FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Keeps Disconnecting

mikehampshire
Chatterbox
Message 15 of 15

Hello!

I joined TalkTalk about a month ago and I have been having problems with my Wi-Fi.

I've done my research on this forum and have created separate SSID's for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks and tested them both. It appears it's the 5GHz network that is the problem, it disconnects around 3-4 times an hour, whereas the 2.4GHz network runs fine.

I have ran diagnostics locally on my laptop which is running Windows 10. All OK on the diagnostics and my network drivers are up-to-date. I didn't have a problem with using 5GHz with my previous ISP's router (Plusnet) or when I'm using the laptop on Wi-Fi away from home.

Any ideas on what could be causing the 5GHz issue please? I'm OK to carry on using 2.4GHz for now but would like to enjoy the benefits of faster 5GHz.

My TalkTalk router is a Huawei DG8041W-2.T5.

Thank you in advance!

PS. I am also currently experiencing an outage which is waiting on an Openreach Engineer to fix (great first month experience...) so any recommended next steps may take a little while for me to test.

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that. It would appear that this WiFi adapter in your PC does suffer from unreliable connections, but that does not account for the phones.

Just to confirm, the last set of analyser screenshots, were they from when the 5GHz was dropping out, as I said in an earlier post they all look good?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Hi Mike,

Please open a command prompt window & enter these commands one at a time, pressing enter after each one and wait for the response. Then copy and paste the output from each into your reply.

netsh wlan show drivers
netsh wlan show interface
netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

None of these commands will reveal your Wi-Fi password, although other netsh commands will.

Please feel free to PM the results to me, but if you do, please include a link back to this thread, so as I can quickly find it again.

Thanks.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 3 of 15

Hi Keith,

Hope you're well!

Thanks for re-examining the screenshots. Yes, it is still just 5GHz that is affected with this. At the point of the dropouts on Friday, I had one laptop and two mobile phones connected to the router via Wi-Fi.

1. The router is on the living room floor next to the floor socket and connected devices are usually at most 1.5 metres away, all in full line of sight.

2. I did ponder this too so ran diagnostics, checked for new drivers etc. but no issues, Nothing reported in Windows event logs either. I did previously run from a Plusnet router on 5GHz without issue.

3. As with 1. No obstacles, only 1.5m between router and connected devices.

I did have a rummage through the router logs (User, Firewall, Debug) but there wasn't anything that correlates with what's been happening.

Mike

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi Mike,

In those screenshots, there is nothing wrong at all with the WiFi. When you have the problems is it still with the 5GHz band only, what devices are connected to the 5GHz at the time? If the problem is the WiFi, but not WiFi interference, there are always three areas to consider:-

1. The router & its location
  2. The network adapter in the device (if a PC), or the device as a whole & its location
  3. The air in between.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Hello!

Bad news I'm afraid. Last night my Wi-Fi kept dropping out again, it was really noticeable as I was on a Zoom call with friends. The Zoom call would freeze, disconnect, Wi-Fi would then show as not connected, then re-connected after 10-30 secs and re-joined the call.

I managed to grab some fresh info from the Wi-Fi analyser, this was collected after the first drop out. It disconnected a further 4 times after which I decided to give up on the Zoom call.

Mike

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi Keith, thank you for your help with this. I've made those suggested changes and will monitor to see how things go.

Message 7 of 15

Assuming your SSID is TALKTALKD969A2, although your problems are on the 5GHz band, first, you must change the channel used in the 2.4GHz band. You can only use channels 1, 6 or 11 as they are the only non-overlapping channels, so please move from channel 2 to channel 1.

On the 5GHz band, you are using channel 122 & the signal strength is fine. However, using the channel range 52 – 140, you could see breaks in service, depending on where you live and the proximity to any radar or weather services. These share the same frequency spectrum & have priority over 802.11 wifi traffic. If any of these services are detected, your router must stop using this channel range immediately & move to another channel. Depending on the algorithms used in the router this will most likely be in the range 36 - 48, as these channels do not use the same spectrum. 

I would try 36 - 48 to see if this gives you stability, as obviously, you have no way of knowing if any radar or weather services exist in your area.

Keith

Message 8 of 15

Hi Keith, here are the screenshots.

Message 9 of 15

Hi Mike one of the big perks of 5G is that channel overlap is a virtual non-issue, so pretty much any channel you decide to use won’t be affected by it, leaving your router on “Auto” is likely to place you on one that has the least congestion and interference.

Message 10 of 15

No, I wouldn't rely on that. Please get me these screenshots:-

1. AP List - If the SSIDs are not split or you are using Band Steering, then the analyser will see it as one SSID containing multiple APs (wireless Access Points) or BSSIDs, one for each band, which is perfectly normal. It will show a small arrow to the left of the SSID name & end in (..). Tap the small arrow or the SSID name to expand this.
  2. Channel graph (2.4 & 5GHz)
  3. Time graph (let it run for 5 mins before taking the screenshot)

Keith

Message 11 of 15

Hello again!

I've downloaded the app and ran it against the 5GHz network. I get a series of channel ratings and have now reconfigured it so 5GHz has a specific, highly rated, channel selected instead of "Automatic". Is this right or should I be looking for something else?

Cheers

Mike

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

That would do, I can provide a lot of help on using it if required.

Keith

Message 13 of 15
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 14 of 15

Have you used a WiFi analyser as I can help a lot with this?

Keith

0 Likes