NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection dropping and downstream stream reduced

akeel
Team Player
Message 1 of 12

Hi all,

wondering if someone can help and advise. For the last month or so  (possibly longer) I have noticed issues with my service where the connection drops. seems stable for about a day. its got to the point where i restart the router first thing in the morning to avoid issues as I work from home and am heavily dependant on a stable connection.

This is happening daily and becoming a bit of a pain so would like to get to the bottom of it.

I have also noticed my router is now shopwing 67.0 mbps as download and 20.0 mbps as upload this was a stable 80/20 for the past few years.

I have also noticed that I have noticed that the firmware has been updated at some point to sg4k10002808t although I cannot definitively say this coincides with when the issues started.

Any help or advice will be appreciated. I have tried the hard reset and connecting directly into the master socket (cover removed) with no effect.

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Akeel

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

Debbie-TalkTalk
Community Team - TT Staff
Message 2 of 12

Hi akeel

I'm really sorry to hear this.

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults but I can see re connections (daily reboots) which can affect the sync speed.

Does this affect wired connections as well as wireless?

Before you reboot the router could you test wired to see if you still experience this issue?

Thanks

Debbie

Message 3 of 12
Thanks for the response Debbie. Will try a wired device in the morning and feedback

Chris-TalkTalk
Message 4 of 12

Message 5 of 12
HI Debbie, not sure if you got my last update and apologies for the delay in response. I tried a wired device this morning and it messed up the wifi. my fone was still connected but i was unable to get to the login page. I just rebooted as I needed to start work. Is it possible to automate a daily restart? If so I can schedule a restart daily before i start work. its not ideal but will have to do as a work around if possible. Thanks
0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Message 6 of 12

Hi akeel

Apologies for this.

I think we should send a replacement router for testing, would you like me to arrange this?

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12
Hi Debbie,

Happy to test with a replacement router. Will it be on the same firmware version? just thinking if it is possible to get an older version one then we can rule out the firmware as well ( see if runs fine without firmware update) then if stable apply firmware update to see if it breaks) just a thought me be useful for future reference.

Thanks,

Akeel
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Message 8 of 12

Hi Akeel,

I've ordered another router to test with, it should be with you within a couple of days but please allow up to 5 working days for delivery 

The router my arrive with an older firmware version but this is usually automatically updated within 24 hours of connecting it

Chris

0 Likes

Message 9 of 12
Thanks Chris will give it a try and let you know.

Debbie-TalkTalk
Message 10 of 12

Hi akeel

Thank you, please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 12

Hi Debbie and Chris,

To keep you updated on this, the replacement route arrived yesterday I set this up yesterday evening. This was on an earlier version of the firmware (SG4K10001400t) for yesterday evening everything seemed ok.

The firmware then update over night, however in the morining I was still able to connect so all appeared well.

However through the course of the day i experienced worse issue thann before and am now baffled

so on multiple occasions throughout the day, the wifi would stop working but only on certain devices. so as an example, My work laptop would be be connected happily, then all of a sudded drop connection and display the message "connected- No internet" however at the same time my phone would remain connected and working. Restarting my laptop did not resolve the issue until i rebooted the router.

then again things were of for a little while but my phone displayed the same issue, "connected-no Internet" and again only way to get it connected was to restart the router.

This happened a few time during the day, I am going to switch back to my old router as  that would remain stable throughout the day as long as i did a restart in the morning.

Any further suggestions/tests to try will be appreciated. I've no idea now what could be the issue. I know my devices have not changed and everything was running stable  until recently.

Thanks for all yoiur help so far.

Akeel

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

Hi Akeel,

Thanks for testing this and I'm sorry to hear this. Is the laptop connected wired or wireless when the connection is lost? If all devices are connected wireless, have you tried separating the SSID's?

Split your router's SSID (wireless network name)

Thanks

0 Likes