FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed variable but I found how to temporarily resolve

Gavona
Chat Champion
Message 16 of 16

I have issues with my broadband speed.  Had visit from Brightspark (Qube) on Wednesday and OR on Thursday.  Brightspark found Crosstalk and "Battery".   OR seemed to take a thorough and careful approach.  Found issues at the cabinet (i) my speed had been capped (below my Guaranteed minimum of 18) it is clear this was on 26/27 Feb (ii) a bit of bare wire was in the vicinity of my connection (iii) remade some connections (iv) tested from my house then reset speed cap and DLM.

So far sync speed has increased and remained much more healthy.  So from that point of view it all seems promissing but I need to leave it a few more days for DLM etc to settle down.

However I have another issue that has not been addressed and has me confused.  My actual experience is far more varied the throughput varies from the high 20s to  2 down 0.2 up and also a few times have lost connection altogether.  These highly variable speeds and short duration losses of connection have in fact been our experience since Christmas at least.

The good news is that we seem to have found a way of instantly restoring speed.  So surely that will help someone to help us find the cause?

To restore the speed I disconnect the network cables from the router.  Wait a minute then reconnect them.  Simple as that. So what does that tell me?

A bit more about our set-up is probably needed:

1. WiFi is not the issue as far as I can tell.  All speed tests I am refering to are over are wired internet.  Disabling wifi at the router does not improve speeds.
  2. We have 23 devices connected right now of which 6 are wired. 2 are laptops operating wirelessly (though we can wire them if needed speed tests show that gives no improvement to performance to the internet), there is an iphone and an IPAD that at times can be used to watch films or do "heavy" work the rest are, I believe, relatively small users of bandwidth.
  3. Our wired netwok currently incorporates 2 8 port Gigabit switches (Netgear GS208 & TL SG108) a pair of AV1200 powerline adapters [3 wired conection each] and mostly Cat5e cables.
  4. We have (since mid January) a homebuilt NAS running Unraid and also a Speedtest Tracker and a LAN/WIFI speedtest checker
  5. The original plan was for all network cables to go back to a switch in the loft.  We installed the cables when some building works were being done but manged without putting it into use until now - a second hand Dell PowerConnect 2724 arrives in the next week.  We have lots of learning to do if we decide to use this other than in unmanaged mode!!  I only mention this in case it will help with resolving or identifying our current issues.

Within the network wired devices achieve close to 1000Mbps to our NAS, wireless devices we have tested 85-90mbps, even when we have slow speeds to the internet.

So it seems to me as if something is overwhelming the wifi hub - but what can we do to track it down and resolve?

Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 16

Hi Gavona,

I don't know all the specific improvements/changes at the moment, apart from DNS improvements. If the connection is performing better with the Huawei router at the moment then keep this one connected for now and I will post back on your topic to confirm once we are able to start upgrading the new firmware on the Sagemcom router.

Thanks

Message 2 of 16

Happy to try it.  Can you give any clues what the changes are?

I guess I should I switch back to Sagecom in the meantime?

Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 16

Hi Gavona,

I'm sorry to hear this. We do have new firmware coming for the Sagemcom router at some point this month which we can test to see if this has any improvement. Would this be ok?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16
I should have said: I use gigabit wired connections for all critical activity.
Also I have recently purchased a secondhand Dell PowerConnect managed/unmanaged switch. That may possibly give me additional options for managing traffic....if I understood it.
Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Hi Debbie, Sorry to have taken so long to respond but things are a bit hard to interpret at the moment.

• The chart below shows upload and download speed test results.  The test is run regularly irresspective of other activity - so it gives worse results when there is competition for bandwidth.  The vertical red line is when we swapped from Sagem to Huawei.
  • Within a day or two of doing that my son rebuilt his pc and ever since there has been a backblaze backup to the cloud going on.  According to its reports backblaze only uses 1.25 mbps.  However if I disconnect that PC (Port1) I can see a remarkable increase in upload and download (This morning it improved from 19 to 25mbps down and 0.5 to 4.3 up). 
  • I have also been going through a very heavy use period for work.  Involving long hours and lots of uploads/downloads (Port4).
  • My wife has had some issues using teams.
  • At times I have had difficulty connecting to my work's network, this is unproven but it seems to me to be when upload speeds are below 1mbps
  • So contention within my network is clearly an issue.

