FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which TalkTalk (TT) Fibre package to have?

samdottore
Team Player
Message 11 of 11

I have used TalkTalk (hereafter TT) for broadband, initially copper then optical fibre, for many years. Thankfully the technical service I have received has been good, although support can be abominable.

My existing "TT Faster Fibre" contract ends in May 2021, and at that time I would have to pay an additional £3 per month to start a new 24 month contract on the same 'Faster Fibre' package, or find a fibre broadband package with another supplier.

Can anyone tell me what is the guaranteed download speed on the "Faster Fibre" contract? I am currently receiving up to 38 Mbps at home.

TT MyAccount online 'offers and upgrades' offers upgrade to "TT Super Fibre 35" @ £28.50 per month, on an 24 month contract, including Unlimited UK Calls boost and Amazon Tech pack, if subscribed by 28 February.

I received an email from TT on 19 February, offering upgrade as an existing customer to a "TT Fibre 65" package, including Unlimited UK Calls boost and Amazon Tech pack (Echo Dot 4 gen and Smart Plug), @ £29.00 per month, on an 18 month contract.

What is the difference between the "Fibre 35" package and the "Fibre 65" package? Do they offer different guaranteed download speeds? If so, can anyone tell me what those download speeds are?

To summarise, I would like to know, if anyone can help:

1. What is the guaranteed download speed on the "Faster Fibre" contract?
  2. What are the technical differences between the "Fibre 35" package and the "Fibre 65" package?
  3. Do any of these TT packages involve running optical fibre to my door?
"Question to the Void". That way, you may get to know what you really want to know, not just what they want to tell you.
0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

@ifanyonecan, both the numbers I posted should work. 

You just have to wait for preliminary messages to conclude and ask to speak to the LOYALTY team. 

Closed now till Monday, 9am, @samdottore.

Chat is available on Sunday. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 2 of 11

@samdottore wrote:

Hi Chippy,

Thanks for your very helpful and informative response.

There's just one more thing, how did your discount come about? Did you ask for it, or was it provided out of the blue?

I got the discount by calling the retention team, my price wad due to rise to £29.95 at the end of my contract i found i could move to Sky for £26 so i asked the retention team (see below) what deal they would offer for me to stay and as you can see they dropped it to £24, i do  not have calls or anything else included.

We're sorry to hear you're thinking of cancelling. We believe everyone should be able to enjoy affordable broadband, TV, mobile and calls without problems or frustration; if we've fallen short of this in any way, please let us know. 

We'd love you to stay, but if you're sure about cancelling you'll need to speak to us. We'll walk you through your options, discuss any charges and explain how you can return your TalkTalk equipment. You can call us now on 0345 172 0046.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Hi

Phone number doesn't work try this BT Broadband (btwholesale.com) put in your

Postcode

Capture

Submit

Then pick your address from drop down.

Mark

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11
It’s the same for anything nowadays never just renew automatically either ring and speak to human or go via search engine and look for cheapest deal which will always be cheaper than just automatically renewing.

I (we all do) have to do it every year car and home insurance and broadband/phone package. It’s a right pain I know but it’s your money you’re saving
0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

@samdottore wrote:

I understand now what TT are doing - they've split and rebranded their 'Faster Fibre' into two products, one somehow throttled at 40 Mbps, the other running free. 

That's it basically @samdottore . The "Faster Fibre" service was always capped at 40Mbps. You had to pay extra for the "speed boost" to remove the cap.

Maybe going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I think the speed boost thing used to confuse a lot of people who maybe had less than 40Mbps connection speed on fibre and thought that the speed boost would improve it. Of course removing the 40Mbps cap doesn't do anything if your line can't reach that speed anyway.

@samdot. You had to tore wrote:

BTW, the BT broadband checker didn't work for me - "we don't recognise this number". That's odd, since BT issued it, surely, and OpenReach maintain it. Strange!

If your number is not with BT ISP (as yours isn't, you're with TalkTalk) it won't be recognised on that page. You have to go up to the top of the page and click on "Address Checker" to search by your address instead. (I don't think the results are quite as accurate unfortunately but it should give you a rough idea).

