FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Connection keeps dropping on ALL devices.

an1sa_k
Super Duper Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Okay, so I've been a TalkTalk customer for around 7 years now and have always had an amazing service. I have a D-Link 3782 router, and from today (05/01/2019), the WiFi Connection on the router intermittently drops on all devices. First the connection slows (really slow - nothing loads), then the devices aren't connected to WiFi, then a few seconds later it reconnects but still no Internet (WiFi signal with an exclamation mark on devices). All lights on router green. 192.168.1.1 becomes unavailable during this time. This keeps on happening until a reset/reboot is performed on the router and has happened thrice today already! I didn't think much at first, but 3 times, no internet on any devices, constant buffering on Netflix and rebooting everytime it happened became a hassle. 

I've tried separating the 2ghz band and 5ghz band, all to no avail. Same problem occurred after several hours of use. I then factory reset the router, so it's back to one WiFi name. I doubt it's WiFi interference as I've never had a problem like this before. 

My line stats on the router are above the minimum expected speeds and when working the Internet connection works as it should.

I contacted live chat and they ran a line test. They told me that everything looked fine and to just reset the router. I ended the chat and a few minutes later the same problem occurred! I'm thinking it's the router. What should I do? Need help. Can't keep rebooting the router everytime I need to access the Internet.

Thanks. 

Anisa Khalifa
0 Likes
17 REPLIES 17

Message 1 of 18

Hi an1sa_k,

I'm glad to hear this and thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 18

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk @Michelle-TalkTalk @KeithFrench

The WiFi connection seems stable and hasn't dropped out once so far with the HG633 router. 

Thanks for all your help. 

Anisa Khalifa
0 Likes

Message 3 of 18

Hi an1sa_k,

Ok thanks for the update 🙂

Thanks

0 Likes

an1sa_k
Super Duper Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk

I've received the router today and connected it now. I'll see how the connection compares and let you know. I'm also posting the old router back. 

Thanks. 

Anisa Khalifa
0 Likes

Message 5 of 18
0 Likes

an1sa_k
Super Duper Contributor
Message 6 of 18

@Debbie-TalkTalkThat's great! I will do. 

Anisa Khalifa
0 Likes

Message 7 of 18

Hi an1sa_k

The HG633 router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Let us know how the connection compares with this router.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

an1sa_k
Super Duper Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk Would you be able to send me the HG633 router please? Many Thanks.

Anisa Khalifa
0 Likes

Message 9 of 18

Hi an1sa_k 

I can send a replacement HG633 or DSL3782 router for testing, which router would you prefer to test with?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

an1sa_k
Super Duper Contributor
Message 10 of 18

@KeithFrenchWould I be able to get a replacement router? Having a look at the community, many others who have had the same problem as me have been offered one. When my son gets back, I'll ask him to have a go at doing what you've suggested. 

Anisa Khalifa
0 Likes

Message 11 of 18

Whilst my guide is long & maybe complex, that is because this subject is. However, all you have to do is just follow the section called "Are you suffering from interference - prove it first". This just involves installing a free "Wi-Fi Analyser" on your Wi-Fi device and following my instructions on how to use it and collect a few screenshots. Then you send them to me & I do the rest.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

an1sa_k
Super Duper Contributor
Message 12 of 18

@KeithFrench Thanks for your time and effort trying to help me out. I really appreciate it. However, I usually hand out these sort of tasks to my much more 'tech-savvy' son who normally sorts things like this out for me, but he's not going to be home for a while and I don't think I'd be able to figure out what to do. I've checked out your guide, but I've just become much more mind boggled than I already am. I'm not very good with tech. Is there anything else I can try? 

Anisa Khalifa
0 Likes

Message 13 of 18

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone & Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide, from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

an1sa_k
Super Duper Contributor
Message 14 of 18

Oh. What can I do to solve this issue? My entire household is internet dependent and WiFi drop outs like these are very annoying to say the least. 

Anisa Khalifa
0 Likes

Message 15 of 18

I did say in my previous post that if someone near you changes their router to one that interferes with yours, you will start having these problems, without you making any changes at all. It would potentially (depending on how bad the interference is) could render 192.168.1.1 unresponsive.

Keith

0 Likes

an1sa_k
Super Duper Contributor
Message 16 of 18

I don't think it's WiFi interference (I might be wrong) since I've never had a problem like this before. I've been using this router for many months and it's always seemed reliable. I hardly reboot/reset the router, but this problem has got me doing so more than I would ever do in one day! Also, during this time 192.168.1.1 becomes unavailable. Wouldn't this still be accessible? The internet slows down completely, and WiFi on devices will connect and disconnect repeatedly until a reboot/reset is completed. It get's very frustrating when that keeps happening. This occurs on ALL devices connected via WiFi. I have tried seperating the channels (as mentioned in some other posts), but this didn't work. It happened again, so I factory reset the router. 

Also, wouldn't rebooting/resetting the router automatically make it change to the best channel?  

Anisa Khalifa
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 17 of 18

Why don't you think it is WiFi interference, this can happen in a moment if someone nearby starts using the same or an overlapping channel. With those symptoms, I would want to prove if it is WiFi interference, despite not having changed anything. I can offer help with this if you want it.

Keith

0 Likes