FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed problems

platipud
Team Player
Message 16 of 16

I have been having  router problems for weeks speed of 25 I/o 44 for weeks.

I am now on my third router and have finally managed to get the correct speed .

I managed to get the correct speed by switching off for am hour

However overnight there seem to have been an updated/line check (as the router says uptime 2 hours, we have not had a power cut).

The speed has again dropped to 25.

I will again try to switch off for an hour (20 mins does not seem to work)

Could you please advise on this issue.

I have an engineer booked for next week but would appreciate some advise as to why when the router is disconnected (even for a moment, and not by me)  it seems to half the speed, if you leave it then it does not improve on its own (however long you leave it)

Thanks steve

Steve
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi,

Ok thanks for confirming and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

If you check my account you will see that an engineer is already booked for Saturday.

Steve
0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi,

The line test has now completed which is still clear, however the connection stats are still varying. If 2 different routers have been tested the test socket then the only option we have is to arrange an engineer visit. Would you like to go ahead with this and we can confirm some details with you?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Morning,

The line test won't run at the moment so I will try again in 30 minutes and will post back once complete.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

At 4.22 am the speed has dropped to 24 and the router says connected for 2hrs ,,45 ....I have not disconnected or switched off, see attached

Steve
0 Likes

Message 6 of 16

The router has now powered down for 30 mins (time 18.00) and connected to the test socket.

The speed seems to be fluctuating it is all over the place

Just to advise the openreach engineer has already tested the test/master socket and both were recording the correct speed at the time, 06.08.21 (I guess you will have a report)

Update as at 20.15

Speed stabilized at 54, see attached

Thanks

Steve

Steve
0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Hello,

Yes please try the 30 minute router power down but only do this the once please and I will check the connection stats again in the morning.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

should i switch the router off for 30 mins which will probably restore the speed to 50 (for now) , or should i just leave it, and just leave it plugged into the test socket

Steve

Steve
0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi,

Thanks for confirming. I will re-check the connection stats/speed again in the morning to see how the stats are now looking now that the router is connected to the test socket and I will post back here.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

it is now connected to the test socket

Steve
0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Morning,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and I can see that the sync speed is varying, although the line test is clear. Would it be possible to connect the router back at the test socket please so we can re-check the connection stats again?

Thanks

0 Likes

platipud
Team Player
Message 12 of 16

yes i believe so sagecom i think 

Update 4.25 10.08.21.

I have woken to find that the speed has dropped to 25 again I/o 50. The router says bee connected for 1hr 15 mins (see attachment). Please note that when I went to bed the speed was 50 (see attached log), I have made no changes internally or to any settings.

Again it seems that the router is resetting/reconnecting somehow but is defaulting to a speed of about 25 I/o 50

Can you assist/advise

I have not switched the router off at this stage for  30 mins to try and get the higher speed this is so you can look at the router/line in its current state, you can also see at what time this happened from the speed log in case you can look into a timeline

Thanks

Steve

Steve
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 16

Hi platipud,

Can I just confirm, were all 3 routers the same make and model?

Thanks

0 Likes

platipud
Team Player
Message 14 of 16

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

The router is plugged into the Main/Master socket, it is the newest  NTE5 that was fitted by Openreach last weekend when he came out. The router plugged into the main socket (not the test socket). This is however because the openreach engineer tested both the main and the test socket and main socket were both showing the same speed of 60mbps, therefore this has been physically tested (i guess you have a report), he requested a new router from TalkTalk.

I am not aware of any noise/interference on the line.

My 2nd (see account for details of issues) new router arrived on Saturday, it started with a speed of 25 when connected, i switched it off and disconnected it from the line for an hour and when reconnected it connected it at 50, then overnight it dropped again to 25,. I then I switched it off for an hour it showed 50 again and has remained so until this morning.

it seems that whenever the router (all 3 that i have had have been the same) is connected it defaults to a speed of about 25, if i then switch it off and disconnect it from the line for between 20-60 mins its seems ok for a while and goes to a speed of 50,  however im guessing this is not normal.

is it possible that there is some sort default speed cap on the line (ive only recently upgraded to fiber) as it always seems to default to about 25, unless i do the switch off and on process.

Its all very odd.

Please be aware I am making no internal changes to connections/wifi at my house that could be the reason for the change in speed, it is all unchanged in either speed situation (it runs at 25 or 50 with no changes at my home). The speed seems to change through the switch off/on process with no other changes.

i am not at the house at the moment but i guess that the speed has probably dropped again because you have done a line test (that is what has happened previously (if the line goes off and the router resets the speed drops again)).

any help would be appreciated

steve

Steve
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 15 of 16

Hi platipud,

I'm sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault, however I can see that the speed has been varying. Does your main socket have a test socket? Is there any noise on the line?

Thanks

0 Likes