirm, are you connected wired or wireless? Do any of the lights change on the router when the connection drops please?

Thanks

0 Likes

scottieb
Popular Poster
Message 14 of 16

Hi, 

It is still the same as last night, but doesn't seem as frequent at it was, but at least every 60 seconds.

The 2 disconnects may have been me last night when I was troubleshooting. Even tho the drop in speed is rapid, there is no actual disconnect and i'm always connected. 

Any ideas?

Thanks 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 16

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which is clear, however I can see 2 re-connections on the line. Can I just confirm, how is the stability at the moment please?

Thanks

0 Likes