FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds plunging towards minimum.. please help.

DashBarzane
First Timer
Message 4 of 4

I've been a TalkTalk customer for over 10 years and I was one of the first in our community to take up FTTC as soon as it became available in our area.

We pay for Faster Fibre & Fibre speed boost 'which was originally advertised in our area as 'upto' 75mbps - this was revised down to 'upto' 67mbps when we 'updated' (forced by doubling the monthly fee) our contract..

real measured speeds.. initially was between 55-60mbps

When we 'renewed' our contract these speeds dropped to 47-50 mbps

Now, best we can get is is 37-40mbps... which is the speed advertised for the slower (cheaper) packages.

Line test shows nothing wrong. All wires from our junction box on telegraph pole in our back garden to the socket in house were replaced/upgraded fairly recently -socket was upgraded too.

Speeds are measured using built in function on router (Asus RT-AC86u) & Talktalk's own tools.

I am attaching a screenshot from my current router's tests which shows the latest drop in performance.

Any advice to get back to [at least] near our original speeds?

thanks

D.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi, 

You can test wired using speed tests such as https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

Any noise on the line may not show up in a line test but will affect the broadband.  We do suggest if possible to borrow a handset for 2 minutes from a friend to see if there is any noise on the line.

Also, if you can test with another router to rule out any hardware issues that would be good. Test at the test socket to see if the issue is the same.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

DashBarzane
First Timer
Message 2 of 4

Thanks for the reply..

Apologies for the delay in response.  I have done the 'switch off at mains for 30 mins' test - no change detectable at my side..

I will try to dig out the official TalkTalk router/modem and install/test over the next couple of days.. but to be honest, I don't see this as being the problem.. The speeds were the same before i switched out the to the new router.

We dont have a landline handset to test with unfortunately - we just  use mobiles.

There used to be a troubleshooting test on the talktalk site that told you what speeds were at both the cabinet and then at the modem.. but i cant seem to find this anymore.. do you have a link, or know of any way speed to the cabinet can be checked?

thanks again,

d.

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 4

Hi

Tests are clear but the router is in sync at 40mb. 

Can you check the home phone and see if there is a clear dial tone with no noise or crackles.

Also, power off the router for 30 minutes to restart an active session.

Do you have access to another router for testing ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes