FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TalkTalk WiFi Hub 5364 rebooted after exactly 30 days stable connection up time! Is this normal?

serajmi
Participant
Message 21 of 21

I signed up last month and went live on the 3rd of February with TalkTalk FTTC on a 24 month contract for £21.95 per month deal, which I am getting max speeds 80/20 6.30dB noise margins and 15.00dB for Upstream.

This is the first time I have FTTC since my cabinet only just went live in October 2019 from an EO Line on ADSL which I had been waiting for years.

I am aware that the TalkTalk Wifi Hub router did reboot a couple of days later at around 2am to upgrade from SG4K10001400t to SG4K10002808t last month when I joined.

But yesterday after exactly 30 days stable connection up-time the router once again rebooted but this time at around 2pm after the 30 day system up time mark!

The System Up Time had reset, but there was no power cut at all, nor does it seem to be related to DLM or noise margins as the connection still syncs at 80/20 max at above 6dB noise margins. And neither it is upgrade related as the firmware version number remains the same.

Normally if the connection disconnects the System Up Time does not reset itself only the connection up time would reset. But in this case the System Up Time and the connection reset by itself.

If I know for 100% certainty that this restart after 30 days was programmed by design then I won't be worried!

I was concerned whether this is related to a technical fault of the router such as overheating. Because under the old Plusnet ADSL router Sagemcom 2704n this reboot was happening randomly and it was a fault, sometimes 6 days, 13 days, 26 days, etc.

Can someone confirm if the TalkTalk WiFi Hub 5364 is programmed to restart every 30 days by design? That way I can rule out any technical fault with the router or my extension lead.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20

Message 1 of 21

Things are looking very bad since this latest firmware update for Sagemcom Fast 5364.

Before Firmware update SG4K10002810t the connection wasn't dropping out. It was only rebooting every 30 days, which is much more acceptable.

But this time things have deteriorated for the worse. Every 3-4 days since my last post even after DLM has re-corrected itself. Your service is disconnecting but is giving the illusion that there is no disconnection at all!!

92.23.202.80 United Kingdom > Hackney > Hackney

78.146.102.113 United Kingdom > Bristol > Bristol
2.99.11.250 United Kingdom > Tower Hamlets > Bethnal Green

Connected  DHCP  ( 2.101.95.214). The DHCP IP address is constantly changing every few days. But the router shows

Connection up-time

Connected since 19d 20h01m14s

This is a lie. My connection has not been stable for 19+ days! The connection is lost, it's not even DLM. After internet returns back after 5-10 minutes I see a new IP address. But router is showing that there is no disconnection.

What is going on? Why is this happening. You expect a better quality service with FTTC. But this is actually worse than my ADSL service on EO Line.

Anyway, I have not tried the latest Huawei router simply because I wanted to see how things will go with the new firmware. I don't know what is this coincidence. Before firmware update SG4K10002810t the DHCP IP address remained for 2 months at least. Now it is changing every 3-4 days. That is definitely not acceptable. I prefer the 30 day reboot than the service I am getting right now.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Well on Saturday the 16th of May at 5:45am the Sagemcom router rebooted but this time for firmware upgrade. I had version SG4K10002808t and now it has been updated to version SG4K10002810t.

Before testing out the new router, I can make a test one more time and see whether this new firmware solves the 30 day reboot and if it doesn't I can then test the new Huawei router out of curiosity. That way I will be able to quickly identify if it is really DLM or the router programming should it happen again.

I should point out that since the firmware upgrade from Version SG4K10002808t -----> SG4K10002810t this has appeared to trigger DLM!

Because initially the router was syncing at 78.2/20Mbps happily for 26 days and before that for 30 days then after firmware update at 5:45am it had dropped to 68.8Mbps and then a couple of days later at 1:15am there was a disconnection and it seems to be DLM because speed then picked up again to 73.7Mbps and then once again this night at 1:30am there was another disconnection and the speed increased to 75.6Mbps.

Now I'm guessing DLM got triggered due to the firmware update following the drop of speed. I'm guessing that DLM is trying to recover the speed back up again to where it was.

At this stage it will be difficult to tell if the firmware has solved the issue as I will need to see a 30 day solid connection up-time to see if the router does reboot.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi serajmi

How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Many thanks for the replacement router, Tarak.

