FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds have dropped by quite a way. Help please

jimmymumu
Whizz Kid
Message 126 of 126

Woke up the morning of the 14th to find my sppeds were running around 6mbps , way down from 55mbps. All day long it's been hovering anywhere between 4mbps up to 26mbps. Had to restart the router and it came back briefly but then dropped off again. I'm connected direct to socket via cable on a desktop pc running windows 7. Wireless started dropping off and on, on my tablet and phone too last night and thought nothing of it and i don't know if it's part of the same problem

0 Likes
125 REPLIES 125

Message 1 of 126

Hi jimmymumu

That's great news, thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Debbie

Message 2 of 126

Well this is the longest i've had a good service. Thank you and just hope it continues this way

Message 3 of 126

Hi jimmymumu

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 126
Thank you. I'll keep you updated
0 Likes

Message 5 of 126

It has been turned off again now.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 6 of 126
Brilliant. I'll let him turn it of and then see how that goes. If there is still trouble I will contact you for help. Much appreciated

Message 7 of 126

I will ask Karl to do this for you. Then let me know if you want my help.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 8 of 126
Would it not be possible to turn the setting off. He never said it was permanent. Thanks
0 Likes

Message 9 of 126

Hi @jimmymumu 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you with your wireless problems.

The monitoring facility that @Karl-TalkTalk  has enabled will change any of the Wi-Fi parameters within the router that you may set. However, there are some bugs currently in the hub's firmware V2600, that prevent it being as effective as it should. Personally I don't like it being enabled currently until these bugs are fixed.

I can help a lot finding the best wifi channels & settings if you want, but don't be surprised if they are overwritten in the hub by this optimisation process is enabled. Please let me know if you want my help on this.

Keith

Message 10 of 126
Ok will do.

Message 11 of 126

Hi jimmymumu

Thanks for your reply.

If you could test a few different wireless channel just to see how the connection compares?

@KeithFrench provides really good advice on improving wireless performance. Could you help please Keith?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 12 of 126
I believe it was set to change automatically if it encountered a problem.. I can still do this if you want me to
0 Likes

Message 13 of 126

Hi jimmymumu

Could you try changing the wireless channel to see how the connection compares? Change your wireless channel

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 14 of 126
All wired devices are fine and the light stays white and doesn't change. It may well be the router automatically changing the channel but not sure. It has happened twice today.
0 Likes

Message 15 of 126

Hi jimmymumu,

Could I just confirm, are wired devices ok? Does it happen on all wireless devices? How often is the connection dropping out? Do any of the lights change on the router when this happens?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 16 of 126
Hi. My wifi keeps dropping but Internet doesn't though. Could you check it out please
0 Likes

Message 17 of 126
0 Likes

Message 18 of 126
Will keep you updated thanks
0 Likes

Message 19 of 126

Hi

Yes, this will only affect any devices using wifi.  So if any congestion is detected on a specific channel, this will make a change to a better channel etc.

This is ON now. Any increase in wifi issues, let me know and we can turn this off.

The system will try to learn what devices are connected and note their connection characteristics to try to improve the wifi connection performance.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 20 of 126
Feel free to switch it on but my main connection is wired to my router so the interference on wifi should only affect my devices connected via wifi yes
0 Likes