FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Fibre 150 with custom router

juliushibert
Team Player
Message 9 of 9

I need advice as I've been given conflicting advice. 

I have an engineering coming to upgrade us from Fibre 60 to 150 next week, 25 Jan. I was told by the sales assistant that I could continue using my own router equipment, I don't use the talk talk WiFi hub (the provided one was lost). However, I've recieved a letter along with a cat5 cable this morning saying I must have talktalk WiFi hub before an upgrade can take place. 

Does anyone use Fibre 150 with a custom router? Or been through this upgrade procedure. Did the engineer bring any additional equipment to attach to the router?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Morning,

Thanks for confirming 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

juliushibert
Team Player
Message 2 of 9

It's working well. Thanks for checking in.

Took a bit of configuring but I was able to get it working with my existing equipment.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9
0 Likes

Message 4 of 9

I've not been told, but would assume it's FTTC. Great, sounds like I can continue to use my existing equipment and attach the new modem. Thanks @ferguson   

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 5 of 9

OK, I am assuming you are upgrading to a faster FTTC service, rather than full fibre. In which case unless the inbuilt modem is G.Fast compatible you will need to connect your device to the modem supplied by the engineer. 

0 Likes

juliushibert
Team Player
Message 6 of 9

Thanks for the advice @ferguson.

I'm upgrading from Fibre 60 to Fibre 150. I currently use an open source openwrt based router that has an integrated phone line based modem in it. This connects direct to the phone line through which the broadband is provided. I use a separate mesh WiFi system to cover my flat with WiFi. This connected directly to the openwrt router via a cat5 cable. 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 7 of 9

I should have added that there will be extra equipment installed, either a G.Fast modem, or an ONT, depending on which service you are getting. Which again you neglected to tell us. 

ferguson
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

You will probably be OK, although you haven't given any details of your own router and subject to what the engineer says. Bear in mind that TalkTalk cannot be held responsible for any connection issues unless you are using the equipment supplied by them.

0 Likes