FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are the Eero 6 cables so short!?

lsweeting
First Timer
Message 8 of 8

I've just received an Eero 6 ahead of Future Fibre installation on Wednesday. The cables are nowhere near long enough. The power cable is 5 feet long, which seems plenty until you compare it to the old WiFi Hub cable which is at least 8 feet long. The supplied ethernet cable is even worse, just 3 feet long. 

The support agent I spoke to said there is no way to supply a longer ethernet cable or an extension for the power supply, saying that I'll have to buy them for myself. 

So I'll need to spend around 20 pounds on extra cables just to install the new hub in the same place as the old one, on a shelf 5 feet above where the fibre connection will enter the house.

The only reason I was upgraded to future fibre was because there was no way for the loyalty team to offer me a discount on my old package after the contract ended

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Message 1 of 8

OK, I'm sorry but if the cables supplied with the Eero, aren't suitable for your needs then you would need to source your own, unfortunately we can't supply longer cables

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 8

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for your reply. The old router is a Talktalk WiFi hub, so was connected to the BT access point using a telephone line cable, not an ethernet cable. My assumption is that, even if this cable works, it won't be capable of transmitting data at speeds which make use of the future fibre connection.

Luke 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Hi lsweeting,

Just a thought but can you not use the old Ethernet cable supplied with your previous router?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Hi Michelle, 

Thanks for your reply. This assumes that I want to have the eero and ONT right next to each other.

I'd prefer not to have the ONT flashing away half way up my living room wall and I'm not sure the eero would work as effectively if it was hidden behind my sofa with the ONT.

The current setup is nice and discrete, with cables hidden in some trunking in the corner.

The engineer who is currently here doesn't have any cables which are long enough, so I've no choice but to pay for extra ones in order to keep the same setup 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 8

Always an option, but let's hope it doesn't come to that 🙂

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 8

Move the shelf?  😉

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 7 of 8

Hello,

The engineer who is setting everything should be able to resolve this for you. The eero doesn't need a massive cable as it will be located next to/near the ONT which will be installed upon installation. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

0 Likes