Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Wireless Extender

13 REPLIES 13
Rob875
Participant

I recently upgraded to Faster Fibre and got a useful increase in download speed.

I also purchased a Wifi Hub, hoping to improve wifi reception in the parts of the house furthest from the router, but there was no improvement over the Huawei HG635 I was using before. 

I have set the Huawei up as a wireless extender, using the guide "Powerline Adapters and Wireless Extenders" I found on this site, and now have a strong wifi signal across the whole house.

However, when both routers are turned on I have frequent problems loading websites, getting error messages such as "Your Talktalk router isn't connected to the internet" or "NET:ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID".  Retrying, or using a different browser, or restarting the routers may allow the website to load. Just turning off the Huawei and leaving the Wifi Hub on always allows websites to load, but of course I have the reduced wifi coverage.

I welcome any suggestions for easy solutions for successful use of the extender.

KeithFrench
Community Star

You must have configured something wrong on the Huawei, what have you changed from default?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Rob875
Participant

It's set up for the HG635 as on the attached guide

KeithFrench
Community Star

OK, you are using my guide.

Does this happen on all devices or just some. On the affected devices, which router are they connected to - please be certain (not simply which one do you think they are connected to)?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

Rob875
Participant

I have not checked which wifi devices are connected to each router, but it does also affect my main PC which is hard wired to the Wifi Hub. 

Rob875
Participant

Each router is set to a different channel.

When both routers are on at the same time, I cannot see detailed connectivity details for the HG635.

When both routers are on at the same time, I get a strong signal on my Android phone in a part of the house where I don't get a signal with just the Wifi Hub on. I can then access the internet on that device, but then often have the error messages when trying to access websites.

With each router connected in turn as the sole in use router, I can see that all devices will connect to either, but with some variation in signal strength.  

Rob875
Participant

Each router is set to a different channel.

When both routers are on at the same time, I cannot see detailed connectivity details for the HG635.

When both routers are on at the same time, I get a strong signal on my Android phone in a part of the house where I don't get a signal with just the Wifi Hub on. I can then access the internet on that device, but then often have the error messages when trying to access websites.

With each router connected in turn as the sole in use router, I can see that all devices will connect to either, but with some variation in signal strength.  

Dougie1
Participant

I have the same problem. I purchased the wifi extender kit a couple of days ago.  I connected it up as in the video and instructions.  Normally, I have 70mbps down and 20 mbps up. 

The problem is that the signal is weak in my living room and when I did a check up talktalk told me that the signal was poor on two of my computers causing the little circle to come up on the smart television. 

As per the instructions and the video,   I connected up the power unit to the router via the ethernet cable and switched it on and up it came with the green lights.  I then plugged in the wifi extender next to it, and switched it on and after a minute or so it also came up with the green lights.  I then took the wifi extender to the living room and put it on and after a minute or so, it connected up with the 3 green lights glowing and stable.  The bandwidth was poor, and I kept getting a ? on my wifi symbol on the computer.  The same problem happenned with the tv.  I put the extender next to the tv and connected up the ethernet cable and it got worse.  I removed the kit, factory reset the router and the kit.  I turned on the router after removing the wifi kit and everything returned to normal.  I have followed the instructions in the video and on the manual which came with it, but to no avail...Any ideas on what I can do to solve the problem please?

ATB

Dougie.

doug
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Dougie1 

If you want help, you cannot use someone else's thread.

To get help, you must start your own thread. To create your own thread, go to the main page for the board in question & click the "Start a topic" button.

TalkTalk insists on one thread per problem per customer. Please note, TalkTalk makes the rules, not me.

Thanks.

Keith

KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @Rob875 

If your PC that is connected via the Ethernet to the hub is affected by this, it sounds more like a possible fault or firmware bug on the HG635. When I wrote my guide I could only test in on an HG633, not an HG635 as I didn't have one. The menus are the same so I could only assume it would work OK.

Keith

Rob875
Participant

OK. I will work through, changing settings to see if I can isolate an issue, and may try swapping over the master / slave router option.

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Rob875

Sorry for the delay. How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

Dougie1
Participant
OK...Sorry I didn't know...gand sorry for the delay in replying I have spent the last wee while on trying to sort it out, but got nowhere. I will start off a new thread.
ATB
Dougie.
doug
OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Dougie,

Thank you and we will pick up your topic as soon as possible.

Thanks