I received the router 2 days ago and it appears to be the exact same router, Sagemcom FAST 5364.

I will retest again and report back to see if the same issue occurs again after 30 days connection up-time.

Obviously if it is a router programming by design then the result will probably be the same. I will find out soon though whether it is a bug or programming by design.

Edit: My mistake, it is indeed a different router model. Huawei Router DG8041W-2.T5. But the packaging and router design looks 100% identical to the Sagemcom FAST 5364, which is where I got confused!

I have not yet connected it as I am on 25 days connection up-time with my first router. I will see if after 5 days when 30 days is achieved again whether the old router will reboot again for the third time.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 21

Hi,

Just ordered a replacement router and its a different model router.

Thanks,

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Many thanks, Michelle.

I appreciate and would be happy to go for a new router replacement.

Kind regards.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 21

Hi serajmi,

Thanks for retesting this. Would you like to try a replacement router? As far as I am aware the router shouldn't be rebooting after 30 days.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

I can confirm that the TalkTalk Wifi Hub router does reboot every 30 days! It has happened once again today after the 30th day mark.

Now of-course I was sleeping, due to broken sleeping pattern so I wasn't aware. However, a quick login to my router settings has shown that the router up-time is now 7 hours and 45 minutes.

This coincides with the 1:32pm reboot because that is the time when my router up-time became exactly 30 days today and it was like that last time as well!

I checked the Firmware version, it is still on TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub version SG4K10002808t.

There are no warning logs or error messages in the Maintenance Logs tab. One YouTuber did mention that the TalkTalk router does cause reboot when installing firmware update, but no one specified about the 30 day mark. The 30 day reboot was given to me as a clue from the BT HomeHub 5 router that was also programmed to reboot every 14-30 days.

Given the fact that everything is on lock down due to coronavirus, this time the disconnection is definitely not related to noise margin interference, rein or power cut as there was no powercut and the SNR has been stable. Although I do admit that there been a drop in noise margin coming from 6.70dB to now 4.10dB. But it has been that way for around 14 days I think due to crosstalk, but the reboot is not related to noise margin this time!

It kinda sucks that the router is programmed like that, because I really wanted to know what the maximum up-time can be achieved for comparisons sake. But the only way to solve this is to buy an aftermarket router.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 9 of 21

Hi serajmi,

Ok please let us know how you get on 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Dear Debbie,

Many thanks for the offer. 🙂 I think before sending me a new router replacement, I'll just make one more experiment!

I ordered a new Surge Protection extension lead yesterday from here. https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/1202ns-3m-blk/extension-lead-2-gang-surge-black/dp/PL15364?st=2%20g... 

I will also replace the Cube Wall Socket Adapter Outlet and then test again to see if the router system uptime remains stable, just for the benefit of the doubt. As my existing extension lead is around 10 years old.

If after the new surge protection extension lead and replacement of the wall adapter outlet, the same issue occurs then I'll report back and you can then send me a new router replacement!

I think that would be a more rational first step.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 21

Hi serajmi

I can send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

I have an old Netgear DGN2200 but I believe it is not suitable for Fibre.
I have Sky Hub router but it is locked to Sky, that router never caused me system up time to reset.

The confusion I have is I am unable to determine if a normal disconnection due to noise margins for example would cause the router to reboot and reset the system up time!

Or whether the router noise margins were stable but the router simply rebooted.

If the disconnection was caused due to line instability then I will know it is not router defect.

Do you have graph chart details for my line that can show if my noise margins momentarily dropped to 0dB?

0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Hi serajmi,

Ok thanks for the additional information. Do you have an alternative router that you can test with to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

I did not see any router disconnections or re-syncs on the 19th of March.

ipv4Duration

12d 22h28m49s

Yes the router is connected via a test socket to the NTE5C Master Socket (with the Mk4 frontplate).

In fact I signed up to TalkTalk on a 24 month contract and apparently was meant to have a new telephone line installation as part of the upgrade which I accepted this offer.

However, the Openreach Engineer named Byron who quite blatantly refused to install a new line saying that he was going to charge £150 if he wanted to shorten my line. I even initially said, yes but he was so lazy that he still said he will not do it. I am actually quite angry about this, I accepted the TalkTalk offer on the basis that I will get a new line. All he did was install a VDSL Faceplate upgrade.

