FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is no mains phone socket in our flat - need help ASAP

madcan0
First Timer
Message 8 of 8

We've searched every wall in our flat and cannot find a mains phone socket anywhere. There is one socket in one of the bedrooms with a round hole and a cable that stretches across the entire flat, but nothing that the TalkTalk router can plug into. The technical support chat says that OpenReach has detected a phone socket but we can't find one anywhere. 

Does this mean we'll have to pay £128 for an engineer visit? This is literally not our problem so I really wouldn't be happy about paying for that. 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

Hi madcan0

Would you prefer to continue with the Chat Team first?

Yes it does look like a TV aerial socket.

Thanks

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 8

@madcan0  that is a standard TV socket, not likely to be anything to do with broadband.

madcan0
First Timer
Message 3 of 8

Done, thanks @Debbie-TalkTalk. I'm on the online chat with someone as well and they think that socket is for an aerial. 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi madcan0

Thanks for your reply.

Please can you also add your name and TalkTalk landline number to your Community Profile, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

madcan0
First Timer
Message 5 of 8

Hi @martswain @Debbie-TalkTalk thanks for your quick responses. 

Here's a picture of the socket in one of the bedrooms - I think you're right and it's a Virgin Media socket. There's a bunch of cables that runs right the way through the flat into the living room. TalkTalk are saying they've detected a phone socket in the flat so I'm assuming this must be it? Either way our talktalk router doesn't plug into it.  I've contacted the company that own the building to ask for more details.

Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 14.17.00.png

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 6 of 8

@madcan0  can you identify any cabling on the outside of the building where a phone line may enter ?

If you are not the only flat, do others have working phone lines and where are the master sockets ?

If you are renting, suggest you ask the owner or landlord if a master socket has been removed and the cable hidden by subsequent decoration in the flat.

It is not unknown for the above to happen, especially if Virgin Media or another cable service has been installed.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 8

Hi madcan0

I'm sorry to hear this.

Would it be possible to post a photo of the socket you have found on this thread?

Thanks

0 Likes