FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping (wired connection stable)

ilove_yourmum
First Timer
Message 9 of 9

Recently we have noticed that the wifi is dropping multiple times a day - sometimes just hanging (e.g. webpages fail to load smoothly), sometimes more seriously (webpages not loading - ERR-NAME_NOT_RESOLVED in Chrome, for example, before then loading seconds later) and sometimes the wifi drops out altogether on multiple devices. This happens all over the house - including in the room with the hub. Primarily on 2.4Ghz but occasional issues on a Macbook on 5Ghz also.
We have multiple devices connected at once (typically 10+ on wifi - laptops, phones, tablets, smart devices etc) but there are only 2 internet users in the house, on a 80Mbps package.

No issues are noticed when using a device that is wired. For example, I can stream youtube on the TV which is wired into the hub with no lagging, but regularly lag on a wifi-connected laptop.

Similarly to this thread (https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre/WIFI-reports-internet-down-on-FAST5364-3-00/m-p/2786272#M3...) in that I see multiple DNS fails per minute listed in the log, but only to work-related urls.
Is it possible to try disabling wifi optimisation, in case this is causing some problems? We're in a detached house with few neighbours so it's likely unnecessary. I have updated phone number etc on my community account in advance of this. Many thanks

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Hi ilove_yourmum

That's great news, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Reporting back - this has prevented most instances of wifi dropping out, certainly significantly improved. Thanks again

Message 3 of 9
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 4 of 9

If not, let me know.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 5 of 9

Hi Debbie, Keith,

Many thanks. We'll monitor it over the next few days and will hopefully see an improvement.

Message 6 of 9

Hi ilove_yourmum

I have now switched off the WIFI optimisation.

@KeithFrench

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

ilove_yourmum
First Timer
Message 7 of 9

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your message.

We do have the sagemcom hub, yes. Not had the same problem with any other router, including a Huawei talktalk one. Typically there are no other home's networks listed to connect to here, as we are quite a distance from other homes. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Message 8 of 9

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

If you would like me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using? You do mention WiFi Optimisation, do you have the Sagemcom then?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they?