FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi hub TAKES OVER

FlashGordon
Chat Champion
Message 5 of 5

Recently, after logging into the user interface of the TALKTALK WI-FI HUB, instead of  setting the Channel selector to AUTO, I have set it to a Channel which I prefer mostly to avoid/minimise sharing with other users in the vicinity.  I follow this practice for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands and always confirm these selections.

However, I can guarantee that my chosen Channels have been changed by some other party within hours. I am concerned that my router interface has been accessed/ hacked and changed, but not by me. So much for Security.

I have experienced no other issues with the TT HUB since upgrading to 40Mbps broadband about two years ago, but have noted that my firmware requires updating to accommodate the latest WPA3 Personal security settings or Set to WPA2/WPA3 Transitional for compatibility with older devices.

Please update my Router to the latest firmware.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

FlashGordon
Chat Champion
Message 1 of 5

Wi-Fi Optimisation where the TT HUB channel settings are taken over and changed to a "better" channel can lead to immediate shut down of the connection to the 5Ghz band.

In the period I was switched to Automatic "Optimisation" I would sometimes lose my 5Ghz connection within two minutes of connecting. I did eventually notice that this always happened when channels 52 or 100 were selected.

Recently I read that the 5Ghz WI-FI band is also used by civilian radar for surveillance, aviation and weather. These users take precedence over WiFi which are shutdown by the Service Provider to avoid interference. I live within ten miles of a busy airport and since changing to channel 44 my 5Ghz has been rock solid.

Radar does not affect any channels on the 2.4Ghz band and so automatic channel optimisation may work there, but It's use on the 5Ghz band should be limited to those channels which are free from radar interference, in my opinion.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 5

Hi FlashGordon

The WIFI optimisation has now been switched off, please let us know how the connection compares.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

FlashGordon
Chat Champion
Message 3 of 5

Debbie, thank you for your prompt reply; yes please switch off the automatic Wi-Fi optimisation feature, I would prefer to be in control.

I will look forward to being included in a batch of users in the current roll-out of the updated Router firmware.

Thank you.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 4 of 5

Hi FlashGordon

I can switch off the WIFI optimisation so the channel will remain on the one you have chosen, would you like me to arrange this?

In regards to the firmware, our Products Team are currently rolling out the new FW update in batches.

Thanks

0 Likes