FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to Fibre65 - internet speed not improved

Superfox
Team Player
Message 14 of 14

Hi,

I have upgraded from Fibre35 to Fibre65 in the last few days.  I was told by a TT advisor over the phone that I wouldn't need a new router or any new equipment when upgrading.  I have restarted my router since the upgrade and having checked my connection speed in the last couple of days, this still remains the same as before.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to anything I can do to improve the connection speed?  Thank you.

-
0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13

Message 1 of 14

Hi Superfox

Thanks for your reply.

I can see the speed tests are around 54mb and based upon a sync speed of 61mb then they look ok based upon a wireless speed.

The throughput should be slightly higher when connected wired.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Superfox
Team Player
Message 2 of 14

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have a wired connection so I'm unable to check the speed by this method.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I've never had a wired connection and the speed has until now usually been as advertised in the several years I've had internet with Talk Talk, even with a wireless connection.

I have run some speed tests in the last couple of days so hopefully you'll be able to see the results.  I've tried to run another this morning but unfortunately the Talk Talk speed test page is showing an error 404 message, so have been unable to do this.  I last ran a  test at around midnight last night when I would have expected the connection to be faster but the speed was still only around 54-55.

-
0 Likes

Message 3 of 14

Hello,

Thanks for confirming. When the speeds are slow at peak times are you connected wired or wireless when you run the speed test? Would it be possible to run a few more wired speed tests at different times of the day using the TalkTalk Speed Tester so we can see your recent results please?

Thanks

0 Likes

Superfox
Team Player
Message 4 of 14

Hello Michelle,

Thank you for your reply.  Tests have been showing speeds of up to 54-55 but are slower during peak times.

-
0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 14

Hi Superfox,

Thanks for the update. I can see that the sync speed has increased. What speeds are you seeing when you run a speed test?

Thanks

0 Likes

Superfox
Team Player
Message 6 of 14

Hello Karl,

Thank you for arranging the new router.  The connection speed, although not as fast as expected, has improved in the few days I've been using it.  

-

Message 7 of 14

No Problem 🙂

Give it a test when it arrives and let me know.

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 8 of 14
Thank you, Karl - much appreciated. Hopefully the new router will help.
-
0 Likes

Message 9 of 14

Hi

The upgrade has been processed and the router is in sync at 59mb.

I've a new router on the way to you to see if this gives better performance over wifi.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 10 of 14

Hello Debbie,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have checked on 3 different devices and I'm getting a speed of no more than 30MB.  I have no cables with which to perform a wired test but I've never used a wired connection since taking out a contract with TT several years ago.  As I've had the expected speeds in the past without a wired connection, I shouldn't think that this would be having an effect.  

Also, when I check my service status on my account, the information shows:

Speed to your Router

Est. speed: 35 Mbps - 40 Mbps

Measured speed: 40 Mbps

After running the TT speed test, there is a note saying:

The guaranteed download speed to your home TalkTalk router is 34 Mbps.

Is there a way of checking that my upgrade has definitely been processed?

-
0 Likes

Message 11 of 14

Hi Superfox

Have you ran the speed tests on different devices?

Have you also tried a wired speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 14

Hello Debbie,

Thank you for your advice but having switched the router off for well over an hour, I ran another speed test which still shows 37MB.  Do you have any further suggestions or do I need to refer to technical support?

-
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 13 of 14

Hi Superfox

I've checked the connection stats and your line is in sync at just under 59mb.

Please can you power down your router for a full 30 minutes and then run another speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes