FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmitter killing fibre connection

m0pnn
Team Player
Message 8 of 8

Hi

I have just had fiber 150 installed (MT992) all working well. If I transmit just a few watts from my Amateur radio transmitter it kills the connection instantly. I can`t move my antenna`s and I have tried using ferrite rings on all the cables etc. What are my options, please. Not transmitting isn't one 🙂

Cheers

Paul     

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Piethorne
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 8

Reminds me a bit of this story from last year:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/09/old-tv-set-interfered-with-villages-dsl-inter...

I'm just a customer who might be able to help, not official help & support.
0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 8

@m0pnn please confirm you have a g.fast modem and a separate TT router (which model?)

Is it the internet LED on the g.fast modem that disappears when you transmit ?

Does the DSL light remain normal ?

On the TT router side, does the indicator light do anything and do the actual WiFi and LAN connections stay connected to your devices ?

If your transmitted RF is killing the internet signal but not actually causing a DSL drop, I doubt whether you'll ever find exactly where the disruption is happening

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 8

Those frequencies are way lower than 802.11 WiFi, which operates in the 2.4GHz & 5GHz spectrums. I know you said that you can't move the radio antennae, but is it close to the router?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 4 of 8

Hello,

@KeithFrench - Is this something that you would be able to provide any assistance with please?

Thanks

m0pnn
Team Player
Message 5 of 8

I've tried a couple of other things today. I have removed the phone line extension to the computer/radio room.  With just the phone line and power cable plugged in the modem, the connection still gets killed. Are there any other compatible modem/routers availabe? 

Cheers

Paul    

0 Likes

Message 6 of 8

Thanks for your reply

Yes, I had Fibre 65 before. The phone line is clean. (Power, Dsl, Internet, Lan) all LEDs are normally green when the connection drops Internet LED is out.

3.5mhz 7mhz  10mhz 14mhz 28mhz are all ok at full power any mode. 18mhz 21mhz and 24mhz all kill the connection with 18mhz being the worst affected. CW, SSB, FT8, PSK, modes all kill the connection.

Cheers

Paul        

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 7 of 8

@m0pnn 

I guess this is  g.fast Fibre 150 over the phone line, please confirm.

Have you previously had a FTTC service (Fibre 35/65) at your property ?

Is there any extraneous noise on the phone when you transmit ?

What do the modem and router lights show when the connection dies ?

What amateur band and modulation are you using ?

0 Likes