FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming Services keep disconnecting at night-rebooting resolves problem but only for a day.

GEG63
Whizz Kid
Message 14 of 14

I have a TalkTalk WIFI Hub supplied  a few years ago and a Smart TV with IPlayer, Netflix and Amazon Prime on it which I stream via the WIFI chip on my TV connecting to the router. I am on Fast Fibre 35.

Over the last year or so in the evening I keep getting problems of it disconnecting when streaming these services. Weirdly, rebooting the router solves the problem completely but it reoccurs the following day. etc etc.

I have just checked my speed and connection via the TalkTalk Services page on my account and it says there are no problems.

Any suggestions? Do I need a new router or a new TV?

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 14

Thanks Karl

that should at least eliminate one of the causes.  Saves me messing around with the box and router now which would be a fiddle.

If I'm not in tell them they can put it in the front porch . 

Might also be the TV as its one of the earlier Smart TVs. and I suspect the memory and WIFI chips in these older versions may not be up to modern day streaming rates particularly in the evening when loads are high.

Many thanks to you all for your prompt responses.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Box Faceplate off.jpg

I have taken the faceplate off. Here is a picture of it. Where is the test socket?

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 14

Hi GEG63

I've a new router on the way so we can rule this out.  Let's see if this helps.

Also, when testing with the new router, if the connection drops, look at the home plugs in the sockets and see if the lights on these remain green, or go off or red etc.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

GEG63
Whizz Kid
Message 5 of 14

Also to add, in case it's relevant, the TV is connected to  a TalkTalk Box via a HDMI cable and the box is connected to the router via power sockets (cabling and adaptors supplied by TalkTalk) from the living room to the Hall where the router is located.

I also have an old DVD/Videotape player/recorder connected to the TV by a HDMI cable although its not usually switched on.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 14

Hi GEG63

Thank you. There should be a test socket underneath the faceplate if you remove the 2 small screws.

Would it be ok to connect the router and filter at the test socket?

0 Likes

GEG63
Whizz Kid
Message 7 of 14

Box.jpgHi Debbie here it is. The green wire goes to  a small old land phone I have in the bedroom.

Message 8 of 14

Hi GEG63

Would it be possible to post a photo of your master socket on this thread?

Thanks

0 Likes

GEG63
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 14

Hi Michelle

I haven't noticed whether the mobile internet was disconnected when the streaming sticks. I will look next time it happens. There is no crackling on the phone. Calling seems OK.

I also very occasionally get situations when the internet disconnects completely during the day for my PC, Laptop and mobile then reappears after a few minutes or if I elect to reboot the router.

The router is in the Hall downstairs and is connected to  the box where the phone line comes into the house in the front bedroom via an extension. The box was replaced by Openreach a few years ago so its pretty new . Don't know whether it has a test socket.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Morning,

I've run a test on the line now which has detected a potential fault. Are you experiencing any noise on the voice service? Does the main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 11 of 14

When the TV loses its connection does your mobile also lose its connection, or does the mobile keep working ok ?

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

It remains white. I usually only have the TV and my mobile connected to the router internet.

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 13 of 14

Hi @GEG63,

What does the LED do on the router when you have these issues, does it remain solid white ?

Do you have other devices (desktops, laptops, phones etc.) that also use your TalkTalk connection, if so are they affected at the same time, does the problem affect devices that are connected both by wire and wireless (if you have both).

0 Likes