FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN compatibility with DSL-3782 router

Splodge
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 6

Hi, I have a long term problem that may possibly be connected to the DSL-3782 router.
My speeds massively reduce by at least 95% (from x10s of Mbps to x100s of Kbps) when using a reliable 'paid for' VPN (I have tried two different ones, both of which should work successfully as they did before using this router). I recently went on holiday and the speeds were fine using one of these VPNs using the local wifi which made me think that the DSL-3782 router or the associated config settings were to blame?

I am using the latest firmware 1.10t and the MTU is correctly set at 1500 as I am on 76MB fibre, on the same street as the exchange.

I've used ethernet, split the SSID, I'm using the master socket and I have reset the router to factory settings. I've contacted the VPN developers, I've bought a new laptop and experimented with different Windows 10 builds on different laptops.

It was only when I went on holiday using the same laptop and VPN that I realised that this VPN speed issue is nothing to do with my personal hardware/software or config.

I note others have had this problem and tried using a different router as the latest firmware did not remediate the problem for them:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/DSL-3782-router-not-VPN-compatible/m-p/2345708#M...
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Broadband/DSL-3782-Firmware-Update-VPN-issues/m-p/2366589#M73720...

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
Matt

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5

Message 1 of 6

Hi

glad to hear the new router has helped.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 6

Different router did the trick! VPN speeds are now where they should be so thank you.

Lost 20Mbps of my usual max download speed without VPN and with ethernet via master socket but it's very early days and I'm not one to complain about having 55Mps instead of 75Mbps.

Matt

0 Likes

Message 3 of 6

Hi

Router now on the way.

Regards,

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 4 of 6
Yes please, thank you kindly
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 5 of 6

Hi Splodge

Apologies for this.

I can send you a different make and model of router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie