FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woefull fibre broadband

Paul Atkin
Team Player
Message 17 of 17

Hello,

A few months ago I had a thread running titled 'broadband dropping out frequently' , at the end of which my service did seem to improve.

Now however, after renewing my contract, the problems are returning.

Frequently all connected devices lose internet connection even though my fancy new router continues to show no problems ie solid blue light.

These devices include phones, desktop pc and talk talk tv box.

I have just restarted the router which is now showing a solid blue light but no device can access the internet!! How come the router shows no problems when there clearly is a problem?

Regards

Paul

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 1 of 17

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to hear this. I still can't see your speed test results. Can I just confirm that you are running them using the TalkTalk Speed Tester? The wired speed results in your last post do look low based on the sync speed. Could you try powering down the router for a full 30 minutes and then run another wired speed test please as this will reset the session and can often increase the throughput speed.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 17

Hi,

I have carried out 4 more tests this evening, 2 wired and 2 wireless which hopefully you can see the results of.

If not, they were as follows;

Wired 14down/4.2up & 14.3down/4.1up

Wireless 12.3down/4.3up & 14.3down/4.3up

I don't see any appreciable difference between wired and wireless but noticed the following on my service status.

Speed to router 27Mbps download (status good)

Speed to device 14Mbps download/4Mbps upload (status poor)

I read this as Talktalk admitting that my service is poor! 

Why is there such a large discrepancy between speed to router & speed to device? I now have a new master socket, am running the most up to date router and there is no speed difference between wired and wireless connection.

These tests were carried out with only my PC using the connection with said PC being situated 3 metres from the router, in the same room. Surely 3 metres of clear air can't be responsible for the loss of 13Mbps

Why is there a drop of 13Mbps across the router? surely it is capable of transmitting more than 14Mbps!

I would welcome your thoughts on this because it makes absolutely no sense to me.

I have read on other posts about changing the router channel to get better connection speeds. I have logged in to my router this evening and note that it is on WLAN channel 4 but obviously I do not want to meddle with this without taking advice. 

Regards

Paul

0 Likes

Message 3 of 17

Hi Paul,

Did you run the speed test on the My Account speed checker, there are no current speed tests showing against your account. Could you try running a couple more let us know when you've done this

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 17

Hi Debbie,

I did wired/wireless tests back to back a few minutes ago, results as follows;

Wired 14 up/4.2 down

w/less 14.3 up/4.4 down

I guess this rules out any major issues with the wireless side of things.

Regards

Paul

0 Likes

Message 5 of 17

Hi Paul

Thanks for confirming this.

Please can you run the wired speed test using the TT speed tester so we can see the results?

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 6 of 17

Hi Debbie.

Yes I do leave a few minutes between tests and they were wireless.

I'll try to do a wired test this evening.

Regards

Paul

Message 7 of 17

Hi Paul

Thanks for keeping us updated.

In regards to the varying speed tests, were these wired or wireless?

Do you allow a couple of minutes in between running each speed test?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 8 of 17

Hi,

The Engineer visited as arranged on Friday and was extremely thorough.

A new master socket was installed and various line tests carried out which seemed to show no real problems with the hardware, however the speed to my router was extremely low. Backing this up were the results of several speed tests carried out the previous evening which showed 8 Mbps down and a pathetic 0.5 Mbps up. The engineer carried a line reset to try and remedy this.

Following the line reset the speed to router was 36 Mbps. This seemed encouraging and to be fair the connection has seemed much more stable over the weekend, but our internet use has been limited. My upload speed is now reliably in the 4-5 Mbps area which has enabled me to upload photos for printing which was virtually impossible previously. 

Download speed seems to fluctuate wildly, ranging between 8 & 16 Mbps, which seems a bit low with 36 Mbps supposedly being available at the router. Why is there such a discrepancy?

I guess I need to keep an eye on things over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Regards

Paul

0 Likes

Message 9 of 17

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply.

I have arranged the engineer visit for Friday 23/04 AM (8am - 1pm)

Please let us know how you get on following this visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 10 of 17

Hi Debbie,

Yes I understand the potential charges and my best availability is Fridays & Saturdays am or pm.

Regards

Paul

Message 11 of 17

Hi Paul

Please can you confirm potential engineer charges and provide your availability for this visit AM and PM?

Engineer charges

I can then arrange the engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 12 of 17

Hi,

If an engineer visit is the only available option then yes please can that be arranged?

Regards

Paul

0 Likes

Message 13 of 17

Hi Paul,

I've re-run the line test now which is clear, however the connection does look unstable. If you've tested with 2 different routers, cables and microfilters at the test socket and the connection is still unstable then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. Would you like to go ahead with this?

Thanks

Message 14 of 17

Hi, I am currently using the HG633 as the new router I was sent a few months ago (HG8041W) keeps losing connection briefly without showing an error i.e. single LED remains solid blue.

I re-installed the HG633 on Sunday when no devicescould access the internet even though the router continued to show no error. With the HG633 all devices could connect although the speed was atrocious (1Mbps down/0.1 up)

This evening I have been running speed tests using the tester on the Talktalk website and was initially getting 2.2 Mbps down and 0.5 Mbps up when connected via wifi.

I then used a wired connection between PC and router and got 22 down but still only 0.5 up and on reverting to wireless I'm now getting 21 down/0.5 up. This suggests to me the wired and wireless speeds are the same but varying massively.

0.5Mbps upload speed seems very low and I have been struggling to upload photos for printing as a result.

Also, whilst typing this reply, connection has been lost 3 times with an accompanying message saying 'intermittent sync' whatever that means. 

Please can you investigate why my speeds are varying so much and why connection is so un-stable? I am beginning to regret renewing my contract as I am sick and tired of these problems.

Regards

Paul

0 Likes

Message 15 of 17

Hi Paul

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Are you currently using the HG633 router?

0 Likes

Skynet_TX
Community Star
Message 16 of 17

Hi @Paul Atkin,

Which make of router is it, the Sagemcom (which has the bronze colour behind the holes on the front), or the Huawei (which is all black).

Are you having issues with both wired and wireless devices, or is it only affecting wireless.

The TalkTalk staff on this community will be able to help, they will hopefully be able to respond to this post within a working day or two.

0 Likes