FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi connection to devices keep dropping

Eveb55
Popular Poster
Message 10 of 10

Hello

There doesn’t seem to be any issues with the internet with talk talk but all day today the router keeps disconnecting to my devices and then unable to connect to the internet, unless you continually disconnect and connect multiple times.

no red light on router, checked online status and connectivity and it’s seems to be fine! Reset the router multiple times and it doesn’t seem to improve anything.

the issue has been affecting my PC, my mobile and the PS4 and frankly it’s getting annoying. Any help I would very thankful!

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 1 of 10

No worries, whenever you get the time.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Eveb55
Popular Poster
Message 2 of 10

@KeithFrench 

thanks I have received your PM and your notes. I will try to get some screenshots over to you later today

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 3 of 10

Personally on that router & all of the ones after I much prefer to use band steering, rather than splitting the SSIDs, but that is a personal choice. 

Band Steering will automatically move any 5G compatible device connected to the 2.4G band to the 5GHz band. This is available on the HG633 (V2.00), to enable it, first set both SSIDs to the exact same name. Then go to:-

Home Network > Wireless Settings > Enable Wireless Network Frequency Bands

Then put a tick against Enable Band steering.

I will PM you a link for a guide of mine on Wi-Fi interference & initially look at the section called "Are you suffering from interference – prove it first". This section includes full details of Wi-Fi analysers that I recommend for Windows, Windows phone, Android and Apple operating systems. However, I have no way of testing the Apple product. Do not worry about interpreting the results, I will do that for you.

Please post the screenshots that I have requested in my guide (no photos please they can be difficult to read as text can get out of focus when zoomed), from the analyser you are using (also in my attached guide). Please ensure that the analyser window is maximised (if Windows) before taking the screenshots & upload them via the "Insert Photos" button (in a mobile browser it's the picture icon) on the post editor's toolbar as large images. If they are too small, I will not be able to read them & although I can enlarge them, this just puts the text out of focus. If you prefer PM them to me. If you do PM me, then please add a link in there to this thread, so as I can find it easily.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Eveb55
Popular Poster
Message 4 of 10

@KeithFrench 

Hi Keith thanks for the reply!

my router is the huawei hg633

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 5 of 10

Splitting the SSIDs does not solve the problem, it merely helps to identify the WiFi band that each device connects to. Anything connected particularly to the 2.4GHz band will most likely still suffer the same problem.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith

0 Likes

Eveb55
Popular Poster
Message 6 of 10

@Debbie-TalkTalk  

Yeah there has been little improvement with the wifi connection to devices. It last a couple of minutes then just drops out still

0 Likes

Eveb55
Popular Poster
Message 7 of 10

Hi @Debbie-TalkTalk 

thanks for the response. I have split the SSID and I will see if that improves anything.

When I checked the line connection myself online via my account it did show problems on my line (even tho it didn’t for most of the day) so that might of been the issue too. Not sure why it’s telling you the line has be stable 

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 8 of 10

Hi Eveb55

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults and the connection appears to have remained stable since 29/07.

Have you tried splitting the SSID's? Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 9 of 10

Hi @Eveb55,

What make / model of router do you have ?

There are a few things you could try to see if it is Wi-Fi interference causing the problems.

Split the SSID's on the router, this will allow you to give the 2.4GHz and 5GHz network bands different names, so your Wi-Fi devices will then see those two networks separately, you can then try connecting to one or the other to see if one gives a more reliable connection than the other. Doing this in itself won’t fix the problem, but it makes it easier to troubleshoot as you can easily see what device is using what band.

Change the channels that your router broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal on, you can use free smartphone Apps like this to see what channels are being used within range of your smartphone, you can then change your router to use channels that are less congested.

If trying the above makes no difference then it may indicate an issue with the router, the staff here would be able to help with that, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post tomorrow.

0 Likes