FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable internet connection

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 19 of 19

I have been advised by Michelle to start my own thread. I keep losing connection both wi-fi and Ethernet. The connection repeatedly goes down and only returns when I restart the laptop or iPad. I have had a data only connection installed by Openreach adjacent to the router. A line test shows no fault but this has been going on for some time and is getting worse. I suspect the router, currently Huawei 633 as it is quite old. I have been repeatedly advised to leave TalkTalk after many years but yet again would welcome your assistance.

Pal353
0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19
0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Thanks Chris. I will let you know how I get on with it.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

Hi Pal353,

I've ordered the router, it should be with you within a couple of working days and yes the router will be always on

Chris

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Thanks Chris. Please send another router. Can I assume that as it is now fibre broadband, the router will be always on and so does not require to be set to that setting? Thanks for your help.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

OK thanks. I can send another router out to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Yes Chris I have pressed the F5 key on the laptop and all your posts have now appeared.

The only other router I have is a D-Link Model DSL-3782 which is old, certainly before the fibre upgrade, and was so unreliable that I was sent the Huawei router as a replacement. So I am not inclined to test the system with that.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

Sorry, yes I meant the F5 key on laptop/desktop - Do you have another router that you can test with?

Chris

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 8 of 19

This latest post has appeared on the thread. By F5, do you mean that key on a laptop or desktop? I am on my iPad and there are no F keys on that. Anyway, at present that problem is solved. When I return home in about three hours, I will use my laptop. Just to add, the cable from the master socket round the outside of the house and then through the wall to the data only socket for the router was renewed by Openreach only a few years ago. It looks in excellent condition and it was checked by the engineer who fitted the new master socket and the data only socket a few months ago. Since this morning there has not been any dropped connection but this is often the case. Yesterday I took part in a Zoom meeting for 90 minutes with no problems. But the connection was lost once last evening and three times before 9 am including once when I was on a new laptop with an Ethernet connection. 

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Can you try refreshing the you community thread page (F5) and let me know if the posts then appear

Chris

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Re your last message received by email, Chris, the cable that comes through the wall into the data only socket is hard wired into the back of the master socket. There are no cables plugged into either port on the front of the master socket.

For some reason, I am getting your emails but they are not appearing in the Community thread where I am posting this and other replies.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 11 of 19

OK thanks. So the cable that connects to the data socket upstairs for your router, is that plugged into the internet port of your master socket or is it hard wired into the back of the master socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 12 of 19

Re your latest message Chris received by email, it is a master socket 5C Openreach MK4. It was fitted earlier this year.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

Hi Pal353,

Which type of maser socket do you have - Your guide to master sockets

(there's an issue currently with PM's displaying the wrong number of messages, apologies for any inconvenience)

Chris

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Thanks Chris. From the new master socket, one cable leads to a  telephone socket downstairs for the phone. The other is taken round the outside of the house and through the wall upstairs into another socket for the router only.

Re PM’s the last private message  can see was from July 2020. The number on my avatar was 1 earlier this morning and is now 3. But these messages do not appear when I click on the envelope icon.

Pal353
0 Likes

Message 15 of 19

Do you just have the one telephone socket with just a router connected, no telephone?

To access PM's you need to click on the envelope icon on the top right after clicking on your avatar

Chris

0 Likes

Pal353
Super Duper Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Thanks Chris. When the internet drops out, the internet light goes blank and then red. After a short while, it returns to green when the connection is restored. Very hard to watch an internet TV programme.. Re Martswain, I was switched to Fibre Broadband some months ago as a free upgrade. By Data Only, I meant that the Openreach engineer altered the socket to one that has no connection for a phone line.

Also I have forgotten how to access my public messages. I click on the avatar but cannot see how to open them. Please advise.

Pal353
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 19

Hi Pal353,

Line test is clear and your router is in sync at 39.2Mbps but I can see some reconnections over the last few days. Do the lights change on the router when the connection drops?

Chris

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 18 of 19

@Pal353 

There is no support here for Future Fibre - Data Only, you need to contact the team directly from the Future Fibre page.

However, it is highly unusual for FF customers to be using the HG633, they normally have a new HUB or EERO provided as part of the upgrade.

Your avatar suggests your profile is complete and includes a landline number, a service which is not available on FF.

Exactly what TT product do you have ?

0 Likes