FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support Chat is INFURIATING I have slow G.Fast Upload Speed

RoyCruse
Team Player
Message 44 of 44

I have been having Slow upload speeds on my G.fast connection for a long while now.

I recently upgraded to a G.Fast fibre 250 product.  yet my upload speed is still around 19Mb/s the same as when I was on fibre 150

I know the theoretical limits of my line used to be around 500Mb/s down and 50Mb/s up (i have a screenshot from an openreach test device)

I have tried 2 different talktalk routers, 2 different openreach modems plus also a draytek 2766 and a zyxel XMG3927-B50A  (two altrernate 3rd party routers with G.fast modems built in)

Whilst i seem to be getting the advertised ~330Mb/s download sysnc speed my upload speed is never over 20Mb/s and usually around 15 or 16Mb/s

I am now 5 or 6 2+ hour Support chats into this issue (so over 10 hours of my time)   trying to get this looked at - I either want a DLM reset or an openreach engineer.

But Im just sent round and round in circles over and over and Im about ready to throw the lot out and get a 5G router.

The latest is they want to send a Bright Sparks engineer....    the last one who came out said it was a waste of time coming as my setup was so simple (ie master socket to router and nothing else) and that i was way more knowledgeable about networks and routers etc than he was.

I also don't want to lose a day of annual leave waiting around for a brightspark engineer to say yeah its what you said....    just to have to take a second day off the day the openreach engineer has to come out.

TALK TALK SUPPORT IS INFURIATING......

a while ago i had a stretch of HR line replaced thus introducing joins etc into my short cable run to the cabinet and Im sure looking back the slow speed has probably been around since then.....

There are 10 types of people in the world... Those that understand binary and those that don't...
0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Message 1 of 44

Hi RoyCruse

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so we can arrange the Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 44

With the strong winds today getting multiple disconnections my upload speed is right back down to 13Mbps 😞

My finacee is trying to work from home and this is proving painfull with the line dropping

even my download speed is getting crippled now.

RoyCruse_0-1645177529815.png

Obviously an issue with external cabling or the cabinet or exchange - if its weather effecting it it cant be IN the house.

So YES PLEASE can we get an openreach engineer to get this sorted - i presume i do not need to be home as the issue will clearly not be in the house.

the problem i have is the engineers always turn up when the weather has improved and there isnt an issue.   even if they did come on a day when the disconnections were happening - they would have to wait around for an hour or more for one to happen which they obviously wont do.

I need some sort of line analyzer box that monitors the line over a long period to find the intermittent fault.  (probably something that doesnt exist)

There are 10 types of people in the world... Those that understand binary and those that don't...
0 Likes

Message 3 of 44

Morning,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I've run a test on the line now which is clear, however I can see a few re-connections on the line. Would you like us to arrange an engineer visit for you?

Thanks

0 Likes

RoyCruse
Team Player
Message 4 of 44

Ive had 2 more drops of a few minutes each this evening.     I get this everytime there is strong winds + heavy rain....

How do i get this issue resolved - obviously an external issue as its weather related.   but every time ive reported it over the last few years - its never doing it when the engineer visits....

So frustrating

0 Likes

RoyCruse
Team Player
Message 5 of 44

Here we go again...

My Internet cut off for a few minutes this evening.

When it came back my upload has now lost 10Mbps.

Its been fine for about 6 weeks and tonight has took the first step back down 😞

RoyCruse_0-1644959226124.png

0 Likes

Message 6 of 44

Will happily feed this back, the community is not real time support, but will pass on your comments. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 44

yes - i couldnt wait here for an unspecified amount of time - took it up with phone support and even then was repeatedly told i would have to pay it.....     had to speak to a manager then they read the openreach report details more carefully and agreed it should not be chargeable.

Its a better experience for EVERYONE, if you just get these things right in the first place.

less work for you and a better customer experience for me...

Message 8 of 44

Hi RoyCruse

I can see the engineer charge has now been removed. 

Apologies for any inconvenience 

RoyCruse
Team Player
Message 9 of 44

When should i expect a response - time is ticking before this DD will be taken and im £65 out of pocket through no fault of my own !!!

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 10 of 44

The support team will respond right here.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 44

RoyCruse_0-1643213235813.png

I'm pretty sure the DLM is running on OPENREACH Equipment.
The Engineer also found no fault with any of my equipment or my socket.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 44

The DLM downgrading my line was the fault...

My point is that RESETTING THE DLM is something I cannot do and have no control over.
The engineer was required to fix the connection.
Nothing I had done or had any control over caused this to happen.
There was an issue external to my property that was rectified by the engineer.
Therefore no charge to the customer.

Will the support team be "advising further" here in this forum ?

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 13 of 44

The fact that a DLM reset alone was required is not indicative of a fault. The support team will advise further as soon as they pick this up. 

0 Likes

Message 14 of 44

There was a fault found - the DLM reset performed by the engineer increased my upload speed by a huge amount from 3 to 19Mps back up to 46Mbps.
As per your own comment earlier the engineer visit is a requirement and ONLY WAY to get the DLM reset done - therefore the ONLY WAY to fix my connection issues.

External Fault Fixed by Engineer = NO CHARGE

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 15 of 44

If there was no fault identified a charge would also apply. I have re-escalated this to the support team for you. 

0 Likes

RoyCruse
Team Player
Message 16 of 44

I thought the saga for this issue was over....

Ive just been sent my monthly bill and theres a £65 charge for an engineer visit.

Can you guys get this removed before the money is taken from my account.

The engineer charge was supposed to be charged ONLY if the fault was internal/my fault !!!!!

0 Likes

Message 17 of 44

No problem Roy, happy to help 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

RoyCruse
Team Player
Message 18 of 44

Much better

RoyCruse_0-1641502658188.png

0 Likes

Message 19 of 44

Thankyou Chris for your efficient help on this and getting the openreach engineer out without to much pain...

0 Likes

Message 20 of 44

I wasn't looking for a shortcut around the engineer visit.   I was looking for a way to get to the engineer visit without 10s of hours of my time talking to first line support who were clearly reading from a script... 

Anyway for next time I will come straight here and not waste my time with support live chat as they are quite frankly as much use as a chocolate fireguard...