FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talktalk hijacking dns. Opt out link doesnt work

A0044c
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 10

Staff/moderator: please remove me from your "error replacement service".

Also, fix the optout link. Whats the point in having it if it does nothing?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10
I used 79.79.79.77 and 79.79.79.78 servers in the one that 'seems' to work - also they are old Tiscali servers!

Will check tomorrow if still is working
0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

ICO.org has been informed, if it serves at 'anything'!

It still is happening.

Also if one wishes to change servers IP, I managed to replace one router [did two] and seems OK now.

I cannot 'make' other router accept new IPs - no idea why - same newest router [black] with latest firmware & nothings is changed after clicked apply 'on this router only'

Can anyone be so kind to post [with prt/scn images] step by step?

So anyone will try that, while sooner or later this will go to Court in my view!

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

If the opt out is not working properly an easy way to enforce the opt out of the service is to change your DNS servers for your connection. Change them to Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4 and that automatically works.

cheers

Barney

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 10

Hi A0044c,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Error replacement is part of the service we offer to enhance customer experience and provide customers with further guidance with their online search. In the interest of consent, we offer the option to opt out. We are aware of an issue with the service and we’re looking to resolve as soon as possible.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10
Fixed.

It's a shame this was an issue in the first place though.

This kind of "service" should be strictly opt-in.

TalkTalk need to take a look at this and make sure they're GDPR compliant while providing personal data to a third party without consent.

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 6 of 10

Hi A0044c,

If you still experiencing an issue with this then could you complete the opt out again and then leave the router turned off for a full 30 minutes and then let us know if this works please.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 10

Thank you for that, you made my day, I learnt something new!

I have flagged your post for assistance and you should hear soon.

Regards

D

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Hi @Divsec 

I'm talking about https://www.talktalk.co.uk/optout/

A0044c_0-1592779685057.png

This opt out is supposed to stop talktalk from hijacking dns requests via barefruit's service.

When I interact with a non-existent domain I expect to see NXDOMAIN from the command line, or an error page in a browser.

Instead talktalk are substituting that NXDOMAIN with A records that point to an IP owned by barefruit.

The result of this "Error Replacement Service" is talktalk serving up unsolicited "helpful" spam instead of an error, and making money in the process.

If you could make sure the opt out is honoured, that'd be great 🙂

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi  @A0044c if I knew what you are talking about I would be happy to help.D o you have a screenshot of similar

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes