FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to fibre

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 11 of 11

Hi,

I have used this community once to sort out a problem with my ADSL connection and was impressed at the service I received.

This time I do not have a problem as such but I would like to get a faster speed than the 11mb I get from my ordinary copper phone line (ADSL??).

The copper phone line cannot be replaced as I live on a large holiday park but I have read that I maybe could upgrade to fibre as the copper line can be retained and the fibre connection takes place at the end of my line.

Am I imagining this? Or is this possible?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Regards,

Pete

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 11

Hi Gliwmaeden2 - thanks for your very useful message.

Despite the TT web site not listing the FTTC option, the Openreach checker says it is available for my address.

Hopefully Chris will check and also find this and offer me a solution.

Many thanks for your help.

Pete.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 2 of 11

There can be many reasons, @Peter Spencer. You may find this article useful, though it's now rather old:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/05/reasons-why-you-cant-get-fttc-broadband-despite-being-...

If it's any comfort,  it's not even available to me within the city of Cambridge! Still got some way to go before we see the infrastructure upgraded.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 11

Hi Chris - thanks for the message.

I have been on the TT web site and unfortunately there does not seem to be any fibre option for my postcode.

I suppose it is due to the fact that this is a smallish village (although it is only 5 miles from Derby)

Maybe you could just confirm that I am correct and haven't missed anything on the web site.

Thanks,

Pete.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi Pete,

If you need any further assistance please let us know 

Chris

0 Likes

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 11

Hi again Divsec,

Yep - I agree.

Skynet_ TX explained it perfectly.

I now know what I need to ask TT.

Thanks

Pete.

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 6 of 11

Hi Skynet_tx,

Thanks for your reply.

That is just what I am looking for! The cabinet is only about 1km away, so assuming there is fibre in there it seems like the best option.

I will check with TT to see if they can do it for me.

Thanks again,

Pete

Divsec
Community Star
Message 7 of 11

Good information from @Skynet_TX

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 8 of 11

Hi @Peter Spencer,

Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) uses fibre from the telephone exchange to the street cabinet that your phone line connects to, from the street cabinet to your home it then uses the same copper cable that you use today. The standard TalkTalk services that use this technology are Fibre 35 (which can support 40mbps down, and 10mpbs up) and Fibre 65 (that can support 80mbps down, and 20mbps up).

However the actual speeds you can get are totally dependent on the length and quality of your phone line. You can get a rough idea of what speeds your line can support (or even if Fibre is available) by checking your address on this site, if it shows VDSL rows at the top of the results then those are the speeds that BT think your line could achieve. There is no guarantee that TalkTalk would say they could give you these same speeds, but usually they should be pretty close, as they would just be supplying the service down exactly the same phone line.

Skynet_TX_0-1632767987307.png

Peter Spencer
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 11

Hi Divsec, thanks for replying so quickly.

I am getting just over 11 mb/s which is what I was promised, so I have no complaints about the speed.

Since I had the service installed I have got 4 IP camera with cloud storage and two Amazon fire sticks and two tablets and I am starting to get buffering on a few occasions because the cameras are always on and upload to the cloud.

I would like a faster connection but I am stuck with copper cable to the router. I am not really sure what I am looking for to get a faster connection - I read that some fibre connections retain the copper cable to the router and the fibre is somewhere else. All I am looking for is perhaps 30mb/s.

Thanks,

Pete

0 Likes

Divsec
Community Star
Message 10 of 11

Hi @Peter Spencer what are you seeing currently in terms of speeds, and what offers are available to you in my account? 

I don't work here and all my opinions are my own.
0 Likes