FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does unconnecting and reconnecting a security webcam via WAN socket stop internet/bband working?

Clecky
First Timer
Message 15 of 15

Have business broadband fibre.  Something seems have changed with router set up. Webcam cable was connected to router, and some days later disconnected - using the red WAN socket. Normal internet and broadband continued working fine.  Today disconnected webcam and all internet access etc and wifi stopped.  Only started working again when reconnected webcam.  This seems strange. We should be able to add/disconnect without stopping internet/bband. Any clues?

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi Clecky,

I'm sorry but as advised you really need to speak to business support, they should be able to help with your query

Chris

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 2 of 15

I am not being rude at all, we keep telling you that you need to go to TTB support for this as this forum is for residential customer's only. You seem not to want to follow the advice given to you by myself & others.

I am an IP Networking enigineer, but when, as I said in my last post, these routers run different firmware. Certainly, on the residential router firmware, the WAN port is to connect to an Openreach modem or similar, it is NOT for a LAN device. Such a device needs to be connected to a LAN port on the router & the relevant port forwarding configured. Whilst I can help with port forwarding, I cannot guarantee that the way I might tell you to do this, will work on the TTB firmware.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 3 of 15

Don’t be so rude. My experience of other community sites is often they are populated by tech enthusiasts. The router is standard router.  I’m just perplexed by what has happened which has clearly been someone plugging in Ethernet devices snd one other thing (?which I will find out what that is by home owner tonight) in the wrong places. Meaning that a webcam cable HAS to be in WAN port ( which makes no sense) for WiFi to work. Normally webcam is disconnected when people at home and clearly there is bband working.  Also as I mentioned the support team gave us totally incorrect information over the weekend. Thanks. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 15

Hi @Clecky 

We keep telling you TTB support is your only way. The TTB routers run different software to the domestic version of the same router. None of us have this & therefore cannot help you.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

martswain
Philosopher
Message 5 of 15

You'll either have to call TT Business and get an engineer or use someone local who can help on site.

There a few networking experts here on the forum (not me) but as previously stated this forum is for home users, TT business supply routers with different firmware so even if anyone is minded to contribute, they are slightly in the dark.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

thanks. But this doesn’t explain what is happening. Clearly someone has changed which devices are connected into yellow LAN Ethernet ports as the ONLY way bband and WiFi works is if the webcam IS connected to the red WAN port!! Currently router connected to microfilter and phone via grey bband port and cable and all yellow ports used. What doesn’t make sense is this. Bband now only works if webcam in WAN. In past webcam connected/disconnected all the time ( and maybe to yellow socket, they don’t know!) and WiFi  always fine. So. Maybe one of the attachments currently in lan socket, a small black box ( not smart heating, water, TV or TP booster) is like a router extender providing more ports? Maybe that should be in WAN?? Uggh.  Sorry to be so vague but something doesn’t make sense yet clearly it is prob a simple solution!  As it stands it’s as if  ( and this doesn’t make sense) the webcam cable in WAN is completing some form of circuit! 

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 7 of 15

@Clecky , this is the solution.

https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/network-wifi/how-add-ports-router-3777638/

If you scroll down read point (2) do not use the RED port !

(That is for an internet connection when the router is connected to the separate modem/ONT of Fibre 150 and Future Fibre services)

They are pretty cheap too !

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/network-...

Clecky
First Timer
Message 8 of 15

hi. The webcam is outside. What device could be connected to WAN as the same devices ( TV, tp link booster, smart heating hub and webcam have all been connected to router for a while and the webcam lead removed without wifi being affected? There are not enough ports without using WAN. Any thoughts? Cheers

0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 9 of 15

@Clecky , I don't think any internal devices should be connected to the WAN port.

Try a LAN port.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 10 of 15

As has been mentioned before, sorry but this forum is only for residential customers only, for all business support, please visit:-

https://supportcentre.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/home

The TalkTalk support people on this forum have no access to TTB customer's lines.

Thank you.

Keith

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 11 of 15

The trouble is that if you need advice that's very specific and staff need to send out an engineer, you need to complete your community forum profile details for TT staff to identify your account. 

You don't have a Talktalk residential account, so they will be limited in how they can help you, @Clecky.

Yes, community members may come up with some ideas, but if the Business support team couldn't come up with a solution, it can't be all that straightforward. 

Your thread is, however, in a queue for attention so when staff return during the week you should get a response from them. 

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Clecky
First Timer
Message 12 of 15

hi. I’m staying in a normal house with doctors who have to work from home at times so were sold a business package. It’s a domestic setting.  It should be an easy question to answer by technical people. Why should connecting/disconnecting a simple webcam cable to WAN port in router affect bband and wifi.  Biz support yesterday in fact gave us incorrect information! I hoped a techie in the community might have a view or suggestion. 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 13 of 15

Contact  Talktalk for  Business here, @Clecky:

https://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/myaccount2/

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

martswain
Philosopher
Message 14 of 15

@Clecky you may get a few opinions from customers as to what is happening, however staff support here is for domestic customers only.

If you continue to have issues, you will need to contact TT Business support directly