FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Slower Broadband?

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 38 of 38

Recently I was automatically upgraded to the basic fibre broadband deal.  Since then life has become reminiscent of the day when we we watched the eggtimer until out brains began to wither away.  I'm not very tech savvy, so please can someone tell me - are Openreach meant to improve your connection or make it worse.  They have visited my street innumerable times recently laying new cables and working on the telegraph pole outside my house.  Each time they arrive, looking very fed up and confused ( sometimes in three separate vans) they rummage around, and lo and behold, my connection becomes even slower or drops out altogether.  What the hell am I paying for?  I have not been receiving the (more expensive) service I am paying for.  It is pointless me keep reporting it or doing line tests when Openreach are almost at the end of my drive.  Ask them for information you might say.  Not a bloody chance.  Not sure if some of them can actually speak.  When will I be entitled to a refund, as the service promised is not being provided?

0 Likes
37 REPLIES 37

Message 1 of 38

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. I've re-run the line test now which is clear and the connection looks stable for 8 days and the sync speed also looks consistent. If this is still happening with 2 different routers, cables and microfilters when connected at the test socket and also when connected wired then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit.

If you would like to go ahead with this then please let us know and we can confirm some details with you to arrange this.

Thanks

0 Likes

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 2 of 38

Further to previous post.    Monday evening, everything okay until 8:15pm then You Tube videos stopped streaming - Daily Mail very slow to load pages - had trouble coming back on here to write this post.

0 Likes

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 3 of 38

No some evenings are trouble free, as are some Saturday afternoons.  Sometimes it might be the odd brief blip, other times might be quite a nuisance.  I listen to lots of You Tube music videos and use several on-line newspapers downloading lots of articles so soon notice change in download speed.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 38

Is it pretty much the same every evening of the week? Have you noticed if it's any different at the weekend?

Chris

0 Likes

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 5 of 38

Yes, that is the case.   Also, while watching apps through Youview box picture can break up and pixelate.  To be honest it is not often we watch apps directly through TV, so we have never noticed any problems.  It is worth mentioning that if we watch apps through laptop wired into TV or through wi-fi same problems can occur.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 38

Thanks for the information. Just to confirm, you experience the buffering when streaming through the apps on the Youview box and not directly through the apps on the TV (if you have a smart TV)?

Chris

0 Likes

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 7 of 38

Thank you for your prompt reply, Chris.

Whilst changing the router made a vast improvement - pages/sites generally load more quickly - there are still periods of the day/evening when loading pages or streaming become painfully slow or  almost freeze up - particularly streaming content on TV box via apps, (iplayer, all4, etc) or You Tube videos on laptop.  Though it is not happening as often as it was, or, for as long.  This seems to coincide with periods of high demand, (Schoolkids/ workers coming home, weekend sports, etc.)  To remind you, you asked me to wire up laptop during these times, which I did and reported that as obviously TV box is always wired up it can't be a wi-fi problem.  As it seems lots of people are having similar problems, I concluded this problem appears  intermittently and is something we have to live with!  Originally, I put it down to Openreach upgrading, lines and possibly equipment in telephone exchanges, though they now seem to have completed their work.  Is this a general problem TalkTalk engineers are investigating as the broadband signal doesn't seem strong enough or able to cope with demand?  I definitely wouldn't consider upgrading.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 38

Hi Ribbleman,

Apologies for any confusion. Please ignore the email regarding sending the set top box back, this was sent in error.

Please send one of the routers back in the returns bag provided, the router serial numbers are registered to you so our returns department will know that it's your returned router

Are you currently experiencing any problems with your service?

Chris

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 9 of 38

Morning,

I have the return bag they sent with the router.  The problem was the email they sent me requested return of TV box!  My query was that they are not expecting a router so will they be further confused.  I will enclose a letter otherwise they will not know where it has come from or record it on my account - and maybe charge me £50 for non-return.

I expect the answer to my second query is 'yes, this thread is now closed.'  It is hard work getting answers from TalkTalk.  There would be less work at your end if people didn't have to keep posting because simple information isn't passed on.  In spite of following all your instructions I've never had a conclusive answer as to what the problem was likely to have been and that you have now closed the thread.  I'm still having to ask the question!

0 Likes

Message 10 of 38

Morning,

I'm sorry for the delay. If you have recently been sent a replacement router for testing purposes and you now have 2 routers then we do ask for one of the routers to be returned. Would you like us to send another returns bag?

Thanks

0 Likes

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 11 of 38

As I've never received any further advice or conclusions as to the cause of the problem I assume you regard this matter as closed.

Therefore , in view of the erroneous and very curious, request by your Returns Dept asking for return of my TV box instead of old router, should I send the said router back now, even though they have not asked for it?  Or will this cause them further confusion, given they have not raised the paperwork for a router?  After reading all the other complaints, both new and old, about slow speed and connection problems it seems this is another problem TalkTalk is unable to cure at this time.  Whilst my contract runs it's course I expect, like others, I shall have to live with this intermittent fibre broadband connection speed problem.  I'll shall then assess the situation and act accordingly.  Thank you for your help but could you please let me know about the router then I'm not landed with another ridiculous  £50 fine treat!

0 Likes

Message 12 of 38

OK thanks, you shouldn't have been sent the email asking you to return the TV box  so I'll escalate this to the relevant department, apologies for any inconvenience

Chris

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 13 of 38

Sorry I thought that was clear.  Have you read my last message regarding being asked to return my box or be charged £50??  Yes, the box is in daily use and we use it to stream films progs etc through BBC I player, All4, etc.  So as the box is obviously 'wired up' the problem wasn't caused by wi-fi as it kept stopping while it buffered.  However, over the weekend I wired-up the PC as instructed, then since going back to wi-fi everything has performed okay - including the box.  I am still a little annoyed and concerned to have recieved an email requesting that I return the box (or be subjected to what amounts to a £50 fine) when there is nothing wrong with the box. As I cannot reply directly to your recycling dept I would be pleased if you, or someone could address the problem for me.  You sent me a router - not a replacement TV box.  How have the two things become confused?  Will I find that I am charged
£50 in November because no one has corrected the error?  I can return the box and have no TV which will mean the contract has been broken by TalkTalk.  I will be returning a box that is in daily use.  As for the original problem,  I judged the performance against how it performed before you put me on the basic fibre deal, and the fact their was a problem streaming not on how fast you claim it should be.  Things seem to have settled down, but I can only leave the assessment of the performance quality and speed to your expertise.

0 Likes

Message 14 of 38

Hi Ribbleman,

Could I just ask if you are currently using the Youview box?

Chris

0 Likes

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 15 of 38

Thank you Gliwmaeden2.  I have bad memories of dealing with other companies who apologise profusely for the mix up - then fail to correct the error!  Taking back by set top box would be tantamount to cancelling my contract!  Many thanks for your reply.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 16 of 38

Unfortunately it does sound as though the returns department has made a muddle, @Ribbleman. Their record keeping and processing have been rather chaotic this year.

Hang onto everything for now. 

Staff on here will record the incident and make sure that you are not charged for an item that is in ongoing use!

They'll confirm whether you need to return the old router yet.

Staff will be back on here on Monday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 17 of 38

I appear to have an additional problem.  I have recieved an email from TalkTalk requesting that I return my set box for recycling by 11/11/2021 or be charged £50.  As you know I have not had a problem with my set box.  The serial no of the box requested is my current box which I have had for quite a while.  Is someone getting confused with the replacement router you sent me?

Message 18 of 38

Hi Ribbleman

Yes that will be great, thank you.

Debbie

0 Likes

Ribbleman
Super Duper Contributor
Message 19 of 38

Hi Michelle,

Yes, I will endeavour to do that.  It sometimes happens Sat afternoon, so I assume it's the same problem, high demand.  But I will try to be around this evening (Frid) 4pm onwards.  Schools here finish earlier Friday so I'll leave Laptop wired up if I have to go out.  Hope that's okay.

Message 20 of 38

Hello,

Ok thanks for confirming. The next time this happens of an evening would it be possible to test wired for a short period so we can confirm if this is solely related to the wireless please? We will then be able to offer more advice following this.

Thanks