FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to fibre 35. Speed is only 4mb still. New Black router wasn't sent. Issues with old router

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 25 of 25

Hi.

My service was upgraded to Fibre 35 in March. Since then there hasn't been any speed increase, it is still only 4mb. Next door neighbour on a standard copper connection gets 8mb.

I think I was likely entitled to a new Black router as part of the upgrade but haven't received one.

My current router HG633 seems to be having issues. Connecting to the router is fine through wifi or cable, but the connection to the internet seems to drop. If I connect to the router and stop/start connection it is then fine. A factory reset hasn't helped. So currently I am cycling the router about once a day to get the internet connection to work. This should be reflected in the logs at your end, to confirm this.

Could you please check that my FTTC connection has actually been set live, and if so, check if the speed is set correctly. And also send out a replacement Black router please, which I think should be part of the package.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks in advance!

Norm

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 1 of 25

Thanks Arne. That is done.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 25

Hi @normansplace

I can investigate this I first need to confirm some security questions. 

I have sent you a PM on the community. 

Regards

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 3 of 25

Perhaps copy this into a new topic in the billing section, @normansplace?

Anything to do with charges is usually dealt with there.

Staff will be back from Tuesday onwards. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 4 of 25

Hi.

Very disappointed to have received a charge for an engineer callout in resolving this fault. As I understand it there should only be a charge for timewasting or for things I have done which caused the problem. However, Michelle traced a possible fault on the line and when the BT Openreach engineers turned up to check the lines outside they detected a fault inside the property. When the second callout happened, the next engineer found that the fault was with your router. When you send out a replacement router the fault was resolved.

So my question is, why was I charged as it seems unfair and outside of the stated reasons for a charge? The fault lay with your equipment and not anything I did. I am assuming this was done in error, so can my bill be amended with the incorrect charge removed please?

Thanks in advance.

Norm

0 Likes

Message 5 of 25

Hi normansplace

Thanks for your reply and I will feedback your comments.

If you do experience any further issues then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 6 of 25

New router is in. No dropouts so far and speed seems to be just under 11mb. Not quite the level shown as the guaranteed minimum but pretty close. If that stays the case til the end of the week I will mark as solved 😁.

Thanks very much for your help on here. Much better than dealing with the helpdesk although they were trying. Only observation is that if my request for a new router was followed, it would have saved time and the expense of two Openreach call outs.

Much appreciate the tips from the community members too.

Message 7 of 25

Hi normansplace

No problem, please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 8 of 25

Thanks

Message 9 of 25

Hi normansplace

Thanks for your reply.

The replacement router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 10 of 25

The engineer has been and will be reporting back to you. Internal wiring OK, speed should be 18mb. There's a fault with the router. Can you send a replacement please.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 25

OK, thanks for the update, have you been sent a text message regarding the engineer visit?

Chris

0 Likes

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 25

A fault has been found apparently but an engineer visit is needed to the house.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 25

Hi,

You're welcome. If there is no update by Thursday then please let us know and we can check this for you.

Thanks 🙂

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 14 of 25

Thanks Michelle

Message 15 of 25

Morning,

Thanks for confirming. I've passed this over to Openreach now to complete an external line investigation. If you don't hear anymore in the next 48hrs then please let us know and we can re-check for an update on the fault for you.

Thanks

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 16 of 25

Thanks. Dial tone is fine. And there's no noticeable noise. There was a bad crackle earlier in the year but that was resolved.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 17 of 25

Morning,

I've run a test on the line now which has detected a potential fault. Can I just confirm, are you experiencing any issues with the voice service such as no dial tone or any noise on the line? If the voice service is ok then please let us know and we can raise this over to Openreach as a broadband fault.

Thanks

normansplace
Chatterbox
Message 18 of 25

Thanks, previous comment edited to avoid confusion.

I've tried turning the router off for an hour, no speed difference on restarting. Here are the line quality stats in case they are useful:

normansplace_0-1627259248042.png

For comparison, here are the line quality stats for my nextdoor neighbour who is with a different ISP, has an ADSL basic connection and achieves 8mb downloads with very similar line quality. When he goes to the TalkTalk website, he is quoted a minimum guaranteed speed of 9mb with estimated average of 12mb-21mb on the Fibre 35 package which is what I have. My guaranteed minimum estimate from the availability checker currently is just under 9mb too.

normansplace_1-1627259568266.png

Router is consistently dropping connection once or twice a day, a reboot always resolves it. Speed drops below 1mb at times, I will try and use the speed checker to document that.

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 19 of 25

@normansplace, I agree with @Divsec: it's not at all clear in this thread which house has the problem. 

In post #1 it sounds like it is your speeds and unreliable connection etc.

In post #3 it sounds like your neighbour has the problem......

If you need a new router or even an engineer for your OWN service, that should be straightforward enough to organise if staff think it's necessary. 

If it's your neighbour that needs the help, perhaps add their landline phone number to the Private Notes section of your community forum profile. 

Go via your avatar/name; settings; from the drop down menu that starts with "email", choose Personal Information and check that your own details are correct in there. At the end of that section add your neighbour's details in Private Notes and then SAVE CHANGES. 

Whether it's your service or your neighbour's that needs checking, if Talktalk does send out a new router, the old one will need to be returned (or the customer may be charged £50) and if an engineer is needed, the relevant customer has to accept potential charges, so there's quite a lot of responsibility involved!

You'll need to be clearer if you use Chat or the phone lines too - ID needs to be checked. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 20 of 25

Hi @normansplace not clear if you or your neighbour have the problem, have  have you tried a 30 minute router reboot this often improves things. Your post has been flagged for assistance and you should hear soon but please remember that the staff here work office hours.

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.