Speed Test TrackerSpeed Test Tracker

It is not at all clear if the Huawei is making a difference or not, given all the other factors.  The maximum upload speed seems marginally lower and the more frequent poor upload speeds could be contention at my end.   That said we have not noticed such frequent brief losses of connection.

The additional stats exposed on the Huawei router have the potential to help with diagnosis though I haven't really got to grips with them.

Is there any thing useful you can see from your end?

Is there a way that I can prioritise / de-prioritise particular devices or prioritise my VPN traffic and my Wife's Teams sessions?

Are there any options to take, say 5 mbps from the download and add it to the upload?

Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 16

Hi Gavona

Has the connection remained stable since the replacement router has been connected?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Thanks, we connected the Huawei hub Saturday eveing. 

1. Please can anyone tell me where to find the option to respond to pings? I want it because I use this: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ccb8c8d8d4dbac6b94fd0daa0636a6cb2f...
  2. Is there a menu map or even better a guide to the router settings and information?

Thanks

Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

Hi

A Huawei hub is now on the way to you.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16
I would be happy to test the Huawei Wifi Hub if you could send one, please. I guess different hardware may cope differently with whatever the issues are.
Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 10 of 16

Hi Gavona,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line test now which is still clear, however the connection looks very unstable and the sync speed has dropped. Can I just confirm, have you tested with both the Sagemcom and the Huawei Wifi Hub? If the connection is still unstable at the test socket then we will need to arrange an Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Thanks for checking.

1. Do you have any thoughts about “To restore the speed I disconnect the network cables from the router.  Wait a minute then reconnect them.  Simple as that. So what does that tell me?” To me that said that I have an issue that is either with my equipment or with your router, not the OR network.  
  2. Some of our devices mask their identity (apple do this by default, I think) but so was my son’s windows pc.  Could the multitude of Mac addresses overwhelm the router maybe?  Or am I grasping at straws? 
  3. It is now 10 days since the OR visit. So it is appropriate to look at where that has got us.
  4. Firstly our maximum throughput speeds were around 21 up to the end of Feb. So our synch speed must have been 21 to 24mbps. Then on 1 March this dropped to 17mbps and further reduced to 14mbps on 9th March. OR engineer said it had been capped to this level at the cabinet. Despite the reduced sync speeds the throughput was very erratic either being at or close to max or below 5 mbps (and similar degradation of upload speed). We were also suffering frequent short duration 1-2 minute losses of sync (router light orange).
  5. Since OR visit on 24th Sync speed has been mid to high 20s.  For first few days it was erratic but became more stable on 28th.    In the last few days we have noticed more short duration losses of sync (3x this morning leading me to do a 30 minute plus power down). Throughput has been 20 to 25mbps in last few days and fairly stable. So it’s really the short duration losses of sync that are the main issue.  

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 12 of 16

Hi Gavona,

I've checked the connection stats now and I can see that the connection was unstable but looks like it has started to stabilise. The sync speed looks consistent, however it has dropped slightly. How has the speed been over the weekend?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Last night we tried disabling wireless at the router and disconnecting all wired devices except our NAS with its speedchecker/tracker . That showed stable speedtest results - the only horizontal line on this chart!.  You can also see the irregular speeds either side of the DLM reset.

SpeedTestTracker 2021-03-27 095336.png

Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

Message 14 of 16

@Bazzatay  I have not done the 30 minute disconnection explicitly for this issue since the Open Reach visit last week. That is because the DLM is still doing its thing and I don't want any risk of multiple disconnects misleading the engineers when they look at the stats in a few days time (assuming I still have issues of one sort or another). 

I have however had to disconnect for >30minutes twice since the visit and was experiencing erratic speeds either side of those disconnects.

Prior to the engineer visits, since January I would regularly do the 30 minute disconnect and find that it solved the speed issue but that the solution didn't last.

Thanks,
Gavona
0 Likes

Bazzatay
Whizz Kid
Message 15 of 16

Hi

Just a thought have you tried a full 30min shutdown to start a new session in the street cabinet, seems to be the answer to no end of problems.

Regards

0 Likes