FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What download overhead should I expect?

Tim5230
Conversation Starter
Message 9 of 9

Been on Fibre 35 for a number of years with 40mpbs router connection and 37mbps throughput when measured on a PC connected via ethernet.

Just renewed on Fibre65 and router has increased connection to 50.3mpbs but the throughput is the same at 37mpbs.

It's within the guaranteed speed of the line,  but can anyone explain why the speedtest on the PC hasn't increased with the higher 50mpbs connection?

Similar results on 5G WiFi.      

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hello,

Thanks for the update and please let us know if you need any assistance 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 2 of 9

@Tim5230 , the good old turn it off and on again seems to work once again.

Apparently the key to this and other stuck speed scenarios is "more than 30 minutes" as that clears any memory effect in the associated equipment and software.

0 Likes

Tim5230
Conversation Starter
Message 3 of 9

It just means I know when to ask the experts 😁 

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 9

Aha, you are over qualified!  🙂

0 Likes

Tim5230
Conversation Starter
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, really appreciated.

Must admit, I presumed that the upgrade to Fibre65 would have initiated a complete reset 

Can't say it's  the most customer friendly requirement to have to switch off for 30mins when the upgrade happens overnight  - who would know or maybe I missed it somewhere ?

I didn't consider it and I've got a degree in electrical and electronic engineering!!!  

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 9

The router sync speed may not have been in sync with the DSLAM sync speed, if you see what I mean!  😉

0 Likes

Tim5230
Conversation Starter
Message 7 of 9

Switched the router off for 45mins.

Router resynched at 49.7mpbs but throughput is now 47.1mpbs - 10mpbs higher.

martswain you are a star.

But that is a bit ridiculous that the router synch increased with Fibre65 but the throughput was "remembered" from the old Fibre35 setting. 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 8 of 9

@Tim5230  try turning your router off for a full 30 minutes and then test again.