There is 10 meters of extra copper cabling coming from intrusion point to the master socket. I wanted this shortened. But the engineer tried to reassure me that there will be no problems whatsoever and I won't have disconnection issues as it is now FTTC and that there was no point cutting this cable to make it shorter.

I remained highly skeptical because the new FTTC cabinet is not sufficiently close enough although around 300 meters.

I used to have 56 days connection up time with Sky on ADSL when it was EO Line but under a 9dB profile. The router system up time would remain connected for 300+ days.

With FTTC so far the max has been 30 days with TalkTalk but the router rebooted. I don't know if the router system up time always resets itself when there is a connection loss. But I am confused whether it is router fault or connection issue.🤔

0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Hi serajmi

Apologies for the delay.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see some re connections around 19/03 and 20/03.

Were you using the connection at the time of the drop? Did any lights change on the router?

Is the router currently connected at the test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Many thanks. Previously the reboot after 30 days did not affect the sync speeds as the Actual rate was syncing at 80/20 so it is difficult to determine if it is a technical problem with the router or really noise margins dropping.

From observation in the last 43 days I have had 3 drop-outs and all 3 are router reboots at the same time, but I never noticed noise margins dropping to below 5.80dB. The first drop out was understandable as it was a firmware update.

But the recent last 2 reboots are concerning.

I'm concerned that the router System Uptime was also affected. This happened with the old Plusnet router after a few months which is also Sagemcom brand and now it is happening with TalkTalk.

However, there's an interesting change I have just spotted. In the DSL checker it now shows WBC SOGEA Availability Date as Available and previously just a few days ago it was showing as -- not available. This is something new after 5 months. If an engineer worked on the cabinet, fair enough that may have caused this disconnection.

But since around November 2019 shortly after the cabinet upgrade I have been noticing router system up time is no longer stable. Now I am in a dilemma whether the router is really faulty or something faulty in the cabinet or my electric extension lead becoming flaky.

Noise margin has now jumped to 6.80dB at 78.2 Mbps sync. Will have to observe again. I would be happy to buy a better quality router but I'm afraid that if it does not sort the issue then I will waste my money.

Yesterday when the this reboot happened I saw these errors.

20.03.2020 12:31:59WarningDHCPC
The WAN DHCP client process has successfully been terminated on Vlan 36
20.03.2020 12:30:59WarningDHCPC
20.03.2020 12:29:56WarningDHCPC

What do they mean? This is when the reboot happened. Is there a way for TalkTalk to tell me if it was noise margin issue that caused the loss of connectivity or the router restarting due to a fault of some sort?

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

The system up time is a bug in so much as this is really showing the time that the internet link was last established, rather than the time it was last powered up.

There is no way that Coronavirus can affect your line or router. I will ask the OCEs to have another look at this for you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hello, many thanks.

Unfortunately this time yet again the internet system up time has reset and this time my connection has been affected and dropped to a lower sync speed.

System Up Time

00h29m09s

Actual Rate [Kbps]Maximum Rate [Kbps]Noise Margin [dB]Attenuation [dB]Power [dBm]

Line 1
DownstreamUpstream

I understand that there's a huge amount of storm right now and maybe due to Corona Virus there may be system congestion in the network with too many internet users.

Internet connection speed is no longer syncing at 80 Mbps and this time the connection has only lasted for around 13 days. Perhaps the 30 days stability previously was simply a coincidence!

It seems like my long term internet disconnection problems will never be fully resolved until indeed FTTP comes. After 10+ years of waiting on EO Line on ADSL, FTTC Cabinet arrival in October 2019 has not really improved internet connection stability.

Now I don't know what to blame here, the router or the noise margins. But once again I don't understand why the System Uptime should reset by itself even if it is related to noise margins.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 19 of 21

Hi serajmi,

Thanks for your post. I've run a test on the line which hasn't detected a fault and the connection looks stable. I've not heard before of the router resetting after 30 days. Could you let us know if this does happen again and we can investigate this further.

Thanks

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 20 of 21

I have asked one of TalkTalk's OCEs to pick your thread up and investigate the reason for this.

The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time, this can take 24 - 48 hrs (excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays). Alternatively, you can call the call centre or use online chat. The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:-

Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?