FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN slows down connection

paddyward
Chatterbox
Message 12 of 12

Hi

When I am connected to my VPN my speed drops down to about 15 mbps, instead of the normal 50 mbps without the VPN.

The speed drop is not due to the connection, as I have tried it on my phone through 4G and the speeds are almost the same as not being connected to it. Also I did not have this probelm when I was with PlusNet.

I have tested the connection multiple times on different days, so it is not just a fluke.

Is TalkTalk slowing down VPN connections? I have seen many other posts about this problem.

Thanks

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Message 1 of 12

Hi JWilliams4,

I'm sorry to hear this. Please can you create your own thread and we can look into this further for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 12

@Karl-TalkTalkHi Karl. I’m getting an almost identical problem as the other guy in this thread earlier. Is there any fix and do we know if the new router sorted the problem @paddyward If so how do I go about getting one? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 12

Hi 

A new router is already ordered 🙂

Karl,

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Message 4 of 12

Sorry, just re-read your message.

Unfortunately we don't have our old router that worked anymore because when the technician came around he took it with him, and left us with the d-link.

Is there anyway you guys could send the other router to test if it is a problem with the d-link router?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 6 of 12

Great, thanks

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Hi

I'll swap out the router and see if this works better with your vpn.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 8 of 12

On the back it says D-Link DSL-3782.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12

Hi

What model router are you using.  The router itself should not slow the connection.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

Message 10 of 12

Thanks for the response Karl.

So is there nothing that can be done? I can no longer use my VPN with my talktalk connection? I don't think this problem occured when we had our old talktalk router, strange that it has started up since getting the new router.

Thanks

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 11 of 12

Hi

VPN connections are not throttled or slowed down.

you have to remember that a VPN connection is a tunnel connection to a server so the speeds are dependant on the incoming and outgoing speeds of that server and cannot be guaranteed.

Thanks

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips