FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TalkTalk WiFi Extender

nicolajayneburrow
Popular Poster
Message 13 of 13

When our phone line was installed 2 years ago the engineer placed it in the front of the house and placed the router nearby. We had waited 2-3 weeks, so were without wifi during this time. I asked if the router could be placed in the dining-room but was talked out of it. Wish now I'd stood my ground. Basically we cannot access wifi at all when out in the back garden, probably due to having 2 very thick walls blocking the signal. I recently tried a Netgear extender but still no luck. I was wondering if the TalkTalk WiFi Extender is any good in extending WiFi to outdoors? The only trouble is TalkTalk no longer appear to sell it. There are some used ones on eBay. Is it worth me trying one? Or would I have any luck in getting TalkTalk to move my router?

Nicola Burrow
0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi Nicola

Sorry for the delay.

They are now on the way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Thanks @KeithFrench

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 13

Thank you, that would be great. When I did a test recently the results implied my computer was not close enough to the router. Its in the conservatory at the back of the house but cannot be moved as its a desktop computer and is on my desk. Mostly the wifi is good throughout the house. Its access outside in the garden that is the main issue. Hopefully this next extender will improve things.

Nicola Burrow
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 13

Hi @nicolajayneburrow 

I forgot to mention when you get the extender & set it up, the initial WiFi performance may not be as good as you would like it. The extender often needs a bit of configuring to work optimally with your router. I can provide lots of help with this if you require it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 4 of 13

Hi Keith,

I just checked and all my information is correct under the "Personal Information" section. Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Nicola

Nicola Burrow
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 13

Hi @nicolajayneburrow 

If your Community profile is up to date, TalkTalk will be able to tie up your community username to your TalkTalk account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of this. From there, they will be able to securely look up your address.

Please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 6 of 13

Hi Debbie,

Yes please - that would be great. How would we go about this, as in, do you have my postal address? I'm a newbie on the TalkTalk community. Obviously I don't want to put my address here in a public place.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Nicola

Nicola Burrow
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 7 of 13

It sounds to me like yours are repeaters. Repeaters connect back to the router via the router's Wi-Fi, whereas an extender connects back via Ethernet cable or powerline technology to a LAN port on the router. The repeater needs to be sited in a good position to receive a decent WiFi signal from the router, which may mean it still cannot reach the area you require. In addition to this, the repeater broadcasts out a fresh copy of the Wi-Fi signal in all directions, including back to the router. An extender normally uses the same Wi-Fi channel as the router and this can cause the router's Wi-Fi signal to be cancelled out, leaving the repeater with no connection to the router.

Therefore a much better approach is to use a true Extender. These are often available in a kit of two units which connect over your electricity, back to the router.

Keith

Message 8 of 13

Hi nicolajayneburrow

I can send some out for testing to see how the connection compares, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 9 of 13

Hi, 

Thank you for your help. Yes, I started connecting the WiFi extender right next to the router but it just would not connect, either by following the online instructions via my computer or by using the WPS buttons on both the extender and router. I switched off the router a few times and even used a pin in the reset button. Still no joy. I will have a look online at the TP Link brand you mentioned. Also a look at altering the Wireless channels once I've purchased a different WiFi extender, as I'm returning the Netgear extender to Amazon.

Nicola Burrow
0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Thank you for your reply. Yes I would like to try a set of wifi extenders but the TalkTalk ones no longer seem to be available from the accessories on the TalkTalk website. I see they have them secondhand or refurbished on eBay but I'm wary of buying those as the sellers don't accept returns. I did try a Netgear extender a week ago but it would not connect with the router either via the online instructions or by using the WPS buttons, even though it was placed right next to the router to start off with. I tried a few times without any luck.

Nicola Burrow
0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

Hi Nicola, 

As Ste_Nix14 advises, to move or relocate a master socket carries a charge of £128 and Openreach usually take2 to 3 weeks to arrange this, so not a quick process.

Would you like to try a set of wifi extenders and see if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Ste_Nix14
Community Star
Message 12 of 13

Hi Nicola,

Welcome to the Community!

To get Openreach back out to move it would incur a Non fault charge of around £100.

Have you tried moving the extender closer to the hub as it needs to be able to connect to the hubs Wireless to then extend it further. TP link are a good brand for networking IMO.

Another suggestion would be having a look at your hubs settings and altering the Wireless channels as this can reduce congestion on the particular channel.

Steve -
Have you tried turning it off and on again!