FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping out and very low speed to router

Prof3282
Participant
Message 32 of 32

Hi. 
My wifi router keeps randomly dropping out and appearing to be rebooting (i.e. lights going off, flashing orange, flashing white, then back to bold white) itself. 
This happens multiple and random times during the day. 
One particular occasion on Tuesday 5th, it did this 5 times, pretty much in a row, in the space of about 10 minutes. 

Also, the service centre states that estimated speed to my router is 28mb - 49mb and the speed when I run a test is 1mb, and on the timeline, has been since as far back as the timeline goes. 

Any suggestions welcome. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31

Message 1 of 32

Hi

I've made a small change to the wifi setting in the router, see if this helps.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

0 Likes

Message 2 of 32

Hi.

Yes, I did a check myself and noticed that.

That is mainly the only time I have issues, yes, as it seems to have stabilised from what it was when I first raised the issue during lockdown.

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 32

Hi

I'm showing the connection is stable at 49mb.  Are you only seeing issues when using WiFi to stream ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 32

Hi Karl.

I am still having issues with slow speeds. The router isn't dropping out/restarting automatically now, but I am still seeing buffering etc... when using my Firestick/Netflix etc...

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 5 of 32

Hi

What issues are you having ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 32

Hi, and good  morning. I am aware that this is an old post, I was just wondering if it is now possible to send an engineer out to investigate my issue. Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 32

Hi Prof3282,

25.0Mbps is the sync speed, throughput speeds (speed test results) will always be lower

Your speed is below the guaranteed minimum so we would generally arrange an engineer visit to investigate at this point, but unfortunately we are unable to do this at the moment due to Covid restrications

I'm sorry that you're think of leaving but if you'd like to discuss leaving you would need to speak to our Loyalty Team - please see Cancel your TalkTalk service

Yes, it's worth splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, generally the 5 GHz bands are less congested 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 32

Hi.

I am also looking at managing my devices etc... now and also looking to maybe attach some to the 2.4ghz and some to the 5ghz channel.

Would that make any difference?

Thanks again for the advice and guidance etc...

0 Likes

Message 9 of 32

Hi. 
Thanks. 

I went on to the service centre yesterday and it stated that Speed to the router was 17mb, and today it has said 18. So still slower than 25, and also the minimum guaranteed speed of 27.6mb which was promised when I joined. 

I have an amazon fire stick that I use to watch Netflix etc...on and there is also buffering during viewing. 

Would all of this suggest the issue is outside of my house, from outside to my router, or from the router to my devices?

I did an internet speed test from my TV and it said 2mbps. 

This is all becoming very frustrating. 
Would you be able to let me know my options with regards to terminating my contract or being in a position of not being given the service promised. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 10 of 32

Hi Prof3282,

DLM changed your profile on the 25th and sync speed is now 25.0Mbps, there was one reconnection on the 25th when the profile changed but otherwise connection appears to have been stable - how has it been at your end since your last post?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 11 of 32

Hi. 

I was asked to bump the thread this morning with regards to my on going issue. 
I have had speed issues over the weekend and this morning. 
I am attempting to, and finding it difficult to, work from home and I am in education so it is becoming increasingly frustrating to try and keep students engaged while also doing what I am having to do on a daily basis. 

Any help on getting this sorted ASAP will be great. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 32

Hi

Please do not piggy back on to some ones open thread

Be so kind as to open yourself a new ticket

thanks

Message 13 of 32

My internet is slow. I upgraded yesterday. Buts it’s slower now than before. 

Speedy
0 Likes

Message 14 of 32

Thanks, no you don't need to do anything else

Chris

Message 15 of 32

Ok thanks.

Yes, I will do that.

I am guessing I don't need to do anything else from my end at the moment.

Thanks. 

0 Likes

Message 16 of 32

OK thanks

Removing the master socket faceplate disconnects extension wiring, that's why it's giving the line cord message

Could you bump the thread on Monday and we'll see if there's any further improvments

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 32

Hi.

Yes, I moved my landline system to that one (as I saw that this could be causing interference to the router etc...), but the message on the screen of the phones says 'PLEASE CHECK LINE CORD'

I barely, if at all use my landline to be honest so could do without it.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Message 18 of 32

Thanks for the information. Do you have anything connected to the other telephone socket?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 32

Hi. 

Thanks. 

Yes, no problem, I can leave the router connected to the test socket. Although, as far as leaving it there indefinitely, as mentioned, the cover is off the NTE 5C MK4 and the micro filter is attached, so I am guessing this will need to be recitified eventually. 

I have two telephone sockets. One in the living room and one in my bedroom.

I did a speed/connection test and it has consistently (since at least 31st December when I first decided to check) said that the speed to the router has been 1/2mb. 

Thanks again for the guidance and help.

0 Likes

Message 20 of 32

Hi Prof3282,

Your connection does look more stable and DLM is moving you to faster profiles

Could you leave the router connected to the test socket for the time being (you can leave it there indefinitely really) and we'll see if DLM improves your speed further

How many telephone sockets do you have?

Chris

0 Likes