FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Drop out, Wired Unaffected, Hub unaware?

Sparrowblack123
Chatterbox
Message 16 of 16

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have a talk talk Wi-Fi hub (the orange and black one) running SG4K10002816t. The WIFI drops out multiple times a day, no rhyme or reason to it, everything loses internet connection (but not my wired connection through my powerline adaptor to a laptop upstairs - not affected). The hub lights remain white, nothing showing in the log to suggest an issue. the 2.5GHZ and 5GHZ networks are both on, on auto channel selection.

The only mild giveaway I can see is our LG TV re-establishes the quickest, and reports 'WIFI Connected - No internet' and shows me a little diagram with: TV (tick) > WiFi (tick) > DNS (Cross) > Internet (Cross). I've tried setting the DNS to googles 8.8.8.8, which works.....for about an hour, before that starts failing too. I'm at a loss what to even try next.

The only way to re-establish the WiFi is the classic; turn it off and turn it on again. At which point everything reconnects happily and on we go, until another few hours pass and off it goes again.

Went through the 'tech support' who've ordered me a new microfilter, despite me telling them I don't need them due to my Openreach socket type (I have a direct RJ11 port for the ADSL) and the fact that the internet doesn't drop - the WiFi does. Please help!

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

Hi Sparrowblack123

Apologies, I'm still unable to connect to your router.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults.

Would you like me to send a Huawei WIFI hub for testing to see how the connection compares with this router?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 16

Hi Debbie

yes its on, but it crashed twice in the last 12 hours so im not surprised if there was issues connecting. Should be okay now though

0 Likes

Message 3 of 16

Hi Sparrowblack123

Sorry for the delay.

I'm unable to connect to your router at the moment? Is the Sagemcom router connected and switched on?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 4 of 16

Done.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 5 of 16

Yes please that would be great

Message 6 of 16

Do you want me to get TalkTalk involved again to investigate the wired/wireless drop outs?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 7 of 16

Hi Keith

Thanks for the quick response. Its running SG4K10002816t.

Happy for TalkTalk to disable WiFi Optimisation.

I think you're right about the older HG633 being obsolete but at the minute im tempted to go back to it for a stable connection until I leave (unless the issue is resolved).

Oddly I've just had another outage, this time the light on the router remains solid white, everything dropped connection (wired and wireless). Unable to reconnect (wireless is there but unable to connect, wired connections reporting no network). I've attached a copy of the log (again, nothing to suggest an issue, just shows all devices cascade disconnecting from the hub?? baffling)

0 Likes

Message 8 of 16

I can't remember the cure for this VLAN 36 error, if it is even an error that is, because the system log is so unreliable due to bugs within this part of the hub itself. The only VLAN the router uses is VLAN 101 on fibre.

There is nothing major wrong with this Sagemcom hub and there is new firmware due out soon if its testing phase completes OK.

Let's first start with the basics, what firmware is this one running? You will need to ask TalkTalk in your reply to disable WiFi Optimisation, this has to be done on a per router basis, if disabled on your old Sagemcom, it definitely will be enabled on this one until you request otherwise.

Once done, then I am happy to provide any help I can on the WiFi front. Whilst your HG633 is OK, it has a much older specification than this hub & I would think might be obsolete by now (this is just a guess on my part).

Keith

0 Likes

Message 9 of 16

Hi folks, sorry for the delay but thought it worth an update. In the end I gave up with the hub 😞 and switched back to my (very) old Huawei HG633.......no issues at all?

However as I was due to leave TalkTalk and move provider I was called up and offered a new deal and one of the Orange and black Hubs again (I did explain that I have had endless issues with that particular hub - but I thought why not perhaps it was that specific hub).

That hubs been in now for a few days and guess what.......the old issue from December has reared its ugly head again. Luckily my ring alarm alerts to me to a cut out in WiFi when it switches to cellular backup so I have the exact time the drop occurred (4:30am - 6:50am - the point at which I restarted the router)

I've looked through the logs and indeed something odd appears to be taking place. I have pages and pages of errors stating "The WAN DHCP client process has failed on Vlan 36". There's an entry for every minute up until the point I restarted the router.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm still within cooling off period of the new agreement and tempted to just not bother and go with another provider? its clearly a hub issue as the old hub was working fine (but was informed that its not suitable for the higher speed i'll be getting? plus its on its last legs now I guess)

0 Likes

Message 10 of 16

Hi Sparrowblack123

Sorry for the delay.

How has the connection been since your last post?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 16

Just to confirm then are wired connections still OK and the light still on the router as normal. In my post I did say that these steps would not fix anything and offered my further help if you want it.

Keith

Message 12 of 16

Staff are now away from the forum till next week, @Sparrowblack123.

Phone help 03451 720046 and Chat are still available. Open hours and link here: 

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Community Stars are still around too!

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.

Message 13 of 16

Hi both,

thanks for the response, should have said - tried both these things already, my 2.5g and 5g networks already have different names so I could see what was connecting to what. Had a great day yesterday, not a single drop out. This morning? No internet, all smart lights, google nests reporting offline, I can see the WiFi network, I click on it, nothing happens, won’t connect to it (only way to resolve this now will be a hard reset at the plug)

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 14 of 16

Hi Sparrowblack123

I'd advise you accept Keith's offer to help, when it comes to wifi issues, he really knows his stuff.

If he thinks wifi optimisation is the issue or suspects a fault with the router, he will flag this to us and we can action any requests.

Thanks  

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 15 of 16

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Have you had WiFi optimisation disabled on your Sagemcom?

The Huawei DG8041W TalkTalk Wi-Fi Hub is a dual-band router & offers both the older 2.4GHz & the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi bands. The problem is these are two different networks (SSIDs), but they share the same name, so you can't tell which one you are connected to. Log into the router (http://192.168.1.1) and enter a username of "admin" and use the unique router password (see the label on the rear of the router at the top).

Go to:-
Dashboard > See Wi-Fi Settings > Manage Advanced Settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 5G Basic Network Settings

Append "5G" to the end of the network name of the "SSID" field. Then click "Apply".

This will not fix your issues, but it will make it much easier to identify the band you are connected to. This way you will know which band is causing your problems.

Having said that, there is another approach which can be better, which is to use Band Steering. This will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. To use this facility on the DG8041W Wi-Fi Hub, leave both network names identical and enable the Band Steering option at:-

Dashboard > See Internet Settings > Manage advanced settings > Advanced Configuration > WLAN > 5G Advanced Network Settings

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

You may then wonder what was really the point of this if it won't solve the problem? This is because the whole topic is too complex to be dealt with in one post. The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results, so as I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Keith

0 Likes