FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreliable wifi across different devices

Jamiet123
First Timer
Message 7 of 7

Hi,

I've had an ongoing WiFi problem ever since getting talktalk broadband. For some reason devices connected to the 2.4ghz WiFi band experience disconnections at random times and slow speeds. This problem doesn't seem to happen on the 5ghz WiFi band. Our smart TV doesn't have the capability to connect to the 5ghz band and does experience the above problems, however my laptop connects to the 5ghz band and experiences no problems. I have the black Talktalk WiFi hub connected to a BT socket via a microfilter. A talktalk engineer has been out to ensure our set up is correct and that the WiFi hub is working correctly. Is there anything elae that can be done because not being able to watch shows on the TV without it buffering lots is becoming a pain.

Jamie Talbot
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

martswain
Philosopher
Message 1 of 7

1. You didn't save your changes before exiting

2. You didn't change the password for both WiFi bands so the devices on the band you did not change reconnect automatically.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 7

Best practice is to set the 2.4 GHz bandwidth to 20 MHz and only use the non-overlapping channels which are 1, 6 and 11.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 7

Hi,

I have used the linked WiFi analyser which identified my WiFi signal as green. There were a few WiFi hot spots using channel 6 - the same our WiFi hub is using. I changed this to channel 12 which was showing as empty. This hasn't seemed to make any differences and the connection is still unreliable.

Jamie Talbot
0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

Hi Jamiet123

Sorry for the delay.

How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 5 of 7

Hi, thanks for the advice. I will investigate this further and reply back here if it seems to have made any difference.

Jamie Talbot

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Jamiet123,

It may be that your 2.4GHz band is suffering from channel interference (e.g. a neighbour may have a router broadcasting on the same, or similar, channel to yours).

You could try changing the channel that your router broadcasts the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use a channel that is less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that.

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile. The staff won't be back here until 29th Dec.