FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Constantly Dropping (Sagem FAST 5364)

sjames77
Popular Poster
Message 40 of 40

Hi, I have been with Talktalk for several months now and the service has been fine. However, in the last 3-4 days the wifi has been dropping from most on my devices, seems to be affecting phones and smart tv devices more so than the couple of laptops we have in our home. When this happens the only way to reconnect is to completely reboot the router, this is happening 3-4 times a day, so is becoming pretty annoying.

I have tried both 2.4ghz and dual band and it is happening either way. Any ideas would be appreciated!

0 Likes
39 REPLIES 39

Message 21 of 40

Hi @sjames77 

Some of these screenshots you have some of the window missing, particularly Capture 1, so I can't identify your network colour in the graph below. There seems to be nothing on channel 1, which is very surprising, but there is nothing wrong with channel 11 and of course, the 5G is good (this is always the way to go).

This would tend to suggest an issue with the PC rather than the router, but of course, I cannot see the info I need in Capture 1, as I said. Have you disabled power management on the WiFi adapter, particularly if USB, as this can cause all sorts of instability

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 22 of 40

Hi James, 

I found that my wifi and wired connection dropped randomly when on the sagemcom router, I have moved back to the old Huawei router and so far connection has been steady.

I don't know what it is but can definitely say that it is the new router problem for me. Must note that I have had 2 of the Sagemcom routers from Talktalk and both had the same connection dropping issue.

Old Huawei seems to be doing the job just grand with no connection issues so far.

👍

Message 23 of 40

Hi Keith,

I have switched to 11 earlier today and still dropping. I have the current device (laptop) connected to the 5ghz band, haven't noticed it drop but I'll keep an eye on it.

Have attached new screenshots.

0 Likes

Message 24 of 40

I don't think you have tried channel 11 have you, as I mentioned before. Do you have any devices connected to the 5GHz band & if so how do they perform? I would imagine that the network adapter in the PC running Acrylic does not support 5GHz?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 25 of 40

The screenshots were taken 2-3 minutes after the signal had dropped.

Frustratingly it seems to be getting worse, disconnecting about once every 2-3 hour and with an entire family trying to use it I have a couple of unhappy kids at the moment! I've never had a similar issue with the different routers and providers I've had over the years.

0 Likes

Message 26 of 40

Were the last set if screenshots from when it was working or not? It would be useful to see some from when it is not working.

Keith

0 Likes

Message 27 of 40

Just quick update - have also tried factory resetting the router and the signal is still dropping.

0 Likes

Message 28 of 40

Thanks for your help, Keith. I have moved a mirror that was by the router, the only other thing is close proximity is a PC and monitor, but this is turned off 90% of the time and the drop outs have been happening whilst it's off.

To be honest, I didn't have any problems until around a week ago. Nothing has changed in that time - no new devices nearby, nothing moved - before that I was getting a reliable signal, so my feeling is that, whether it's hardware or software, an issue with the router itself.

0 Likes

Message 29 of 40

Hi jonnybeattie, please start your own thread to avoid confusion with the OPs issue. It would be worth letting us know which wireless channels you've tried in your thread. The current one is showing congestion.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 30 of 40

Hi Debbie, apologies in delay replying, but guess what.....internet dropped again 😭

I have been speaking with a colleague this morning, they advised that I need to give it 10 days for the new router to settle, I'm not a betting man but if I was I would bet money on the issue still happening beyond these 10 days, as it has been since beginning of December on two other routers.

I think at this stage my only option is to cut my ties with talk talk and move to another provider who can provide the connection service I need.

Message 31 of 40

Channel 11 might be slightly better than channel 1, but not by much. It will depend on if the other networks on these channels have increased in signal strength when you have the problems. However, it does look as though your signal is breaking up altogether at around 22:26:40 when these screenshots were taken. Perhaps you need to look at the router's location.

This is the best router location, but obviously, this is not always practical & a compromise has to be reached.

The general rule is to keep it away from:-

1. Cordless phone (DECT) base stations
  2. TVs
  3. Loudspeakers & any sub-woofers (including those used with a PC)
  4. Computer monitors
  5. Electrical appliances – they often transmit their own signals that can interfere with Wi-Fi signals.
  6. Bluetooth devices – they operate on the same Wi-Fi frequency as your broadband, which can cause signal problems.
  7. Mirrors – they actually reflect Wi-Fi signals, stopping them from passing through walls and reflecting them back into the room.
  8. Anything containing large amounts of water – things like fish tanks and boilers can absorb Wi-Fi signals like a sponge.
  9. Large metal objects – radiators, for instance, will have the same effect on your Wi-Fi as mirrors. If you have a tower PC case with an internal WiFi card, the metal of the case can block signals to & from the antennae if they are located behind the tower case.
  10. If you are using a USB Wi-Fi adapter, use a USB socket on the front of the PC, as there is more open space around it than at the rear. If a USB extension cable is used, try to ensure that it is fairly short, so as the power from the computer is not attenuated. Long extension cables can cause the adapter to not have enough power from the computer to work correctly.

As a very general rule, the signal travels best on the same floor as the router and to the floor below. It does not always propagate very well to a floor above the router. However, with more modern routers, if they have a higher specification, they may be able to get the signal upstairs OK, but your ability to receive it also depends on your device's network adapter being of a higher specification, as well as its age.

Keith

Message 32 of 40

Hi Keith,

Have attached screenshots from just after the wifi dropped.Unfortunately my software didn't save the 5ghz band window, not sure if that's a problem.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

Message 33 of 40

Hi @jonnybeattie

Apologies for this.

Please can you create a new thread, we can then look into this further.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 34 of 40

Getting same issue, been dropping since beginning of December and have been sent two replacement routers since.

Been with talktalk for 6 years and this has only just started to happen.

I don't know if it is a coincidence but this started about a month after I got the new sagemcom router, the old router worked fine for 6 years.

0 Likes

Message 35 of 40

Hi Michelle,

Wifi is still dropping, I have set up Acrylic Wifi as suggested in the guide provided but still trying to screenshot the info when the wifi drops. Will post as soon as I have them.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 36 of 40

Hi sjames77,

How are you getting on?

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 37 of 40

Please see my attached guide on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith

Message 38 of 40

Thanks for your reply. I have added the 5G to the 5ghz band, nothing is currently connected to it, although I know I have several devices that are compatible. At the moment, 9 devices are connected to the 2.4ghz band.

I'd appreciate the guide, as at the moment I'm all out of ideas.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 39 of 40

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what are the lights showing on the front of the router? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

The TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi 5Ghz gear icon > Basic

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes