FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my VPN or proxy settings changed

CraigBarron
First Timer
Message 8 of 8

The settings on my wifi appear to have changed, specifically the VPN or proxy settings. This morning I was able to watch Netflix and within hours, I have been unable to. Netflix has said this is due to the wifi changing VPN or proxy settings. I confirmed this by turning off the wifi on my phone and watching Netflix (via the same account) on my 4G and it worked ok.

please help!

Craig Barron
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 1 of 8

@CraigBarron It is unlikely anything changed with your router or connection, Netflix routinely attempt to block people that are using a VPN to access their service, the will be constantly adding new IP ranges into their block lists. What might have just happened is that for some unintentional reason the IP address that you were using got blocked by them. Powering down for over 30 minutes will get you a new session, and this will often also mean you get a new IP address.

If you are not using a VPN to access Netflix then obviously they should have never blocked it, but strange things do happen !

Message 2 of 8

Hi CraigBarron

Powering down the router for a full 30 minutes starts a new session.

If you do experience this issue again then please let us know.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

CraigBarron
First Timer
Message 3 of 8

Hi there, that seems to have worked. Thanks for the advice. Could I ask why this happened? We didn’t touch the router or it’s settings, it seemed to change of its own accord. Thanks.

Craig Barron

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 8

Hi CraigBarron

I'm sorry to hear this.

Please can you power down the router for a full 30 minutes and then test this again once the router has been switched back on?

Thanks

Debbie

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 5 of 8

If you are still having issues accessing Netflix it might be worth switching the router off for over 30 minutes, this will force your router to connect to a new session in the street cabinet when it is switched back on, and will hopefully get a new IP address. If this does not help, the staff here on the community will hopefully be able to respond tomorrow to assist further.

0 Likes

CraigBarron
First Timer
Message 6 of 8

Hello, I have completed my profile with the information mentioned.

In terms of the router, the device version mentioned on the back of it is ‘DG8041W-2.T5’.

Does this help?

Craig Barron
0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 7 of 8

Hi @CraigBarron,

What model of router do you have ?

For one of the TalkTalk staff on this community to be able to look into this you will need to update your community profile to include your name, landline telephone number that your TalkTalk service is provided on & an alternative contact number. This will allow them to identify you, and they will then be able to help.

Don't post any personal details in this thread, just add them to your community profile (only you and the TalkTalk staff on this community can see your profile details).

Then they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.