As @Gliwmaeden2 says, the best thing to do when you are ready renew your contract is to phone or chat to the loyalty team rather than click an email or online offer. You can discuss what features you want, negotiate a price, and they should give you a guaranteed minimum speed before you agree to the deal.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Definitely speak to Chat,  @samdottore, or phone LOYALTY on 03451 720046 or 03451 720088.

Check "pricing" in the forum search engine or through the link to "legal" at the foot of any TT page. 

That will give you the ongoing full price which applies on a rolling monthly basis when your fixed term contract ends.

That is the benchmark against which discounted prices can be measured. It looks to me as though Chippy_Tea's deal doesn't include Anytime Calls. 

The full price for these is £14.00 monthly, but they are not part of the fixed term contract. You can remove the boost any time after one month.

If you remove the boost and want to reinstate it later, there is no guarantee that it would be discounted, so I think you should grab this while you can, and hang onto it!

Scroll down on this page for the link to Chat:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Perhaps take screenshots as you go - the transcript of the conversation doesn't always come through. Note what they tell you your minimum guaranteed speed should be for either package. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 7 of 11

Hi Ally,

Thanks for your very informative reply.

I understand now what TT are doing - they've split and rebranded their 'Faster Fibre' into two products, one somehow throttled at 40 Mbps, the other running free. At least that's how it looks to me.

I guess it was market forces that prompted them to do this, but typically they couldn't bring themselves to be transparent about it and explain the changes honestly.

Frustratingly, all too often it's only once you've committed yourself to a new contract that you come to realise what has actually changed, and whether it's really what you wanted.

I'm glad I asked the questions - thank you.

BTW, the BT broadband checker didn't work for me - "we don't recognise this number". That's odd, since BT issued it, surely, and OpenReach maintain it. Strange!

Do you know of any other broadband checking service? I will DuckDuckGo it - I don't trust Google.

No matter, since I know my house is only 250 yards from the nearest 'exchange' (presumably the road-side OpenReach cabinet where fibre connects to copper), and I have routinely seen download speeds of 38-39 Mbps for months, providing the download server can deliver that. It remains to be seen whether it can deliver up to 75-80 Mbps on Fibre 65. I hope so.

"Question to the Void". That way, you may get to know what you really want to know, not just what they want to tell you.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 11

Hi Chippy,

Thanks for your very helpful and informative response.

There's just one more thing, how did your discount come about? Did you ask for it, or was it provided out of the blue?

I'm pleased to be able to 'upgrade' from Fibre 35 to 65 for no additional monthly cost, although of course I do realise the fundamental reason for TT offering this is to keep their existing customers on contract.

I'm just wondering if I could get a discount just by speaking or 'chatting' to someone, although at present that seems to be next to impossible.

I was confused, because TT's offers appear to be rather muddled - one thing in an email, something different online.

Chippy_Tea_
Whizz Kid
Message 9 of 11

To summarise, I would like to know, if anyone can help:

1. What is the guaranteed download speed on the "Faster Fibre" contract

That will depend on your line mine was 50Mbps but i am getting 70Mbps as i was when i was on the faster Fibre 80/20 fibre package.

Below is the deal and my speed test,  i made mine was supposed to go up to £29.95 and i am now paying £24 per month

Chippy_Tea__0-1614363768309.png

ttt

What are the technical differences between the "Fibre 35" package and the "Fibre 65" package?

As far as i am aware -

Fibre 65  =  80/20 Mbps.  (max)

Fibre 35  =  40/10 Mbps.  (max)

Do any of these TT packages involve running optical fibre to my door?

No its fibre to the cabinet then copper to the property as it is now.

AllyM
Insightful One
Message 10 of 11

"Fibre 35" is just the new name for "Faster Fibre"

"Fibre 65" is just the new name for Faster Fibre with the speed boost.

Basically, Fibre 35 has download speed capped at 40Mbps sync speed, which is why you're getting an actual download speed of about 38Mbps.

Fibre 65 just removes the cap so you should get the maximum speed your line supports.

Look up your address here: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com to get an idea of the speeds you could probably expect for fibre (VDSL) on your line.

Both these products are Fibre to the Cabinet, not the home, so wouldn't need any physical changes to your line.