FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Fibe 35 in name only?

dystome
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

Hello,

A few weeks ago we received a letter saying that for being a loyal TalkTalk customer, we were being upgraded from our sub-20 Mbps copper connection to Fibre 35.

Yesterday, I received an email saying this upgrade had now been completed. No one ever installed a fibre optic connection to our house and the router is still connected to a phone socket.

Regardless, I restarted the router and did a speed test, using a laptop placed very close to the router, with all other WiFi devices in the house turned off. The result was the same 15 - 16 Mbps we've always had.

However, on checking my account, I'm told that the measured speed to our router is 39 Mbps and has been consistent so for the last few days. I repeated the speed test with a different laptop and got 15 Mbps again. So I now suspect the following:

a) That our 'upgrade' to Fibre 35 is just some administrative tidying by TalkTalk and was never intended to actually give us a better connection, let alone a fibre optic one.

b) That the 'measured' speed to the router - a test that is suspciously not available for me to try live by clicking on a speed test button - is in fact just a statement of a nominal number.

Can anyone confirm whether these two statements are correct? It was a free 'upgrade' so I'm not exactly annoyed, I just want to make sure I'm not missing out.

Thanks.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 5

Hi dystome,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

@dystome an upgrade to Fibre 35 (previously named Faster Fibre) involves moving from an ADSL connection at the exchange to a Fibre to the Cabinet connection in the street.

The fibre optic cable terminates at the cabinet and as with all FTTC connections, the last part of the service remains over the phone line.

FTTC.png

Message 3 of 5
Ah, okay. That sounds a lot like statement (a), except I that was never on Faster Fibre to begin with.

Thanks for your rapid reply.
0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Fibre35 is just a rebranding of Faster Fibre, and is only Fibre to the cabinet.

Nothing's changed between the cabinet and your house, @dystome, so that bit is still copper.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes